cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charter Spectrum Internet

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good news for me according to latest online edition of Market Watch this quote from MW.

"Notably, Charter Spectrum CHTR, +6.31%, the country’s second-largest cable operator, doesn’t have caps, as this was a condition of the company’s purchase of Time Warner. That limitation is set to run out in May 2023. A company spokesperson noted that the Spectrum has no plan to implement caps. However, last year, the company requested that the Federal Communications Commission waive the stipulation from the merger, though it has since dropped the request as President Joe Biden took office."

Unlike other large Cable companies that are soon charging higher prices for exceeding data caps or reducing internet speeds. More and more yanks are using more and more broadband data all the time, etc thanks to Zoom and increased distant work and learning. Good on you uncle Joe Joe now send me $1400.00 ASAP. Cheers everyone.
21 REPLIES 21

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
I realize this thread is getting long in the tooth but wanted to comment that I just got an email from Spectrum saying they doubled my speed "at no extra cost" so I'm regularly at 230mb download speed. Of course we all know that "no extra cost" means the price will be going up again soon but I'll take the added speed!

I received the same letter yesterday, and an email tonight with the same message, but added based on my account information I need to replace the modem with one that will "optimize my internet experience ". The Spectrum issued modem we use (Arris TG1682) seems to be working fine. I speed tested on my phone which netted 216 mbps down and 11.7 mbps up. Why do I need another modem? Unless Spectrum can't remotely throttle the one I have if I stream to excess?

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I realize this thread is getting long in the tooth but wanted to comment that I just got an email from Spectrum saying they doubled my speed "at no extra cost" so I'm regularly at 230mb download speed. Of course we all know that "no extra cost" means the price will be going up again soon but I'll take the added speed!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Charter in WA Stater: $59.95 for internet at 110/10 ($10 of which is for landline with long-distance). This is just half of what Centurylink was charging for crappy internet and no long-distance.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
RayJayco wrote:
RobWNY wrote:

$74.99/Month for 100mb download and 10mb upload here in Western NY. It just went up last month. Previously it was $69.99 But....I just ran a speed test and I got 230mb download and 11mb upload. I don't know if this is a temporary increase in speed or just something they rolled out here and didn't advertise it. I was shocked that my speed was more than double what it usually is!

Did you clean your cache before running the speed test? If not, the results are meaningless...

Speed tests are dependent on time, traffic on the net at that moment, server location, and more things than one can count...

After reading your post, I cleaned my cache and checked again. Still 230+mb download speed. It has never been above 115mb on my 100mb plan in the past. I'm not going to call them up and ask why it's so fast now though LOL

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I pay 59.95 a month in Reno for CS and my internet speeds average between 106 to 133 mbs briefly dropping to 87mbs sometimes. No outages in the 6 to 7 years I have been customer. More than satisfied.

There are some real CS haters on the forum. Must be jealously:R by the J J folks.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
dennis1949 wrote:
What does this have tp do with RVing?

Did you read the forum description?

"Discussions regarding operation and technical aspects of the Web, computers, software, GPS, satellite TV, stereos and hi tech electronics for the wired RVer."

Nothing requiring posts be RV specific...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
A company spokesperson noted that the Spectrum has no plan to implement caps.

ISP's rarely announce public plans ahead of time to implement caps, they just do it. Having no plan to implement caps is much different than telling customers in writing "We will not implement caps".

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:

$74.99/Month for 100mb download and 10mb upload here in Western NY. It just went up last month. Previously it was $69.99 But....I just ran a speed test and I got 230mb download and 11mb upload. I don't know if this is a temporary increase in speed or just something they rolled out here and didn't advertise it. I was shocked that my speed was more than double what it usually is!

Did you clean your cache before running the speed test? If not, the results are meaningless...

Speed tests are dependent on time, traffic on the net at that moment, server location, and more things than one can count...
Inquiring minds want to know...

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
thomasmnile wrote:
I'm curious what does Charter/Spectrum charge for broadband out West? 70 bucks a month for 100mb download speed for me. The caveat being that's if your stuff is directly connected to the router, otherwise about 35mb through the wireless side. Generally works well.

Mybad. I forgot my broadband increased to $74.99 in November. But I'll take it, sure beats Century Link's fiber/not fiber speeds.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
dennis1949 wrote:
What does this have tp do with RVing?

Many campgrounds offer Wi-Fi. If the provider has "NO DATA CAPS" the Wi-Fi is .... Better.

Page 2

Many RVers are part time.. and can use this info at home.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
I'm curious what does Charter/Spectrum charge for broadband out West? 70 bucks a month for 100mb download speed for me. The caveat being that's if your stuff is directly connected to the router, otherwise about 35mb through the wireless side. Generally works well.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not so sure what all the hoopla here is about.

However, I can say that changing to Charter internet gave me the best broadband I've ever had. Fast, reasonable priced, and responsive installers.

Who knows what things will be like in 2 years!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
way2roll wrote:
So in summary - in 2 years, Spectrum won't have a legal restriction in place to put usage rates in ?

I am very happy to take those two years sport. Cheers to you

Me too. I am not borrowing trouble concerning myself with what will happen in 2 years but it's a nice heads up.

Cheers back at ya.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS