cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Craig Co. to Canon City Co

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
Best route in August pulling a 38' fifth wheel.
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
8 REPLIES 8

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
navybanker wrote:

Alternative to prior suggestions - US 40 to Steamboat, then south on CO 131 to I-70 at Wolcott. I-70 east to US 24, then south on US 24 through Leadville to Buena Vista, picking up US 285 to Salida then US 50 on to Canon City.

Only pass of any consequence is Tennessee Pass before you get to Leadville and it's not difficult, with just a couple of switchbacks, certainly not daunting.

Only Suggestion on this Route would be to take the time to spend the night at Stagecoach State Park just after Steamboat off RT 131 - Beautiful State Park right on the Lake.

Just a thought, Both Thom and 4runnerguy Know Colorado and the roads that work, Now you have a few options.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
navybanker wrote:

Alternative to prior suggestions - US 40 to Steamboat, then south on CO 131 to I-70 at Wolcott. I-70 east to US 24, then south on US 24 through Leadville to Buena Vista, picking up US 285 to Salida then US 50 on to Canon City.

Only pass of any consequence is Tennessee Pass before you get to Leadville and it's not difficult, with just a couple of switchbacks, certainly not daunting.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
navybanker wrote:
Notice several mountain passes on this route. I have pulled over some before on our travels but this many will be more than all those put together! However, don't see other routes thus far in my planning. How are the passes? Switch backs are the concern not just the altitudes. Thanks,
Rabbit Ears Pass isn't much of a problem in your travel direction as it is two lanes uphill most of the way to the summit so just keep right and you'll do fine. The grade down the other side is an easy one. Lots of RV's on both these passes.

Hoosier Pass just south of Breckenridge has some switchbacks as you approach the summit. So switchbacks on the downhill side of that pass. I think your biggest issues might be the traffic in Steamboat Springs and Breckenridge, esp. if it's a weekend.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
navybanker wrote:
Notice several mountain passes on this route. I have pulled over some before on our travels but this many will be more than all those put together! However, don't see other routes thus far in my planning. How are the passes? Switch backs are the concern not just the altitudes. Thanks,

OK might just be me, ....... no argument with Rabbit Ears then to Kremmling the RT 9 along the River to I-70 but here's where I'd add/attempt to make this More Fun and More Beautiful, IMHO, ๐Ÿ™‚ - Head west on I-70 to RT 91 Leadville then RT 24 on South past Twin Lakes - along the Arkansas River through Buena Vista and on to Salida then from Salida take RT 50 to Canyon City.

MAP

While the Elevation goes up and Down, the Grades - other than Rabbit Ears Pass - is/are all pretty easy, and you will be in some of Colorado's most beautiful Drives.

Optional side trips; All are worth a day or two extra. ๐Ÿ™‚ In the TV.
RT 24 to Minturn and Back.
Up Independence Pass to Maroon Bells in Aspen and Back.
After lunch at K's in Buena Vista a drive over Cottonwood Pass to Crested Butte and Back.- if that's too far just drive down through town to the Town Park Beautiful.
Salida - need a good long drive Try Monarch Pass or just again to the Town Park on the River.

If that does mess your thought process up, nothing will Although Leadville is at 10,000 feet getting there is just Easy, then you are following the River - Down - really easy.

There you go - just trying to make the drive as Beautiful as possible - I Love the Collegiate Peaks.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It took me longer, but that is me!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
East on US 40 to Kremming, then CO 9 South to Canon City.
Did this numerous years ago.

Yep^^^^

240 miles.....6 hour trip with rest/pee stops
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
East on US 40 to Kremming, then CO 9 South to Canon City.
Did this numerous years ago.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker