cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for reliable travel trailer

PuebloBonito
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about buying a travel trailer, but not sure what size. It's just two of us. With COVID-19, we would like somewhere to go on the weekend and not stay in a hotel.

Which one has nice accommodations for sleeping and cooking?
22 REPLIES 22

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
PuebloBonito wrote:

All of them, except a tent trailer.

You really need to start visiting your local RV dealers and check out their inventory. Also, your tow vehicle will dictate the size of TT you can safely tow.

Lol, my old pop up was the longer then my TT when opened up, 2 king beds, dinette, couch and wet bath. Only thing missing was a the storage up high and the ablity to walk in without opening it. . Otherwise , basicly the same stuff. Heater ,ac, fridge was smaller. Cooking the same also, same stove. No oven. But how often do you need those.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
You can do what we did when we first thought of RVing. We took our best guess at what we wanted and rented a similar unit for a week or ten days.

There is a lot more to RVing than just camping, There is the 8 to 9 MPG on gas, traveling about 5 or 6 hours a day, driving 65 MPH and bring passed by everything, making sure you have a place to camp during the busy season.

Renting an RV is not cheap, but it shows you a lot before you spend the big bucks.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Maybe not good advice in these pandemic days but how about renting a 26 foot class C for a weekend or two to get an idea if the RVing lifestyle is really for you?
If your city allows you could even camp in your driveway for a weekend!

This is the best idea. Too many people buy a unit and find out it's really not their cup of tea, then lose their shirts on it when they sell it.

There are places that you can rent a travel trailer from and they will deliver it to the site you want for the days you want. It works best with private CGs because you can call ahead and make all the arrangements. And some of the private CGs will be able to recommend an RV dealer that rents trailers.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Rockwood (Flagstaff is the same) and Airstream.

AFAIK those are the most reliable, highest fit n' finish and quality out there. For the price and quality I went with Rockwood.

You also get a lot of features and upgrades in these 2 models that are valuable (Rockwood you can do auto level, upgraded suspension, and a lot more)

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S.. Large tanks. Great floorpan

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to remember being in Colorado is altitude. An engine without a turbo or supercharger loses about 30% of its power at 10,000 ft.Many passes in CO are higher than that.What that means is that you will need more tow vehicle for the same trailer in CO than you would at sea level. Not only for climbing the passes but, also for descending.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

Like asking which truck for pulling a trailer. Answer generally run my brand/etc is best.
They all will do what your asking. The main thing is choose the one that YOU like in the price range YOU can afford and in a size YOUR tow vehicle can safely tow.
Good hunting
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
22 to 25 ft models make good "couples" trailers. Depends on seating and beds, but I see a lot in that size range described that way.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Living in Colorado is a great place to start RVing.
If you like to RV, this first unit probably isn't going to be your last. As stated before on here; your current tow vehicle is a consideration. Don't bet your life and future on a salesman's tale about what he has to offer. Look, ask other travelers, consider price, and think about what you folks like to do and see. For example, small trailers will allow you access to forest campgrounds and boondocking.
Have fun and see you out there

poorboy
Explorer
Explorer
I would find out your tow veh. limits, subtract about 20 percent and then go to RV shows and see what suits your fancy.
2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remember that the bigger the TT gets, the more complicated it gets. Tandem axles equal twice as many tires, and hubs. Slides could mean troubles with slide mechanisms, leaks in the slide seals, and possible troubles using the interior unless the slide is extended. If you are planning on camping in the national parks, you can be limited to shorter TT's.
My wife and I started with tents, went to popups, small Class C, and are on our second TT. The current TT will be around a long time because we like the fact that the dining area is like a green house. It is mostly windows on entire rear. It also tows very well because it is a single axle 17' unit. We don;t need more room because we spend most of our time outdoorsunless we are sleeping or it is raining or really cold.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

CampinHappy
Explorer
Explorer
You "can" cook in a pop-up, but not advised since the smoke/smell will get into the fabric. We really don't cook much in the trailer unless it's something small. We just purchased a new trailer (we get it Saturday!) that has an outside kitchen that I'll use most of the time. But we can cook inside as well but the stoves are usually pretty small and I've tried cooking in the ovens and they just never cook near the same as a home oven due to the size.
CampinHappy
West Texas Region
2021 Premier 29RK, 2017 F-150 pulling it fine
Former covered wagons include:

2007 K-Z Spree 240 BH with triple bunks for my 3 amigos
Formerly a 99 Coleman Niagara PUP
wife version 1.0 (so far :B) 4 boys who have flown the coop ๐Ÿ™‚

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
PuebloBonito wrote:

All of them, except a tent trailer.

You really need to start visiting your local RV dealers and check out their inventory. Also, your tow vehicle will dictate the size of TT you can safely tow.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Get the vaccine and save your money. RV prices are high as demand is super high. Campgrounds, RV parks and State parks were already crowded before the pandemic. They've become even worse now.

If you do want to get a travel trailer then I'd recommend a Lance. While they may have some issues like the rest, their construction materials are better than most. No luan in the walls, no batt insulation, higher grade exterior wall finish and light enough to be towed with smaller vehicles.
Problem is they demand a higher price than others in the same size category.