cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water leak in trailer??

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2019 Cherokee 274vfk and we've had it for over two years. Up until this week we've always been able to use a utility water hookup. Because of cold weather we've been using the fresh water tank and water pump.

About every 30 minutes I'll hear the water pump "burp" like it's building pressure which has me concerned that there may be a leak somewhere in the fresh water system. I've inspected the plumbing everywhere I can access it and can find no sign of a leak. There's no sign of any leaks under the travel trailer. However, we had a bad experience with a previous travel trailer that had a small leak in the shower with the water getting trapped in the insulation under the floor and we weren't aware of the leak until there was a rot problem in the floor.

I guess my next step when I get home will be to winterize the trailer by following my usual procedure of blowing out the lines with compressed air. However, I'll rig up a pressure gauge that will allow me to pressurized the system, shut off a valve with the air bottled up and then watch the gauge to see if there is a leak.

If there is a leak, what's the best way to find it?

I'm hoping that the occasional "burp" in the water pump is just a leaking check valve.

Thanks for any advice!

Bill J., Lexington, KY
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.
7 REPLIES 7

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same issue and it was the check valve. Another way to test (weather permitting) is to hook up water to your trailer. If your water tank eventually starts running out the overflow this will also indicate the check valve is leaking on the water pump.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you add the check valve and still have a leak I'd borrow a vacuum leak smoke machine from a friendly mechanic, they work very well for pinpointing relatively small leaks.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every 30 minutes is a small leak....loss of system pressure

Could be:
Pump Internal check valve
WH Tank T&P Relief Valve weeping
WH Tank Drain Plug leaking
City Water Inlet Check Valve leaking
Fittings Hot/Cold on WH Tank, Sinks, Showers (inside/outside), Toilet
Fittings on Hot/Cold Water Lines at 'T' s
Low Point Drains Hot/Cold dripping

Wrap Toilet Paper around fittings/connections and then check later if damp
Inspect T&P, Drain Plug, City Inlet, low point drains for dripping

Using Pump can sometimes clear the check valve
***One reason I always use pump only ---short cycles w/o demand indicates a leak
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
A1B00902 wrote:
It may not be a leak,as it could be a weak pump letting water to drain back into the fresh water tank

2X Add an inline check valve to see it this solves the problem. Or you can rebuild the pump
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

A1B00902
Explorer
Explorer
It may not be a leak,as it could be a weak pump letting water to drain back into the fresh water tank

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Don’t leave the pump on IMO. My current RV doesn’t burp but others did.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
sounds like a good plan, how to find the leak. gotta check every fitting. do the easy ones first.