cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How dependable are newer trucks with higher mileage?

Wildcat63
Explorer
Explorer
So I am starting to look for a new to me truck and can’t believe the prices for used trucks these days. I really want a crew cab long bed so I am looking at 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. This will probably be my daily driver but not a lot of miles put n it each year.

My question is if I get a truck with 80-100,000 miles on it will it start having issues that will have to keep being fixed or will I need a transmission in 20,000 miles. I will be picky in what I buy but what have others experienced. I live in an area where any real old trucks are either rusty like my current truck. I don’t want to buy a money pit.
Wildcat63
07 Coachmen Clipper Classic 1070ST
71 REPLIES 71

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Devo the dog wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Just be careful what you wish for.

I not wishing for much.

Let me give you a simple example: out of EVERY car or truck my wife and I have owned over the last 27 years has only had a problem one with the AC or heater, and that problem was solved. And, that's 7 different manufacturers ranging many years.

Only one vehicle has had a problem with the AC and heater that the dealer and manufacture hasn't been able to fix: the 2019 Ram.

It works randomly. I have a warranty. Yet, a warranty isn't very useful if the result is "it doesn't work yet."

Is that too much to wish for? A functional heater? A functional AC?

Everyone keeps on jumping to the stupid conclusion that ALL manufactures have problems. I'm aware of that. But, how come every vehicle we have owned from 7 different manufactures have been built and sold with functional AC and functional heaters? It's not rocket science.

Furthermore, I could go back years prior to the list of cars before my wife, which had heaters that worked:
1962 VW bug with 36 hp engine
1965 Ford Mustang
1974 Porsche 914-6 (one of two sold in California - also had AC that worked)
1981 VW rabbit convertible
1985 Ford Mustang GT 5.0
1985 Ford F250 (built 460 but no AC)

That's not even the whole list. The only common theme is that this is the first Ram/Dodge I've ever owned and the first anyone in the immediate family has owned.

It has a heater that works randomly. And, AC that works randomly. And, a 12" screen/radio that randomly reboots.

And I can't get the dealer under warranty to fix it.

A functional heater ands AC isn't much to "wish" for, since you point it out. Having it fixed isn't too much to ask for either.

The OP asked a simple question: How dependable are newer trucks with higher mileage. I answered the question with facts about the simple problems that my 2019 Ram has. Many of the problems are common with other 2019 owners:
1. AC issues
2. Surging as a result of a recalls
3. Clunks
4. Radio problems
etc. etc.

And I'm not even bringing up the CP4 fear that others have. I'm merely providing facts about common problems that currently exist. Not one that can happen, but hasn't yet happened.

If the Ram has common problems and dealerships are well known in the Ram world to really suck, guess what my response is?

Avoid newer Rams because the dealership suck and they can't fix problems that the manufacture can't fix.

Why do I say that? This is the first vehicle that I've ever owned that doesn't have a functional heater and 4 different dealerships have been unable to address it.

Don't even bother bringing up lemon laws. It doesn't qualify - not even close.

Another common reply is also bizarre: sell it and buy something different. How stupid is that? The simple solution is for the dealer/manufacture to fix a simple problem that's under warranty. I'm not complaining solely that the truck has problems. I'm primarily complaining that the dealers and manufacture are inept. Substandard is another word I've used. I could use stupid but don't want to insult the other stupid manufactures and dealers. No one to date has been as stupid as Ram. Even though I'd place BMW up there with stupid, you can't blame BMW when the stupidest people on the planet are BMW owners.

My truck has a clunk and there's a TSB because it's a common problem. Why is it so difficult for Ram to address a known problem and fix it? My wife even hears the clunking and she finds it annoying. She also sees the radio shut off and reboot, just like it did yesterday. She also is annoyed when it's super hot and you can't turn on the AC, and when it's cold and the only heat that works is the seat heater. And, she has also noticed when the truck bucks when pulling a trailer up a hill. Yada yada yada. But the ram dealerships are beyond stupid.

Here's another odd observation: long time dodge owners defend dodge/Ram as vehemently as they hate dodge/ram. They, not me, complain about the "stealerships" and the manufacture on and on and on. But, if someone points out a problem like I have, they become the biggest defenders of the dealerships and manufacture, and I become the bad guy. It's bizarre.

The dealers should have access to a field rep or engineer for more technical problems, but sometimes the root cause is the design and no repair or band aid will fix it. Case in point my BIL purchased a brand new 2009 Dodge Ram 6.7 cummins and it had non stop CEL which were soot clogged DPF/Turbo problems and all the dealer could do was run a can of cleaning into the turbo, clean the EGR valve, run a regen, clear the CEL, recommend to run the exhaust break all the time and send him on his way knowing that in a month he would be back with the same CEL like many others. It was so bad that the dealer told him the only real fix would be do have it deleted, but when asked what about warranty coverage they would say they would work with him. After 9 months of this he sold it, found a 07 Dodge Ram in Arizona with the proven 5.9 cummins bought a plane ticket and drove that truck back to Texas, and we still own it as one of our farm/ranch trucks. It's previous nick name was the purple people eater with it's purple aftermarket transmission.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lemon Law!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
4x4ord wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I understand how a truck can be more or less great but have an annoying issue
I have a 2019 Duramax. The low coolant indicator light come on however the truck is not low on coolant. The dealer has had it 3 times and no fix. I can dismiss the warning with the push of a button however it still annoying.
Now do I go into the dealer and escalate the issue and demand a fix or due I quietly deal with this annoying issue.
For the record my dealer and GM are aware of the problem it is not an isolated issue to just my truck.
On a much smaller scale because I have just one issue I understand where "Devo the Dog" is coming from. If there are TSB on all the items as he states Ram/Dodge are really letting him down.
By the way why would a large company like Dodge change the name/branding unless they are seeking a fresh start or want to avoid there past association with the Dodge brand? Can you imagine Ford Rebranding F-series or Chevy rebranding Silverado?

You're ignoring the light when it comes on, so, unplug the sensor and call it fixed.

Your more or less right. My issue is I haven't made enough fuss about it. I should not have unplug anything on a new truck. If I wanted a project I could have kept my old truck.
I've been nice the entire time. But this is one of those times where the squeaky wheel get the grease. I need to demand a proper fix which requires a new coolant container. I imagine the dealer knows that as well and have been reluctant to complete the repair as long as I'm not complaining loudly.
I guess its time to squeak loudly....:)
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

I not wishing for much.

Let me give you a simple example: out of EVERY car or truck my wife and I have owned over the last 27 years has only had a problem one with the AC or heater, and that problem was solved. And, that's 7 different manufacturers ranging many years.

Only one vehicle has had a problem with the AC and heater that the dealer and manufacture hasn't been able to fix: the 2019 Ram.

It works randomly. I have a warranty. Yet, a warranty isn't very useful if the result is "it doesn't work yet."

Is that too much to wish for? A functional heater? A functional AC?

Everyone keeps on jumping to the stupid conclusion that ALL manufactures have problems. I'm aware of that. But, how come every vehicle we have owned from 7 different manufactures have been built and sold with functional AC and functional heaters? It's not rocket science.

Furthermore, I could go back years prior to the list of cars before my wife, which had heaters that worked:
1962 VW bug with 36 hp engine
1965 Ford Mustang
1974 Porsche 914-6 (one of two sold in California - also had AC that worked)
1981 VW rabbit convertible
1985 Ford Mustang GT 5.0
1985 Ford F250 (built 460 but no AC)

That's not even the whole list. The only common theme is that this is the first Ram/Dodge I've ever owned and the first anyone in the immediate family has owned.

It has a heater that works randomly. And, AC that works randomly. And, a 12" screen/radio that randomly reboots.

And I can't get the dealer under warranty to fix it.

A functional heater ands AC isn't much to "wish" for, since you point it out. Having it fixed isn't too much to ask for either.

The OP asked a simple question: How dependable are newer trucks with higher mileage. I answered the question with facts about the simple problems that my 2019 Ram has. Many of the problems are common with other 2019 owners:
1. AC issues
2. Surging as a result of a recalls
3. Clunks
4. Radio problems
etc. etc.

And I'm not even bringing up the CP4 fear that others have. I'm merely providing facts about common problems that currently exist. Not one that can happen, but hasn't yet happened.

If the Ram has common problems and dealerships are well known in the Ram world to really suck, guess what my response is?

Avoid newer Rams because the dealership suck and they can't fix problems that the manufacture can't fix.

Why do I say that? This is the first vehicle that I've ever owned that doesn't have a functional heater and 4 different dealerships have been unable to address it.

Don't even bother bringing up lemon laws. It doesn't qualify - not even close.

Another common reply is also bizarre: sell it and buy something different. How stupid is that? The simple solution is for the dealer/manufacture to fix a simple problem that's under warranty. I'm not complaining solely that the truck has problems. I'm primarily complaining that the dealers and manufacture are inept. Substandard is another word I've used. I could use stupid but don't want to insult the other stupid manufactures and dealers. No one to date has been as stupid as Ram. Even though I'd place BMW up there with stupid, you can't blame BMW when the stupidest people on the planet are BMW owners.

My truck has a clunk and there's a TSB because it's a common problem. Why is it so difficult for Ram to address a known problem and fix it? My wife even hears the clunking and she finds it annoying. She also sees the radio shut off and reboot, just like it did yesterday. She also is annoyed when it's super hot and you can't turn on the AC, and when it's cold and the only heat that works is the seat heater. And, she has also noticed when the truck bucks when pulling a trailer up a hill. Yada yada yada. But the ram dealerships are beyond stupid.

Here's another odd observation: long time dodge owners defend dodge/Ram as vehemently as they hate dodge/ram. They, not me, complain about the "stealerships" and the manufacture on and on and on. But, if someone points out a problem like I have, they become the biggest defenders of the dealerships and manufacture, and I become the bad guy. It's bizarre.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
4x4ord wrote:

You're ignoring the light when it comes on, so, unplug the sensor and call it fixed.

Not typically that easy anymore. Been a while since the 1980s/90s....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
I have a 2019 Duramax. The low coolant indicator light come on however the truck is not low on coolant. The dealer has had it 3 times and no fix. I can dismiss the warning with the push of a button however it still annoying.
Now do I go into the dealer and escalate the issue and demand a fix or due I quietly deal with this annoying issue.
For the record my dealer and GM are aware of the problem it is not an isolated issue to just my truck.
On a much smaller scale because I have just one issue I understand where "Devo the Dog" is coming from. If there are TSB on all the items as he states Ram/Dodge are really letting him down.
By the way why would a large company like Dodge change the name/branding unless they are seeking a fresh start or want to avoid there past association with the Dodge brand? Can you imagine Ford Rebranding F-series or Chevy rebranding Silverado?

2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ya never know. Yes I understand there are bad Dealer Service Centers at ALL brands. I also know there are good ones from personal experience. KarMart Chrysler in Burlington, WA along with Crystal Chrysler in Cathedral City, CA are two I have had great experiences with.

There is a thing called a Lemon Law, suggest using it if they can't fix your issues. These trucks are easy to diagnose as everything is computer controlled.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Devo, if you think the grass is any greener, jump the fence and give it a taste.
You may not have had many new vehicles as a basis of comparison for issues and dealer warranty service, and I’ve only personally owned 2 vehicles in my entire life with a warranty, but have had 25 or so new company trucks and the experience of seeing or being responsible for 100s of them.
It’s not Ram, not Ford, not GM. They all have issues or they don’t and the dealers services are all bad, or they’re not.
Brand new Chevy truck last week. Love it! But all the speakers have randomly quit working twice now.
Last truck, 2016 model Chevy, had a trans problem under warranty, 9 weeks and 3 attempts later, got the truck back. But got a loaner the whole time.
Our Charger, warranty radiator replacement. Nice service. Gave the wife a loaner car, bad mechanics. Came back a half gallon low on coolant, air cleaner clamps loose and one hose clamp half installed.
Different dealer took our 2016 Ram in for tsb and recalls because it had never been to the dealer in 3 years w previous owner. ALL issues fixed promptly and correctly and no hassle about my request to NOT weld the drag link.

Fords? Have had a pile of them. All company owned work trucks. Most of them good to great. 1 pseudo lemon, 1 lemon, good and bad dealer competence.
2015 F250 had an electrical issue that 2 different dealers couldn’t fix. I didn’t pursue it further because I turned the truck in for a new one and it was someone else’s problem then.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Sounds like you should trade it in on a Ford or GM.

If I did that, at least I'd end up with a better truck, instead of a cummins bolted to a hunk of metal and plastic, which many ignorantly call a truck only because of the badge.;)

Or maybe I could find a Ram dealer that is able to fix all the problems. My confidence is low for two reasons:
1) if you read the dodge forums, the fan-boys consistently blast the dealers for incompetence.
2) from personal experience, the fan boys are correct. The Ram dealership's are really that bad.

I do know of one dealer that is competent but it's 3 states away. And, it's a Ford dealer that also does factory service (warranty work, etc) on Ram trucks. Two computer systems under one roof but with competent Ford mechanics. LOL.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

I have a '19 3500's have done the same thing. They replaced the antifreeze reservoir on it and it has not happened since then.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Devo the dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Devo the dog wrote:
Other than the constant annoying problems, the Ram is great. I just wish it didn't have the constant annoying problems.

I don't understand how a truck can be considered great with constant annoying problems or perhaps my expectations are simply too high.

Only problem mentioned was a heater. Nice to get some real examples

Maybe I don't post the problems because I don't care enough to spew the information on the internet. An Internet forum doesn't fix problems that the dealer can't fix because the manufacture doesn't have a fix, which makes a warranty useless.

But, if you want a list:
1. Transmission issues: bucks when pulling a load up a hill. It's next to impossible to document. Initially, it only happened 4 times during a 10 day trip across 5 states and back. Now, it happens frequently but only pulling a heavy load up a hill.
2. AC will not turn on if the outside temperature is too low. For example, if I'm getting baked in the sun driving into it, and it's 68 degrees outside, I cannot turn on the AC because it will not turn on no matter what I do. Documented.
3. Heater has the same issues but it's very random. It could be 25 degrees outside and we could have the heater on high. 15 miles later, it's still blowing cold air.
4. The truck pops whenever the front suspension nears full droop.
5. The first recall (emissions recall, which was required for registration) took two dealer visits to get done.
6. 2nd recall isn't done yet (bed step replacement). Will the 2nd dealer visit fix it? Won't know until I setup another appointment weeks in advance, take it to them, and leave it for ____ days until I hear something.
7. Radio randomly turns off. Have lots of photos of it off, restarting, etc. Not fixed yet.
8. Rust is starting to show thru the paint.

Satisfied?

A truck is more than a stupid cummins engine.

Sounds like you should trade it in on a Ford or GM. IMHO the CUMMINS is not "Stupid". 😉

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:

I would have given the F450 a real hard look.... But it has a CP4.

I've considered trading in the Ram for a Ford. The CP4 issue is the same whether I own a Ford or a Peugeot. And, I don't have a CP4 problem, only other problems.

But to get the same or better, turning radius, I'd have to get the F450, the ugly DRW fenders, etc.

So, I'll wait. Maybe by 2022 or 2023, Ram will be able to fix the current problems. LOL. Or maybe Ford will make a few changes.

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Devo the dog wrote:
Other than the constant annoying problems, the Ram is great. I just wish it didn't have the constant annoying problems.

I don't understand how a truck can be considered great with constant annoying problems or perhaps my expectations are simply too high.

Only problem mentioned was a heater. Nice to get some real examples

Maybe I don't post the problems because I don't care enough to spew the information on the internet. An Internet forum doesn't fix problems that the dealer can't fix because the manufacture doesn't have a fix, which makes a warranty useless.

But, if you want a list:
1. Transmission issues: bucks when pulling a load up a hill. It's next to impossible to document. Initially, it only happened 4 times during a 10 day trip across 5 states and back. Now, it happens frequently but only pulling a heavy load up a hill.
2. AC will not turn on if the outside temperature is too low. For example, if I'm getting baked in the sun driving into it, and it's 68 degrees outside, I cannot turn on the AC because it will not turn on no matter what I do. Documented.
3. Heater has the same issues but it's very random. It could be 25 degrees outside and we could have the heater on high. 15 miles later, it's still blowing cold air.
4. The truck pops whenever the front suspension nears full droop.
5. The first recall (emissions recall, which was required for registration) took two dealer visits to get done.
6. 2nd recall isn't done yet (bed step replacement). Will the 2nd dealer visit fix it? Won't know until I setup another appointment weeks in advance, take it to them, and leave it for ____ days until I hear something.
7. Radio randomly turns off. Have lots of photos of it off, restarting, etc. Not fixed yet.
8. Rust is starting to show thru the paint.
9. Surge. I never had it and ignored the others complaints. Then out of the blue, it started happening and is so bad, passengers feel it, and ask.

Satisfied?

A truck is more than a stupid cummins engine.