Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How dependable are newer trucks with higher mileage?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How dependable are newer trucks with higher mileage?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shelbyfv wrote:

IME, it's not the engine and transmission that cause headaches above 100,000. There's lots of other stuff that can and will go bad. Tolerance for dealing with that and the ability to get stuff fixed properly varies. Having a trusted mechanic or shop could sway the decision. I'm on the fence now with a 100,000 mile F150. Runs well, no rust, comfortable, etc. At my age I'll only be towing a couple more years. BUT.... I've had a water pump replacement that turned into a $1500 screw up. Later on a cracked radiator that I'm 99% sure was the Ford dealers fault, another $1000. I'm probably an idiot to keep going back to the dealer (I've tried two) but I don't seem to have another option. Financially it's surely better to keep fixing stuff for two more years as opposed to $50,000+ for a new truck, but having those two years w/o all this drama is appealing.

This is an accurate assessment, IMO.
And the "cost" (noone can predict exactly what the vehicle will need) is heavily dependent on the knowledge and ability of the owner to perform repairs. Personally I consider virtually any water pump replacement, for example, to be a $100-200 parts cost and a few hours of my time. And a radiator replacement to be $200-400 depending on the vehicle and again a few hours of my time. If $300-600, in my world turns to $1500-2500 for 2 repairs (and multiplied by whatever else might need fixed), high miles seems much less attractive.

And none of it is an exact science, it boils down to an unknown combination of how the vehicle was maintained and cared for, common issues, not so common issues, normal lifespan of some components and some luck.

Will you spend more on a 100k mile truck purchase + repairs in another 100k miles of use compared to a new truck and the first 100k miles of use? Not likely. But then you also need to figure the total cost of ownership (again not an exact science) including purchase price, repair cost (estimated, throw a number at it) and salvage value.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I gave the best source for all the good and bad and that's not good enough.

No, it's not because it has nothing to do with my answer to the OP's question.

I provided reasons why not to buy a 2019 Ram. You want to prove that the problems don't exist because your truck, which is a different model year, doesn't have the problems, and a website exists that claims theses trucks are the gold standard.

None of that changes the existing problems with the 2019's, that are addressed by TSBs, recalls, and unknown fixes that haven't been issued by the manufacture.

But I understand that you're in love with your truck. Enjoy its company on Valentines. LOL.

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui (La fiat wee-wee), I understand why.
The only thing more incompetent than Ram is Bye-don and his supporters.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devo the dog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I gave the best source for all the good and bad and that's not good enough.

No, it's not because it has nothing to do with my answer to the OP's question.

I provided reasons why not to buy a 2019 Ram. You want to prove that the problems don't exist because your truck, which is a different model year, doesn't have the problems, and a website exists that claims theses trucks are the gold standard.

None of that changes the existing problems with the 2019's, that are addressed by TSBs, recalls, and unknown fixes that haven't been issued by the manufacture.

But I understand that you're in love with your truck. Enjoy its company on Valentines. LOL.

Incredible.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Wildcat63

MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, thanks for all the replies, my current truck is a 93 GMC K1500 with 233,000 miles. I replaced the transmission at 213,000 and it’s reliable but getting up there in years. I really wouldn’t trust it for a cross country trip. Most of its issues are age related, like I had to replace the headlight switch and the plastic the switch screws into the dash bezel disintegrated. It’s a great hauler for stuff to the dump and running around town but it’s time to start keeping my eye out for a replacement. Thanks for the responses.

Wildcat63
07 Coachmen Clipper Classic 1070ST

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Incredible.

Yes, it is incredible that Dodge could have such a cult-like following. I guess to some owners, all that matters is that the dodge truck has a cummins engine - the rest of the truck is meaningless metal and plastic.

The other manufactures understand that there is more to a truck. It can ride smooth. It can have comfortable seats, and a nice interior. It can have AC that works. A decent transmission. A radio that doesn't shut off randomly. Even a front suspension that you don't need to weld so it stays aligned. LOL.

I'm glad I kept my 2005 Ford because I have something to drive when the ram is in the shop. It's never had a problem. Not one. Nothing. All I do is change fluids and the typical maintenance and wear items. The ram has had more problems in one year of ownership than any other car my wife and I have owned over the last 20 years, combined.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devo the dog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"I think your assumptions that those issues are widespread throughout Ram trucks are a bit grandiose."

Let me use one of the engineering and manufacturing problems as an example:

The AC.

There is a TSB to replace the AC unit because the Peugeot was too stupid to copy the design of every other auto manufacture that exists on the planet.

The fix is to remove the dashboard, which means remove the trim, to replace the entire AC unit.

Why? Ram didn't include a diverter valve on the heater hose inlet.

Seriously? Even my wife understand how stupid this is.

So, if you do a simple Ram Forum search, the easiest way for a 2019 Ram owner to improve the AC performance to install a shut off valve on the heater hose inlet. If you shut off hot water to the heater core, it'll improve the AC performance, which is why EVERY other manufacture on the planet has been doing this for 20+ years. Ram didn't. LOL.
So, they now have a TSB to replace the AC unit behind the dash.

Whoops.

Why didn't Ram just copy what every other Manufacture has done for decades by Including a diverter valve that shuts off hot water to the heater core when you want Max AC?

Because too many owners will accept it, and defend it.

NICE you took someone else's quote and put my name with it.

jshupe is who said "I think your assumptions that those issues are widespread throughout Ram trucks are a bit grandiose."

Sounds like you need to Lemon Law your truck you hate so much.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wildcat63 wrote:

Wow, thanks for all the replies, my current truck is a 93 GMC K1500 with 233,000 miles. I replaced the transmission at 213,000 and it’s reliable but getting up there in years. I really wouldn’t trust it for a cross country trip. Most of its issues are age related, like I had to replace the headlight switch and the plastic the switch screws into the dash bezel disintegrated. It’s a great hauler for stuff to the dump and running around town but it’s time to start keeping my eye out for a replacement. Thanks for the responses.

I still maintain that, that era of GM trucks the GMT 400s was one of the best platforms for reliability and total cost of ownership.
But you’re right, every dog has its day.
One word of advice, if you’re looking for trucks in the 5+ year old range, consider venturing out of the rust belt or verifying how well a used vehicle was kept up in the winters.
If you find a vehicle from greener pastures (not from the salt belt) you can reasonably step down to an older vehicle with less propensity for issues or repairs from rust.
Bottom line nothing is free and the cost of a new or slightly used is partly due to inflation, of course, partly the covid market and something often overlooked, newer = more power and more technology. And a 440hp Powerstroke with 10 cameras and adaptive cruise is bound to cost more than a comparable truck with older tech and less power.
Good luck In the search.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back to the dependable part, we just traded up to a 2016 Ram from a 07. 75k miles and somehow found a decent deal, right place right time. I believe that new trucks next 100k miles will be more trouble free that the same range on the old truck (which also wasn’t bad). Most all the “issues” with the 07 are improved on the 4th gens. And it doesn’t hurt that this truck is deleted so the major concern there is 100% gone, sitting in the corner of the garage collecting dust. Lol

Flashman

Tucson, Aizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devo the dog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Incredible.

Yes, it is incredible that Dodge could have such a cult-like following. I guess to some owners, all that matters is that the dodge truck has a cummins engine - the rest of the truck is meaningless metal and plastic.

The other manufactures understand that there is more to a truck. It can ride smooth. It can have comfortable seats, and a nice interior. It can have AC that works. A decent transmission. A radio that doesn't shut off randomly. Even a front suspension that you don't need to weld so it stays aligned. LOL.

I'm glad I kept my 2005 Ford because I have something to drive when the ram is in the shop. It's never had a problem. Not one. Nothing. All I do is change fluids and the typical maintenance and wear items. The ram has had more problems in one year of ownership than any other car my wife and I have owned over the last 20 years, combined.

Wow - a Ford fan complaining about cult following. Just goes to show.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/21 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flashman wrote:

Devo the dog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Incredible.

Wow - a Ford fan complaining about cult following. Just goes to show.

I don't think the Ford guys are as cult like as the Cummins guys. The Cummins has a following, for a reason. The newer Ford diesels, a great choice too.

Other than maybe the need for a DEEPER pocket, I would wonder why DEVO did not purchase a 2019 SuperDuty? Maybe I missed the reason?

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How dependable are newer trucks with higher mileage?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.