Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Download speed varies
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Download speed varies

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/21 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Keep in touch, Gary!
I will, the router still has not been shipped because of another winter storm, I thought I would have it today to try but it is still sitting on the shipping dock.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/21 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gary, after reading all of the above, I'm betting that your speed fall-offs have nothing to do with any routing issues.

It's probably that the main Internet speed coming from your provider is falling off whenever too many folks around you using the same provider are online - just like the average 120 Mbps from my provider can drop down to 50-60 Mbps whenever too many of my neighbors are streaming from the same provider.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Gary, after reading all of the above, I'm betting that your speed fall-offs have nothing to do with any routing issues.

It's probably that the main Internet speed coming from your provider is falling off whenever too many folks around you using the same provider are online - just like the average 120 Mbps from my provider can drop down to 50-60 Mbps whenever too many of my neighbors are streaming from the same provider.

OP has DSL, sounds like you have Cable Internet..

Not the same at all.

DSL, absolutely no one "shares" the OPs line, it goes all the way back to the phone Co's central office. The central office then connects the OPs line to the Internet.

Now with Cable Internet, that IS a different beast, Cable company uses large long "loops" of cable, puts bunches of folks on each loop.. Cable Internet can suffer from over crowding on the loops as more and more folks get on which will indeed slow down the Internet access for all on that loop..

OP has verified via a direct hardwired connection that their DSL modem/router IS getting the speed that they are paying for and the Phone company was to provide.

The OPs issue is not the phone company's side, it is something wrong with their router/ Wifi access point which is built into the phone company provided DSL modem/router/WiFi access point..

Phone company is sending them a replacement modem/router.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/21 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

pnichols wrote:

OP has DSL, sounds like you have Cable Internet..

Not the same at all.

Now with Cable Internet, that IS a different beast, Cable company uses large long "loops" of cable, puts bunches of folks on each loop.. Cable Internet can suffer from over crowding on the loops as more and more folks get on which will indeed slow down the Internet access for all on that loop..

OP has verified via a direct hardwired connection that their DSL modem/router IS getting the speed that they are paying for and the Phone company was to provide.

The OPs issue is not the phone company's side, it is something wrong with their router/ Wifi access point which is built into the phone company provided DSL modem/router/WiFi access point..

Phone company is sending them a replacement modem/router.

"DSL, absolutely no one "shares" the OPs line, it goes all the way back to the phone Co's central office. The central office then connects the OPs line to the Internet."

So .... that central office's particular connection to the Internet is never overloaded due to too many DSL users (now working and/or schooling from home) being serviced by that particular central office??

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

So .... that central office's particular connection to the Internet is never overloaded due to too many DSL users (now working and/or schooling from home) being serviced by that particular central office??

Central office has a FAR bigger and more robust Internet "pipeline" than ANY cable company "loop" and that IS a fact that you can take to the bank.

Add in the fact that Phone companies do have fiber optic lines going in and out of the central offices are also in the mix..

Granted, older copper DSL is withing on the vine but in many places like in the case of the OP, it is what they have and most likely the fastest and most affordable Internet they can get in their area..

Cable Cos are notorious on only putting in service loops where they CAN get as many people as possible on that loop to maximize their profits per mile of wire..

Not every cable company out there has or offers fiber optic loops nor do they service the entire country..

Something else to consider, Cable Cos Internet WILL go down when the power lines servicing their loop amplifiers mounted on the poles lose power..

Ran into that only a few days ago when our power co had an outage that outlasted the backup batteries in those amplifiers.. I on the other hand have not only UPS units on my stuff, I also have a whole house gen.. DW was able to continue to work for her employer up to the point the cable co backup batteries failed after 2 hrs..

Phone company however has a huge battery backup system at each central switching station plus backup gens.. They actually are under obligation to keep the phone system alive 24/7/365..

I miss the phone DSL because of that..

If it wasn't for the need to get more speed than 6 Mbps for DW and DW work and school that was in my area I would have stayed on DSL..

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let us wait to see what happens after Gary gets the new modem/router from his provider, Frontier Telephone. Then we will know!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/21 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Let us wait to see what happens after Gary gets the new modem/router from his provider, Frontier Telephone. Then we will know!
I thought the same also but now not sure. I got the new router yesterday and noticed it was the same model as the old one so I called Frontier and the tech told me it was updated inside with new drivers and software. OK I figured as long as he was on the phone I would use him to help me with the setup because I have limited experience with computers and electronics in general. Set up new router and it did not work so he determined it was DOA. So the Tech worked on his end reconfiguring something then had me reset the old router with the reset button on the back. Previously I just reset by unplugging power from socket. I got 16mbs with the ethernet cable and 14mbps from the wifi on my laptop. Went in bed room and got 8-9 Mbps, so I thought every thing was fine. When I checked latter in the day I only got 2-4 Mbps. This morning only get 1.6 in bed room and 3-4 next to router. Checked with Iphone and get 13 near router and 10 to 11 in bedroom. Speed test varies greatly from min to min. I can't figure out why laptop worked yesterday morning when on the phone with tech but now can't get over 4 mbps. Could it be a failing WIFI card inside? I would not think they would fail gradually or work intermittently?

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check on device manager for the network controller.
Left bottom corner, right click on symbol, select device manager from drop down menu. Should be able to determine make and model of network adapter. I had to go to my vendors website to get latest driver.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/21 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Check on device manager for the network controller.
Left bottom corner, right click on symbol, select device manager from drop down menu. Should be able to determine make and model of network adapter. I had to go to my vendors website to get latest driver.
Net work adapter tells me I have the latest driver installed, it says Broadcom BCM431142802.11 bgn wifi M-2 Adapter.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is the message I kept getting. Then by searching on web found updated.
Sent you a text!
Found a late driver Broadcom

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Download speed varies
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.