Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Prostate cancer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Prostate cancer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/21 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey guys, I know this is probably the wrong place to post this but since this is where I usually go and post when I do, here it is.
I just wanted to encourage you guys to have your PSA score checked yearly. I had a yearly physical in August of 2020 and my PSA score came back high. Had it rechecked a month later and it was even higher. So to make a long story short I had my prostate removed Jan. 26th. Fortunately the Dr. said it looked like since we caught it early that it was confined to the prostate and they got it all.
Five days since surgery and I am feeling well just sore. Only stayed 1 night in the hospital fortunately and have a great wife to take care of me at home.
So guys if you haven't been checked lately, get er done!!!! I have alot more camping to do yet!!!Don't want to be slowed down by the big C.

2003 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,7.3L diesel, 214,000 miles
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad they caught it early and the surgery went well. By the time this virus is tamped down you should have recovered enough to get out and camp.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/21 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happy you are recovering. Best wishes.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/21 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good for you, I too get a PSA yearly . Along with other things . I am glad to hear things went well for you . Happy camping .

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blood work done every 6 months or sooner. And PSA yearly. Don’t want any unknown conditions occurring without being aware of it and being able to address it early. Do everything I can to keep on trucking. And see the grandkids grow up. And maybe some greats some day.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to hear.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to hear, OP. My grandfather passed in 1995 because of prostate cancer that was missed and spread into his back and bones.

My father had prostate cancer in 2004, had his prostate removed and has been cancer free since. If it is caught in time, it is definitely treatable.

I am lucky that my wife works in healthcare and I have my PSA checked every year; so far so good.

I wish you the very best in your recovery.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 03:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Oncologist told me that blood work only picks up blood cancers. I've always had blood work included in my annual physicals and it never picked up my cancer.
I never miss a yearly prostate. It's been enlarged for many years but PSA numbers steady and very low.
I'm glad that the OP is doing well, keep it up.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you found it early, but some cautions. At age 60 I had surgery in 2001 at Walter Reed and followup PSA's every 2 months after. They thought they got mine too. By just under a year later my PSA had doubled twice. I went to a good radiation oncologist and ended up with a series of major radiation treatments that went daily for well over a month. Up until 3 months ago I'd been getting PSA's every 6 months. In ALL cases since my radiation, my numbers were less than .01 or undetectable. My urologist and I agreed to go to annual PSA's 3 months ago. My sole recommendation is to be VERY aggressive in your treatment. I've lost 2 very good friends who were diagnosed close to when I was and were not aggressive in their treatment. This stuff is nasty but it can be beat. Good luck.

Yeah, general consensus is that I got it from Agent Orange.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My PSA numbers are rapidly increasing. I see my doc again at the end of March. Started simpson's oil before I see the doc.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Prostate cancer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.