Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Ac engine compressor
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Ac engine compressor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
firedog

Rockford, Illinois,US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/21 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ac engine compressor went out, will this cause debris in the hoses and the dryer? Has anyone had this problem and is it a big ticket item to fix? Thanks for any info

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will likely NOT damage anything else. Repairs can cost $500 with refrigerant. Make sure they document what they recovered before they start the disassembly.

ernie1

Sacramento,California,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/21 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do you mean by the compressor going out? Did it lose all it's charge and quit working or did fail internally and had parts scattered? If compressor came apart internally it's best to flush the system before installing any new components.

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the compressor is shot, I'd be really surprised if you could get it replaced for $500. That would be one heck of a deal.

When I had to change the A/C compressor on our Workhorse rig several years back, I think the compressor by itself was a bit over $200 from a local auto parts store. I think the Workhorse dealer wanted over $700 for it!!!!

Do you know that the compressor is bad, or could it be just the clutch? If it's just the clutch, that's can be quite a bit cheaper because the system doesn't have to be opened.

We could probably give better advice if you can tell us more of the symptoms you observed. How do you know it's the compressor? If the refrigerant leaks down below a certain level, the compressor won't engage to protect itself. So a leak can mask itself as a bad compressor.

Good Luck,

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (24-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (20), 2 boys (21 & 18).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 04:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

firedog wrote:

Ac engine compressor went out, will this cause debris in the hoses and the dryer? Has anyone had this problem and is it a big ticket item to fix? Thanks for any info

Depends on the failure mode.. When mine sized it did just that We Replaced the compressor but the condenser is also clogged.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

allbrandauto

maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

compresers fail three different ways can be a electrical failure pulley bearing and clutch failure and internal failure. if it is internal failure than filter dryer will have to be replaced and system flushed out

firedog

Rockford, Illinois,US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clarification of compressor issue: I had the compressor and belt replaced, the pulley seized up causing the belt to break. Hoses are corroded and need to be replaced. Question is has anyone had this issue and did you replace the hoses?Also Is having the hoses replaced a high ticket item? Thanks to everyone who have responded

Krusty

Calgary, Alberta,Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it was only the pulley bearing that seized up, there should be no contamination of the system. If it was the actual compressor that seized up, there is likely contamination that will
need to be flushed out

Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

firedog

Rockford, Illinois,US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m sorry, I gave too much information about the compressor issue. What I need to know, if anyone had to replace their engine ac hoses and how expensive will it be? Thanks everyone for taking the time to help out

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

firedog wrote:

I’m sorry, I gave too much information about the compressor issue. What I need to know, if anyone had to replace their engine ac hoses and how expensive will it be? Thanks everyone for taking the time to help out

This is very dependent on the length of the hose(s) and if there are any pieces of bent metal tubing included with the hose.

My SWAG (sophisticated wild a$$ guess) is that each hose should cost between $100-$200. There are a few shops that custom make hoses. In some cases (especially when the application is not very high volume, like a motorhome chassis), these cost LESS than an OEM replacement.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Ac engine compressor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.