cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet camera's/switches

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Not so much an RV question but certainly could apply, with the advent of all things using a Wi-Fi network( camera's particularily)....I wonder at times how long before the network they work on, generally 2.4 ghz, is obsolete. Most cameras/switches tell you up front that they only work on the older frequency range....ones that I've seen anyways. With 5g and 6g not so far off, will it simply be a software upgrade or will all this we are buying now be worthless?

I'm not panicked but more curious so if anyone has input .....I'm all ears.???? or maybe I'm totally off base, show me the light!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)
12 REPLIES 12

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I have several of those WyzeCams as well. They are a great value!

Frk911, I also have the same SSID/PW using Ubiquti Access Points. It is great to have the devices float between 2.4 and 5GHz.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Wifi 2.4GHz is not going away any tine soon. Routers and Access points are still being released with support for that range. 2.4GHz usually has better range than 5GHz in most environments. I predict 2.4GHz will be supported for 10+ years.

Support of 5GHz will require some electronics update, not just SW.

i have our 2.4 and 5ghz wifi set to the same ssid and password. the xfinity router has intelligence to choose the better path at any given time for our various devices.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/benefits-same-wifi-network-password-name-xfi-gateway

and i was going thru a box of old hardware yesterday and found my old Netgear 8-port dual band router. we used that before we switched to xfinity. wonder if it's worth anything?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Ok then, I feel much better about getting a couple more of those 19.99 Wyze cameras.....not really, I have enough already. Thank you everyone!!!!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Wifi 2.4GHz is not going away any tine soon. Routers and Access points are still being released with support for that range. 2.4GHz usually has better range than 5GHz in most environments. I predict 2.4GHz will be supported for 10+ years.

Support of 5GHz will require some electronics update, not just SW.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
5G is not near time, it has VERY short range and will not move out of cities for the foreseeable future. And what does 5G have to do with WIFI? Nothing that I know about

You have a basic error 5G in your post translates, though not necessarly accuratly to Fifth Generation

5G in the original poster's post translates to 5 GigaHertz A radio frequency band.. they have nothing to do with each other.

That said. your comments are likely accurate for Cell Phone Service.

To the original poster.
It will be a long time hefore 2.5 gig routers all go away. For one thing I own two of them I'm not using.. check that 3 of them. Though this may change if something else does not. You can still find them in both "Retail" and "Thrift' stores and most routers sold are dual band. In fact I only know of one (A built in to vehicle wi-fi) that is 5G only.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Just as an aside, my security cameras at my house all require 2.4Ghz and if I have everything on the 2.4Ghz band things start to act up so I keep my laptops, TV connection, Desktop and Cell phone wifi connected to the 5Ghz band. It makes for a trouble free system.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Very good point.....as I said, it's more a curiosity at this time, not a real concern but Thanks just the same!
96 Vogue Prima Vista

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Ok...I see where I screwed up but typical home routers are dual frequencies? 5ghz and 2.4ghz? I see now some Wi-Fi cameras are dual band also but many only operate on the 2.4 band so I guess the question said a different way, will the 2.4ghz band ever( near future) become obsolete?
I'm guessing that if all routers were to only be 5ghz then all those devices sold today would become useless unless the change could be worked around on a software basis.

I understand my error so thank you for setting g me straight????

well, nothing lasts forever so could WiFi change to something beyond 802.11n, drop 2.4ghz or move to a whole new set of frequencies? why not? i was going thru a box of old hardware today and found two old 10/100 ethernet switches. old but still serviceable techology compared to the bi-directional10/100/1000 (gigabit) switches commonly used today. your 2.4ghz cams may one day go to the same technology heaven that our VCRs, 8-track and cassette tape players and telephone answering machines.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Ok...I see where I screwed up but typical home routers are dual frequencies? 5ghz and 2.4ghz? I see now some Wi-Fi cameras are dual band also but many only operate on the 2.4 band so I guess the question said a different way, will the 2.4ghz band ever( near future) become obsolete?
I'm guessing that if all routers were to only be 5ghz then all those devices sold today would become useless unless the change could be worked around on a software basis.

I understand my error so thank you for setting g me straight????
96 Vogue Prima Vista

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i think you are confusing WiFi protocol 802.11n (currently using 2.4ghz and/or 5ghz RF frequencies) and cellular comms. the 'g' in 4g, 5g means 'generation'. IIRC 4g operates on several different frequency bands....600mhz, 800mhz, 1.8ghz and 1.9ghz (give or take). i think 5g is up around 30ghz. the only thing WiFi and cellular have in common is that they are both wireless technologies. what happens in one service has no impact in the other.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
5G is not near time, it has VERY short range and will not move out of cities for the foreseeable future. And what does 5G have to do with WIFI? Nothing that I know about

I expect from the context the OP is referring to 5Ghz WiFi (also known as WiFi 5) rather than 5G cell service.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper