Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Jayco or Grand Design
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Jayco or Grand Design

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Landnav9012

Phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purchasing first travel trailer. Can’t decide between the 2021 Jayco 224bh or the Grand Design 2400bh. Would appreciate any input as to the better constructed, longer lasting brand.

Thanks
Chris

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years ago I would have pointed you to Grand Design, now that it is no longer privately owned, just flip a coin.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being out west consider usage If you plan on boondocking/dry camping, The Grand design has considerably larger tanks.
Brand FW GW BW
Jayco 42 39 39
G Des 52 82 45

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco is owned by Thor. Grand Design is owned by Winnebago. We have a Grand Design Reflection 5th Wheel so I can't speak about Jayco other than to say we narrowed things down to the same two brands When we bought our Grand Design. For us, what tipped the scale was which dealership was selling what and their reputation overall (Both Sales and Service), and which was going to give us the best deal. In our area it was Camping World that sold Jayco's and a smaller dealership, Meyers RV that sold Grand Designs that have 7 stores within a few hours of where we live. We chose to buy the Grand Design because we got the best deal on it. The other things were pretty much a wash.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flip of a coin is pretty accurate since they are pushing these rigs down the assembly line and out the door as fast as humanly possible. Both Jayco and Grand Design have good customer service as most have reported, purchasing from a dealer with an above average service record will aid in getting warranty issues dealt with correctly and (hopefully) in a timely manner.

It pays dividends to be handy with tools before and after the warranty expires, instead of hauling our TT into the dealer and letting our rig sit for some unknown time, they ordered the warrantied parts and I installed them myself. Too many reports of RVs just sitting for weeks, many incidents of batteries being totally dead upon pickup, truly degrading lifespan of battery.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another " flip a coin " here.
What floorplan do you favor?

As one poster mentioned, tank capacity actually did play a role when we bought especially fresh water tank as we go to a lot of electric only places and always tow with full FWT....60 gal.

Hope you enjoy the new trailer.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mtn in the GREAT SW Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would check reviews on the dealers and go with the one with the best reviews.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a pre-Thor Jayco, my in-laws have a 1st year Thor Jayco, both travel trailers. Little things are different from Thor's purchase, and not for the better. My friend has a Grand Design Reflection 5th wheel. I like the Grand Design, it seems to be higher quality in terms of windows, insulation, etc. Its hard to directly compare a 5th wheel to a travel trailer, but I'm impressed with the Grand Design. It was noticeably more expensive than a Jayco though...

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aside from perusing their webpage, I'm not up on Jayco anymore. Grand Design has the cleverer designers, and their layouts and features have been copied by nearly everyone.

As clever as I believe GD to be, I'm not as impressed with their construction. They are manufactured with OSB, which is probably not a big deal unless you spring a leak. Fit and finish has been less than stellar when I've window shopped them over the last few years. Surprisingly this last year hasn't been as bad. The larger tanks are important to us.

Between those two, I would likely select GD, but as noted the dealer is an important part of the equation.

JMHO of course.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

brianosaur

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

A few years ago I would have pointed you to Grand Design, now that it is no longer privately owned, just flip a coin.

Sheeze, I had always heard GD was top notch. Not anymore?

So they sold out and the corporate hacks came in and trampled over quality control for speed, like everyone else? What a shame.

OP: As always mentioned in this forum -

Buy a good toolbox and stock it well. Plan on doing many small fixes along the way. If your not a handy person, learn to be or it will cost you time and money at a repair shop, even for stupid little things.

Most all new RVs will need a bit of minor tweaking. Set the bar a little low and you shouldn't be disappointed. If you're OCD you're going to get upset because it wont be like buying a brand new car.

If you somehow manage to hit the RV lottery you will either get one that will be spectacular and never need a thing done, or one that will be a never ending nightmare of repairs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Jayco or Grand Design
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.