Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Price increase at our KOA
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Price increase at our KOA

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every year at the end of our season we make our reservations for the following year. In that reservation is a listed price. Well, this off season the KOA was sold to new owners and I was notified that the price would go up 25%. Does that seem reasonable that the new owner can not honor a standing reservation? And to add insult to injury, they want to move us to a less desirable site.

* This post was edited 02/01/21 03:19pm by Super_Dave *

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

Every year at the end of our season we make our reservations for the following year. In that reservation is a listed price. Well, this off season the KOA was sold to new owners and I was notified that the price would go up 25%. Does that seem reasonable that the new owner can not honor a standing reservation? And to add insult to injury, they want to move us to a less desirable site.

It seems like a bad business practice, but the KOA terms of use probably allow it. Most likely your only recourse would be to cancel your reservation for no fee. Looks like the actual policy may depend on the campground, I couldn't find anything in the general KOA terms, but for an individual campground, I found this, which implies that they can change the reserved rate. So you'll probably have to look up the terms for your campground.

Quote:

2021 Reservation Terms:All Rates are subject to change. Site numbers are not given out in advance unless it is locked with KOA Select my site. We reserve the right to move any reservation to make room for groups/emergency situations.

If you already contacted the local campground and they haven't resolved this to your satisfaction, try KOA corporate:

Customer Service: 1-888-562-0000
Email: [email protected]

If it's a short trip, Corporate may just comp you the difference in the interest of customer service, but if you're there all summer, it may be harder to get an adjustment.

* This post was edited 02/01/21 12:26pm by rlw999 *

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, not by any stretch of the imagination, nor anything resembling an expert on consumer law as it relates to campground reservations.

What does your reservation contract state? Does it include any sort of an explicit price guarantee, or language suggesting the price may change, or neither? Assuming it doesn't specifically guarantee the price and/or the specific site, I think legally they're very well within their rights to change such specifics with notice. I'm not suggesting it's a nice thing to do, nor necessarily a good business practice.

Assuming they're giving you the option to cancel the reservation with a refund of any pre-payment, and also that there's no wording in the contract that guarantees the fees and site, then I don't think they're behaving unreasonably--just perhaps inadvisably.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a shame that they aren't honoring the reservation price. I agree that calling corporate is the way to go.

If corporate can't help you get relief with the franchisee, maybe they can comp you a yearly membership. If you travel a lot and stay at very many KOAs, that membership can be a big help.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does the contract state? I'm betting they have some clause that allows them to move you or adjust prices.

If not, technically, you may have them contractually but are you really going to sue them if they refuse to honor the contract?

I might give them a call and explain the situation highlighting that you are a customer of X years and is there anything they can do to make an exception.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just another reason I will never stay at any KOA {again - did once}. They are consistently the highest priced parks in any area, usually located on a very busy {noisy} highway and often adjacent a major rail line. Yes, they have nice amenities for kids but other than that... {Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?}

I'm not sure how they stay in business and with practices such as the OP's they probably won't.

[emoticon]

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KOA in general went from I'd guess $35/night to $55-60. They also reduced the benefits from their loyalty program, so much that a KOA operator told me not to waste my money renewing it. And now another 25%, is that $75 a night now? We stopped using KOA since they certainly do not want our business.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

I'm not sure how they stay in business

I often stay at KOA's while traveling long distance since they are often close to highways and all have online booking availability. It's worth the $20 or so premium to not have to call around to find rates and availability. Unless it's a holiday weekend, I usually wait until we're on the road to find a place to stay for the night so being able to look up available parks online is a big plus.

But for my destination, then I'm more willing to call around ahead of time to find a good park.

There are certainly lots of other parks that have online booking, but many of them claim to have online booking but they really have a web form that sends an email to the park and you have no idea whether or not they even have availability.

* This post was edited 02/01/21 02:09pm by rlw999 *

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve had this happen several times at KOA’s and other campgrounds where the price at reservation is different when you show up if the reservation was made in a previous year.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a reason that KOA means "Keep On Adding".
We have never stayed at a KOA and never will.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Price increase at our KOA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.