Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Roadside Breakdown
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Roadside Breakdown

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the reason I bought new truck when going on retirement and planning transcontinental vacations was the warranty the manufacturer gives you.
All those RV towing insurances have good or worse reviews as that comes to actual person doing the service.
I never had to do it with TC, but in construction business I had my truck broken with tall load.
Local Tow Truck driver knew his area and after putting my truck on rollback - drove the route, where 15' height was not an issue.
That was in Reno, NV where they had rollback with payload above 15,000lb.
I know such big rollbacks are not common.

thedavidzoo

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought our 2014 Ram used in 2016 with 28,000mi. Normally we wouldn't buy an extra warranty, but since we were heading to AK and remote Canada we purchased the MOPAR 5-yr additional warranty. Glad we did because our water pump blew out on Sunday evening in Michigan, thankfully at the end of our 13,000mi trip.
This is what they sent even after specifying we were 14,000lbs and tall. Tow truck driver must have known the overpass heights because we cringed in his cab, waiting for scraping sounds every time we passed under one on the way to the small local Ram dealer. Spent the night, repaired in the morning.
[image]

2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/21 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Both times when I lost the transmission on the Suburban..."

Twice on the same vehicle? That's terrible.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

sonuvabug

Mid-West Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a brake caliper seize on our 26' E-350 based Class C a few years back. They loaded it up on a flatbed and took it to the repair shop. I thought for sure it was going to arrive missing part of the roof but all was good.

2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

If the garage has to put to truck on a lift can the TC stay on?

Les Schwabs has had my Class C and my truck camper up on there hoist inside.

Mote

Hoosier State

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we went to Yellowstone in 2015 in the old '96 dodge we had Good Sam coverage since the truck was so old. On the way back our transmission (surprise) started to go out. A hotel in Peoria let us park in the their lot for the night. Still 300 miles from home we called Good Sam's to try to get a tow to any local shop. I was on the phone for 30 minutes trying to explain to the nice young man what a truck camper was. He said they'd send a tow truck to our location in the morning. No one showed up so we said our prayers and drove backroads all the way home. We made it and got to see some nice little towns that would have otherwise been bypassed.

2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a breakdown - blown oil line once in Texas. When the tow truck arrived, he took one look, winched it up on the flatbed - TC intact - then drove it to his shop. He got off the highway at every overpass, drove straight across and back down the other side highway entrance. No sweat for the overpass height or clearance.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a tow recently with Good Sam. TC rig in sig. The fuel pump went in the truck. Tow truck came and lifted the front, disconnected the drive, off to the garage close to our stick house (so we could walk home), one hour away. (not the nearest garage to where it happened)

So I learned about the dollar limit on towing with Good Sam and paid the extra. Fair enough.

Big lesson when we got to the garage was they couldn't get to it till next day so parked it overnight in their driveway. When the tow truck got unhooked, on the sloping garage driveway, there was nothing to stop truck with the camper on it from rolling down the driveway! (still disconnected drive--so no Park holding with the transmission, some doubt whether the parking brake even worked.)

Saved by the tow truck driver! He saw what might happen and chocked the back tires. The garage guys had to reconnect the drive next day to get it into a bay to work on the fuel pump. Was closing time when we got there, tow truck driver did not reconnect it, not clear who was supposed to I guess, everyone wanted to get home. [emoticon]

The tow truck guy remembered to take the drive bolts out of his pocket and leave them in the truck for the garage guys to use--that would have been an episode if he had forgotten that.

On hoisting--that same garage services our Class C. It goes up on their hoist in the summer, but they had a problem when it is cold in the winter getting the hoist to go up as high as usual. Don't know if that is just them.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just so you don't waste time specify a medium duty wrecker. That will be able to tow you no questions asked.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

Just so you don't waste time specify a medium duty wrecker. That will be able to tow you no questions asked.

That depends on the camper length.
My 12' campers had rear bumper 8 ft behind rear axle and about 8" above pavement.
Lifting front wheels 6" would make rear bumper scratching on road holes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Roadside Breakdown
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.