cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Light ??

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we have a 2007 Winn Voyage, 8.1L gas engine on Workhorse chassis. On a recent trip while driving the Battery light came on the dash with alarm tone for about 5 seconds and then went off. It did it again a few days later, 5 seconds on then off. We replaced the alternator about 1 year ago so it is still relatively new. Both battery voltage 12.5 and alternator voltage 14.5 seem fine. I checked alternator and battery connections, all are tight, no corrosion.

Any suggestions what to check further? If it is trying to tell me something so far I don't know what it is.... The unknown alarm is unsettling.

Thanks
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
6 REPLIES 6

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
TC&Z...Any update yet?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The battery light will come on for both NO charge from the Alternator and EXCESS charge(hi voltage) to the chassis 12 volt system. When this happens, do you have the Genset on also? When it happens try turning the headlights ON(if they are off) and the Dash AC ON if it is off and see if the light goes out. This puts a higher load on the system and if too high voltage, it will drop the current about 1/2 to 1 volt. If on Genset, the Inverter/Charger if you have one may be in BULK charge which will send a higher voltage to the chassis system until the Inverter/Charger goes out of bulk charge. Did you replace the Alternator for the same problem? Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok the battery light is a misnomer. it's the alternator light for what it means is the alternator has stopped charging.

Now a question.. What was the wetter like. (That's a pun on weather) Dry or well. Wetter? I have not had this happen on my Workhorse.

But several cars. Including the one I drive know will stop charging and turn on the light if I hit a puddle of rain or melted snow and soak the alternator.. Soon as it dries out .. Light out voltage up.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd check the tightness of the serpentine belt.

Why was the alternator replaced and was it replaced with an aftermarket alternator?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
So it the light on at start up or 20 minutes into a drive down the highway at 60 or around town, etc.?

Any work done lately? Any accessory used more often lately? Have you observed voltage during the episode?

Are you sure your battery isolator is functioning correctly? A 2 volt spread seems large.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Battery voltage at 12.5 is a little low. Put a slow charger 2 amp for a day or so and see how they hold up after they are fully charge. Check them the next day after taking off the charger. Do you have a way to check each cell.

https://modernsurvivalblog.com/alternative-energy/battery-state-of-charge-chart/