cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small Grills

RAllison
Explorer
Explorer
There are just my wife and I camping and I am presently using a small Weber grill, which works really good, but there are some things you can't cook on it such as eggs,home fries ect. Just wondering what other people are using? I don't want anything big,would rather use the small green propane tanks. Thanks Rich
31 REPLIES 31

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Weber Q1000. Being a Weber it is of high quality. I think it is a great gas grill as far as gas grills go. I also made a metal plate griddle of 3/16" plate for breakfast cookig. For good meat grilling I think the Vector Smoke Hollow. It is very adjustable, has wide window of temperature, and you can get real smoke from real wood. I've made as good a ribs on it as my regular Weber Kettle.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rich if the Weber works really well as you said just keep it and adapt it. I have a Weber and it works just fine for the things you mention. I use foil pans for quick cleanup. They're cheap and they take up a lot less space in your RV than another appliance.

I learned the foil pan method from an old scoutmaster back in the 70s. The secrets are to get a heavy duty foil sheet cake pan or 9x13 lasagne pan. Then be aware of the sequence of how you cook your items. Cook the bacon or sausage first. Then cook your eggs. I've also cooked frozen waffles on the grill itself. It's much cheaper than buying another appliance and it creates a quick clean up. When I see those foil pans on sale I stock up and keep them stowed in the mh.

garmp wrote:
I guess it's different strokes for different folks, but we love our Cobb Grill.

The Cobbs are great. You make a good point too that everyone has their favorite appliance. We like our Weber for the road. We do a lot of cold weather camping. When I'm not using the DO I like to use the old foil pan method on the Weber for a number of dishes if we aren't cooking inside the motorhome.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

I won't say its impossible for a 22" Blackstone to struggle in the cold.
But I have been using my 22 in the cold all winter long on my deck without issue. I do have a hood.
I hear ya. From my limited experience so far its the wind that can hinder the blackstone a bit. Easily fixed by a wind shield of any kind. It is so fun to cook on that big heavy heat soaked piece of metal.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess it's different strokes for different folks, but we love our Cobb Grill. Need to add the grill mats and the grill grates.
We can grill, smoke, bake, sear or what ever we desire. It does have a learning curve, but not steep for any kind of outdoor cooker. Our first cook was a whole broasted chicken with potatoes & onions in the moat. Either we were very lucky or not, but it turned out great. Not to mentioned the ease of cooking.
Clean up is not the easiest, but I'm pretty picky about that.
Long story short: We love our Cobb Grill. And it is very compact for storage.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
For the Blackstone 17 and 22 inch units, there are videos of people going to the
Dollar Tree Stores and buying their $1.00 grill scraper/foodshovel/whatchamacallums. Buy enough to make a nice windbread, they fit very well.

I can't think of the right word, but if you chop up some vegetables you can use these things to scoop up what you just did. They look like stainless steel doohickeys.

Hope that made some sense.

EDIT: These things Dohickeys $1 each at Dollar Tree.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
wopachop wrote:
A foil lined grill and a griddle are completely different cooking surfaces. If you end up with the 17" use the aluminum foil to create a wind shield along the sides.

Even the 22" blackstone can struggle in cold wind. I have not done this yet, but have watched my friends make wind shields out camping and it makes a big difference.

Watch a couple videos on seasoning the griddle. I highly recommend using a propane torch to help the process along the edges and corners.

I won't say its impossible for a 22" Blackstone to struggle in the cold.
But I have been using my 22 in the cold all winter long on my deck without issue. I do have a hood.
While I have yet to use it , I also have a wind screen that I believe could be very useful.
Nevertheless I used a 17" Blackstone for 2 years and it struggled in the cold, upgraded to a 22 and I have yet to suffer cold /Luke warm griddle syndrome
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
A foil lined grill and a griddle are completely different cooking surfaces. If you end up with the 17" use the aluminum foil to create a wind shield along the sides.

Even the 22" blackstone can struggle in cold wind. I have not done this yet, but have watched my friends make wind shields out camping and it makes a big difference.

Watch a couple videos on seasoning the griddle. I highly recommend using a propane torch to help the process along the edges and corners.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
Just put a piece of tinfoil on the Weber grate. We do that all the time, and have had our Q200 for years.

It does. That and those foil pans you can get for less than a dollar. Plus no clean up, just toss it in the trash.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just put a piece of tinfoil on the Weber grate. We do that all the time, and have had our Q200 for years.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
RAllison wrote:
Thanks for the great info. I am going to get the 17" Blackstone and keep my Weber for steaks, chops and burgers. Rich

Don't do it! Get the 22" Blackstone model. 2 burners makes an incredible difference. If you camp in cool weather especially cool weather with a breeze the 17" single burner struggles to get hot and maintain heat.
If you only camp in warm weather the 17" is OK. But if you find yourself in cool temps. you will want the 22' dual burner
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used a Q200 for years. Copper no stick mat works great on it for griddle.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
I love my Blackstone 28" I got for the S&B so much I got the 17" for the MH. I am happy with it and it fits in the storage just fine where the 22" might be a pretty tight fit. Jim.

RAllison
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great info. I am going to get the 17" Blackstone and keep my Weber for steaks, chops and burgers. Rich

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
OkieGene wrote:

Plus, with the 22 inch, the grill surface gets up to temp pretty much 99.5% all over the grill, giving you more consistent heat and thus cooking.
My 22 has huge swings in temp. In fact it took a map gas torch to properly season it. The corners just never get hot even with both burners cranked full blast for 30 mins.