Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Dump Station Etiquette???
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Dump Station Etiquette???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/21 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obgraham wrote:

Most folks in line don't natter, so long as you keep moving ahead with the job. Standing around looking at your navel will irritate the next guy.

Yep, that is my trigger. Just be ready to do the deed when it's your turn. I could care less if you spend some extra minutes on a quick rinse, just keep moving and not be some slow sloth with a 10 minute grandpa hose coupling routine combined with a repacking as if shipping delicate china to the moon!

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 12:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you take too long and hold up the line just hope no one behind you is a follower of cancel culture. You could be publicly shamed on social media or worse yet, maybe even shunned!

CampinHappy

Odessa, Texas (west Texas)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/21 02:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've dumped some spare ice from the cooler down the crapper and then drove over to the dump. Not sure if it worked, but it didn't hurt either.

CampinHappy
West Texas Region
2021 Premier 29RK, 2017 F-150 pulling it fine
Former covered wagons include:

2007 K-Z Spree 240 BH with triple bunks for my 3 amigos
Formerly a 99 Coleman Niagara PUP
wife version 1.0 (so far ">) 4 boys who have flown the coop ">

jamesu

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/21 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wear rubber gloves or disable gloves. 1. Hook up your hose, 2. Dump (Black 1st, Gray last) 3. Rinse inside of your sewer hose + any escaped poo down drain with the provided hose. 4. Put your stuff away. 5. Get out of there...particularly if others are waiting.

Trust me, they’ll be watching you.. A good “dump job” takes me a good 10 or so minutes when I am working efficiently. Practice makes perfect.

2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do what you need to do to keep your tanks clean. I rinse mine every time and it doesnt matter the line because most likely you will be behind the guys who is also rinsing there tanks. if there is a big line up I dont even stop to dump, but Ill leave a couple hours before check out. I'll look for free or cheep dunps along my route, because everyone in a campground seams to leave at the last minuit then gets mad when the guy at the dumpstation takes the time to make sure his tanks are clean.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See the GEO method here:

https://kleentank.com/the-geo-method/

I get my Calgon water softener at Walmart. Order on line and pick it up the next day, and its very inexpensive.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

avoid the dump stations after mid morning on holiday weekends. They line will be long and full of rookies that will take forever. I always try to get out of there early on those weekends. Those lines are full of people that don't regularly camp. either they haven't established an efficient routine or they just don't care. I think labor day is the big one. For alot of people they winterize, dump/flush the tanks and take it straight to storage for the winter. For them its now or never. It just seems like those guys wait until the lines good an long to get going. No hustle in their step lol.

I think the best way is when there's a line is to do what you need to do with purpose. while your waiting in line locate your stinky slinky, have your gloves at the ready an necessary compartments open.

When i pack up at the campsite i try to think ahead. think of the next things i need and pack those last. My gloves and tupperware with my elbow extension go right at the front of the storage compartment. Hand sanitizer and/or wipes on the center console of the truck. Pull the black, pull the gray, rinse the hose and hit the road.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there is someone in line behind you dump and move on. If you want to super maintain your black water tank - fine - but do it on your own time.

Kevin

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksg5000 wrote:

If there is someone in line behind you dump and move on. If you want to super maintain your black water tank - fine - but do it on your own time.

Thats the meat and potatos of it. You'll do just fine!

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, dump-rinse-go if a line behind you. If you are alone, YES thoroughly rinse the tanks.

Yes, you don't have to rinse the tanks every time.... EXCEPT if it is mid summer and you camper will be sitting for weeks / months until the next trip. I am able to rinse my tanks on my property, so if we aren't going out again for a couple or more weeks I thoroughly rinse and sanitize the black tank. In mid-August, that black tank, even though quickly "rinsed" at a dump station, can very much stink up the camper.

If you need to really rinse out and sanitize the tanks, in Connecticut a lot of the state parks that have dump stations (not many do, you need to check in advance) will allow you to dump and rinse to your heart's content for the price of one overnight campsite. Yea, it is expensive, but if you need to do it.... I have had to do that a couple times for various reasons - the nice thing about that is if you can go to the dump station in the middle of the week when it is empty you can take all the time you want.

A lot of private campgrounds will allow you to dump and rinse, usually for 1/2 the price of a campsite - but can vary greatly so call ahead and check.

We usually wait to dump when leaving on a Sunday afternoon until the last minute. We've found that most people have breakfast, packup, and go to the dump station - everyone seems to arrive at the same time. Yes, you can go first thing in the morning, but I like to have a leisurely breakfast. If you wait until the last minute usually the dump line is small or empty, not always, but usually.

Also, when dumping when there is a long line, don't start dumping and then go sit in your truck or camper. I usually hang out by the tank, checking constantly for when it is done, so I can rinse the line quickly and get going. Think about when or if you are waiting in line to dump, and the person dumping is nowhere to be seen for awhile. Just a small thing, but if people behind you see you there doing "something", it can be a little less annoying to wait.

If you really need to take the time to rinse (long distance camping trip, camper going into storage, etc) tell the person waiting behind you. Grumpy people can be just grumpy, but at least you let them know it will be a little extra time - and if they see you "working" (as I say above) instead of relaxing in your camper it may make them a bit more understanding.

These are tips and ideas coming from me. You will figure out your own routine, and experience your own adventures at the dump station.

Then you also can come back here and tell dump station stories!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Dump Station Etiquette???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.