Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Home dryer help needed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Home dryer help needed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There should be an opening in the bottom for around a 3/4 inch fresh air intake for the dryer. Same is required to install fireplace in mobile homes. For a gas unit only!
Don't confuse this with the 4 inch exhaust vent.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ernie1

Sacramento,California,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/21 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most commercial kitchens like restaurants have a roof mounted water cooler that is sized to push out a certain amount of cooled air and it usually exits close to the hood to replace the air that is drawn up into it and expelled outside. This is called "make up air" and it helps also to cool the staff cooking and and sweating over the hot stoves. You can tell when kitchen staff forget to turn on the water cooler because the entrance door to the restaurant is sucked partially open by the hood fans.

Flapper

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/21 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. The dryer is expelling air outside whether gas or electric. If in a smaller space, it can lower the pressure in the area (a bit of a vacuum) and cause air to come in from other places - like your furnace, stove, hot water heater, etc. exhaust vents That runs the risk of carbon monoxide build up in the home, from those other appliances. Problem becomes much more prone in a smaller home - like a mobile home.
2. Most places have changed codes to not allow the pleated dryer vents, although they can't prevent them from being sold. Too much build of of lint, which can cause a fire.

2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

albow

Harpersville, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 11:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone. To answer all of you at once, it's a Crosley and whirlpool made it. I have looked and although the instructions are presented for both gas and electric, I cannot find a nipple for gas so it must just be electric, which makes sense. It doesn't make sense that they don't include a cord, especially since they say don't use the old one but the instructions with a pic are supplied both for a 3 and a 4 prong, which my outlet is. Me and a friend have been talking and came to the same conclusions y'all have concerning airflow in and out for proper gas combustion but that's not a concern now. Thanks for coming through like y'all always do on here.

Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/21 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't need air for gas combustion but you still need airflow for the dryer to work. Reduced airflow could significantly extend the dry cycle and the cost of electricity.

They are not going to supply two cords so they supply none. Typically the installer will either use the cord from the old dryer or sell you the correct cord. And you can get cords in different lengths depending on the situation. The dryer manufacturer does not know your situation so this is common and ordinary procedure.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 01:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

albow wrote:

It doesn't make sense that they don't include a cord, especially since they say don't use the old one but the instructions with a pic are supplied both for a 3 and a 4 prong, which my outlet is.

They don’t include a cord because houses have a mix of 3 or 4 pin receptacles. Cords aren’t that expensive and are available at home improvement and hardware stores. I’d use the old one if it’s not damaged.

albow

Harpersville, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 02:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I guess it does make sense since there are 2 types of receptacles. Thanks.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 02:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

You can't operate a dryer in a closed room with a closed door. The dryer functions by moving hot moist air out the vent and outdoors. The room can create a vacuum and reduce airflow. Usually it is a 4" round exhaust vent so 25 square inches of window opening to allow air into the room. Not meant to be complex.

This is correct, if the room is tightly sealed. Very few rooms are that tightly sealed from the rest of a home.

However, I know people who run tons of laundry through a dryer in a closet installation with the door closed, and no special ventilation. Mine is in a 5x10' room with usually a door cracked to the rest of the house, and has been fine for 25 years, for sometimes 20 loads a week. Seems as long as you have something as much as a decent crack below a door that keeps the laundry room from being sealed, you're good.

I think this is kind of the usual CYA language that takes up half of owner's manuals any more.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 02:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

albow wrote:

"metal exhaust system hardware" must be used. "Special provisions must be made in mobile homes to introduce outside air into the dryer. The opening (such as a nearby window) should be twice as large as the dryer exhaust opening."

What exactly does this mean?

"metal exhaust system hardware" must be used.

Probably a good idea with a dryer, especially when it's gas.

"Special provisions must be made in mobile homes to introduce outside air into the dryer. The opening (such as a nearby window) should be twice as large as the dryer exhaust opening."

Direct from the manufacturers legal department. Some idiot apparently asphyxiated themselves using a gas dryer in a mobile home. That seems like something one would really have to work at but you have no shortage of morons out there. Mobile homes I have ever been familiar with were far from an energy efficient, draft free, airtight box with no air infiltration.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with mobile homes is they are fairly well sealed. Thus the blower on the dryer, if vented outdoors, can seriously lower the air pressure inside the house. a source of fresh air is needed.

Hopefully the unit includes the instructions or you might go to the manufacturer's product support page and see if there are instructions.. From your description of the install it won't be a problem.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Home dryer help needed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.