Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ram 1500 at Load Maximum Woes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram 1500 at Load Maximum Woes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
jnoflane2

Western US

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone knows that the Ram 1500 has very low GVWR. Well I would go a step further after towing with it for four years, when close to the maximum, it is under-sprung and sometimes dangerous.

I did end up adding air bags, but simply wanted a more stable platform, and I am NOT buying a 3/4 or 1 ton that rides rough when empty. I should also say that I have no intentions to exceed the maximum allowed by Ram.... I just want more firmness and stability.

So...... I added HD Progressive Springs and the Air Lift 1000HD.

Here is what our rig normally looks like when leaving for a camping trip.

[image]

Here are the pics of what I did.......

The pic of the truck is a little dark and hard to see, but the Billstein's up front raise the truck 1.8" and the TTC-1223VT Springs raise the rear 2". Those are 34's on those 20" rims.

Can't wait to hit the road on our next camping trip. Since I have added the necessary bits and pieces to our camper to make it "Four Seasons", we will take it up to the mountains a couple of times in February and March, as a base camp for a long weekend of skiing.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Thanks, John

2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6237LE
w/ Ford 7.3L V8

2oldman

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

huge pictures

jnoflane2

Western US

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah... nearly all other forums I frequent, auto size pics.... this forum should start doing the same.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thats the biggest truck I've ever seen. Where in the world can you find roads big enough for it? [emoticon]

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/21 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That load does not look too dangerous to me! I have a pic taken many years ago, with my first trailer, and a new F150 loaded with 2 dirt bikes in backward, one that you can't see is on other side of the GoldWing. Fairing removed from GW is in the trailer. So 3 bikes, plus gear, gas, etc, in truck bed, no suspension improvements.

[image]

Yup, overloaded, but who knew?? I was just a kid, no danger though! Still invincible at that time! [emoticon]

Jerry

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The thing that jumped out at me was all the ice on the ground! It takes a determined man to work on his truck when it is that cold.

Your solution looks great to me. I hope that you are happy with it. You might want to upgrade the shocks at some point to help handle the heavier loads.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried Timbrens on my Ram 1500. Terrible ride empty and loaded. I then tried a heavier progressive spring. It was better, but still not what was needed. Ultimately, I added springs that were 50% stiffer. They have been great. Ride is still good and it handles even overloaded conditions very well now.

I like your solution, but think if I do anymore, it'll probably be Sumospring bump stops.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jnoflane2 wrote:

I am NOT buying a 3/4 or 1 ton that rides rough when empty.

No comment on what you did, but wanted to address this... Have you driven a modern 3/4 or 1 ton truck? My coil spring 2500 rides very smooth when empty and tires aired down to 65ish. One of the guys that we camp with has a newish Ford F350 dually that rides smooth as glass... it was almost unbelievable how compliant the ride was.

20 years ago there was a huge disparity in ride comfort. You'd be hard pressed to tell a significant difference in ride comfort with modern trucks.

Back to your topic though...

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

QCMan

Independent Republic of Horry

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't see where you upgraded the parts that actually do the work, the axle shafts and bearings. Sorry but I cannot understand how adding more weight to the vehicle can increase the payload. All you are doing is compensating for the overload. Not any safer at all!

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.

camperfamily

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having driven a RAM 1500 with just a small ATV in the bed I can't say I'd be comfortable with your set up. But then my DD is a 1ton diesel pickup.

Just be safe out there and enjoy!

2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram 1500 at Load Maximum Woes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.