cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Vehicle Liability Insurance

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Doing shopping for new insurance company. So far, Geico and Progressive are coming in with the best quotes for full coverage for my 2019 Chev 1500. Any positives or negatives on either company? TIA..
34 REPLIES 34

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the Gecko for the last 15 years and love them. The few claims that I've had were handled quickly. We have house, vehicle and RV through them, so the discount is nice. Being in Florida, they are the lowest around.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:
propchef wrote:

I'm thinking you mean OE, not OEM. OEM can absolutely be a crapshoot. OE, not so much.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer
OE = Original Equipment

You get the point

As they said in Asia, "Same Same".

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
I've had GEICO since 18 yrs old. Decided recently to compare premiums so called my home owner insurance State Farm. Theirs was only $300 less but their coverage was less plus glass replacement was $500 deductible where GEICO was free. Decided to stay with GEICO.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
propchef wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
If it was me, I would find out if these companies use OEM parts. I understand they don't and that is why they keep prices low. This is most important to me

I'm thinking you mean OE, not OEM. OEM can absolutely be a crapshoot. OE, not so much.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer
OE = Original Equipment

You get the point
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I wonโ€™t touch Geico. Years ago, in the Navy, my shipmateโ€™s wife worked for GEICO. THEY couldnโ€™t get a policy with GEICO at the time. At that time they kept the rates low and payouts minimal by not insuring young unmarried men, boats, motorcycles, Jeeps, & similar. If you had an accident in the previous FIVE years, they wouldnโ€™t touch you. Any accident, other than extremely low cost and there was NO policy renewal. GEICO was like a surge suppressor, theyโ€™ll save you once, then itโ€™s gone!
Cute little gecko be damned!
USAA was formed as a mutual insurance company by several military officers. Initially only serving & retired military officers & candidates were accepted, later all military. Family members can continue as an associate member of the previously insured member., like my daughter. AFAIK, now military veterans are included. Thatโ€™s one of the ways they keep their prices down, limiting to a more trustworthy subset of the culture.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mich800 wrote:
IDman wrote:
Progressive will drop you at renewal time if you have any claims. All companies look at the frequency of claims, not the total dollar amount.

Try State Farm. They are in every state, whereas some of the companies mentioned above are not.

Any insurance company can drop you for any reason. I guarantee every single insurance company has no shortage of bad stories from policy holders. I have the same story except it was State Farm that screwed me. Had our snowmobiles stolen and got the insurance payoff and replaced them. On the way up on our first ride we got a call from our agent that State Farm dropped us. How's that for customer service.

Yup, without getting into stories, I can confirm the same. The worst issues I've had, albeit many years ago knock on wood, have been with Allstate, State Farm and AAA Chicago motor club. All top tiered companies. At the same time, have had good experience with Progressive minor claims only, but turfed them a few years ago after they disproportionately jacked our rates with no basis. Some "think" they're getting hosed, but need to look at their driving record and now credit score as well. But others, it's just like other household "services" like internet or cable/satellite. Once you're an established customer, they can and will attempt to make more money off of you and apparently plenty of people fall for it and just carry on, because if the majority were diligent about it, the companies wouldn't use that tactic because it would be ineffective at increasing revenue and profit. (Makes sense, no one want's the hassle of finding new insurance, so many choose to eat the rate increase out of convenience.)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
IDman wrote:
Progressive will drop you at renewal time if you have any claims. All companies look at the frequency of claims, not the total dollar amount.

Try State Farm. They are in every state, whereas some of the companies mentioned above are not.

Any insurance company can drop you for any reason. I guarantee every single insurance company has no shortage of bad stories from policy holders. I have the same story except it was State Farm that screwed me. Had our snowmobiles stolen and got the insurance payoff and replaced them. On the way up on our first ride we got a call from our agent that State Farm dropped us. How's that for customer service.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
specta wrote:
I have Progressive ins on my ATV.

My insurance agent does the shopping for me.

My car, truck, camper (agreed value) and ATV trailer (agreed value) are all covered by German Town Ins.

Until she signed me up with them I had never heard of them. One no-fault claim on my truck with absolutely no issues.

If I were you I'd check real close on that supposed "agreed value" claim. I think if you really check it out it's "stated value" which is much different than agreed value

I may have worded it wrong, but if my camper gets totaled they will pay me the value that we agreed to. That's what I asked my agent to do and that's what she did.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
IDman wrote:

In case you did not read my real-life example, I had a total loss in August 2019, total loss in May 2020, and they still renewed me in November 2020. And, rates were not higher.

I am sorry if they dropped you, since you appear to have this opinion.

And to answer the question about service, I have been completely satisfied with Progressive.

My previous claim in 2013 with Liberty Mutual was significantly worse, and I left them a dissatisfied customer. I may switch to the OnStar insurance when they start selling in Michigan.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always wonder why most people look for the least expensive insurance. We get insurance because when something happens we are expecting to be taken care of quickly and completely. Cheap insurance will never deliver either. Check into USAA, they are highly rated.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everybody. Lots of food for thought. Clean driving record, only claim in 2019 and that was due to Act of God, 2 big tree limbs down on my truck in TN. Age, home state (FL) and truck (2019) are all a major factor in quotes. I tried State Farm, office here in town and they came in 200 more per year than current.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Progressive been good to me. I rear ended a car and mine and theirs were totaled. They paid regent up. Tore a 23ft awning off and they paid. I am near 80 years old also and very little increase over about 15 years. Checked others and no one came close. DP, 2 pickups, Smart car, and Mercedes.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
I have Progressive ins on my ATV.

My insurance agent does the shopping for me.

My car, truck, camper (agreed value) and ATV trailer (agreed value) are all covered by German Town Ins.

Until she signed me up with them I had never heard of them. One no-fault claim on my truck with absolutely no issues.

If I were you I'd check real close on that supposed "agreed value" claim. I think if you really check it out it's "stated value" which is much different than agreed value