Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Tow Vehicle Liability Insurance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow Vehicle Liability Insurance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 05:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it was me, I would find out if these companies use OEM parts. I understand they don't and that is why they keep prices low. This is most important to me

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/21 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had USAA, both of us squeaky clean records for more than twenty years.
Started off fine, then they started raising the premium each year. Called them and,"we never claimed to be the cheapest" and refused to back down. We now have the lizard.
Interestingly enough several days after we switched their retention agent called crying saying they could work with us. Too little to late, they had their chance.

propchef

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

If it was me, I would find out if these companies use OEM parts. I understand they don't and that is why they keep prices low. This is most important to me

I'm thinking you mean OE, not OEM. OEM can absolutely be a crapshoot. OE, not so much.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer
OE = Original Equipment

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/21 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since we travel, I would pick any of the large national insurance companies. Then just buy on price. Shop it every 3 to 4 years, unless you get a large premium increase.

Bundling seems like a good idea, and that is working with Geico for home and RV. However, we own a second home in our home state and Geico is almost twice the price as Nationwide, while Nationwide is much more expensive on our primary home and mobile junk.

So, I have Nationwide on the vacation home and Geico on the rest. I just go by the numbers. So far, knock on wood, I am in my 60's and have never placed a claim and I am of no use on claims experience.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/21 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was with State Farm for 30 years. Asked about getting a better price and told they are as low as they can go. I decided to check prices elsewhere and reduced my costs $1400 a year. 5 years with prices creeping up every year I checked prices again. Dropped another $600 per year.
Now every 3 to 5 years I go online and shop the major companies. How will they perform when we have a claim? Progressive sent a check directly to the repair shop 4 months ago when the wife backed out before the garage door was open. No problems at all.

Not sure who I'll be with in a few more years but price matters when you are paying for something you will likely not use.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

propchef wrote:

We were with Geico for more than 30 years. My wife was hit broadside, setting off airbags and nearly destroying the vehicle (wife was shaken, but OK). This was the only claim we ever made.

Geico more than doubled our premiums. We're with Nationwide now and very happy.

I too have been happy with Nationwide and have been with them over 30 years. Their rates have been good and they have settled all claims well, whether I am the receiving the money or someone else is.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most independent agents I've spoken to (off-the-record, of course), say USAA, overall, offers the best value and service. With that being said, there's bad press about everything these days--including USAA. Through the years I've had claims with most of the major insurance companies at one time or another. All good experiences. However, I've found USAA to be a step above in terms of their very efficient (and fair) claims process.

Ref the use of OEM parts, to my knowledge, nearly all insurance companies start using aftermarket parts once a vehicle reaches a certain age. USAA would only accept estimates with aftermarket pricing for our '16 Ram 3500 when it was damaged by a sandstorm last year. Quickly learned that many local dealers will often supply OEM parts at aftermarket prices on a case-by-case basis. Unless you take the time to coordinate this, most body shops will just use aftermarket parts. It's very important to retain OEM parts if the parts in question are still covered by an existing (or extended) OEM warranty.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only claim I have ever had in 60 years of driving was with Progressive and they did it right. No other experience with claims. Price will go up yearly for all companies. You just have to shop around occasionally.

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/21 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all very much. Gives me 3 more to check today. For laughs, I called USAA and lady told me they had no benefits for a deceased military spouse... no way to include them. (HUH???) So, I am not eligible as a WWII vet's spouse. I thanked her and hung up.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

When was the last time you saw an office for either one?

Like my response in another insurance thread. A shingle hung out is not an indicator of a good insurance company. 21st century now. Not like the olden days!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow Vehicle Liability Insurance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.