cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cellular blinds: Should I switch or not ? PLEASE CHIME IN!!

Deuceofspades
Explorer
Explorer
(No I am not interested in mini blinds so no need to tell me about them)

Revamping my entire RV and my current Day/Night shades are shot and need to be replaced. I am thinking about switching to CELLULAR BLINDS...

DOES ANYONE HAVE THEM IN THEIR RIG? If so, I would LOOOOVE your feedback and advice on this, before I take the plunge (I am a FT RVer so this is am important decision for my day to day life):

1. Are you still happy you switched?
2. Do you have dogs and if so did the cellular blinds hold up to their noses pushing on blinds from time to time
3. Did you get the magnet hold down brackets and if so do they work to prevent blinds from flopping around while driving?
4. what brand did you buy and from where?
5. What size cell? Do you have valance (cornice) treatment (I do) and if so did you keep it or got rid of valance?

I loved the 2" cells ones but they are too large to fit inside my cornices :((

6. Do bugs crawl into them (I have heard of that) and is it easy to pop them off of their headrail brackets to blow the buggs and dust out of the cells?

7. If they get a little abused (dogs, wind etc) do they crease (wrinkles that won't go away)?

8. Do they stain easily and have you had luck in cleaning them with a damp sponge?

Any advice, feedbacks, problems to share?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
Faith, Kaya and Cody
2006 Monaco Monarch - 30F
Wells Cargo car trailer
11 REPLIES 11

Philipclopez
Explorer
Explorer
We use RecPro day and night on my RV. The cotton shade blinds filtering the sunlight to enter into my RV. The tan material is opaque and perfect for nighttime as it blocks all the light in my surroundings from entering my RV, keeping it quiet and dark for a good nightโ€™s sleep.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer curtains that can be washed. I find that the inside of a RV can get pretty dusty, plus kids/dogs get things on them sometimes. I used rods and clip on rings to hang curtains that I made. The rods are small and sit on large Command hooks.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you checked out this companies shades. They are expensive but they are nice.

www.irvineshadeanddoor.com

Sorry I tried but not smart enough to make it a clicky
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I dumped the mini blinds for MCD day night shades. Day shades like a screen so you can see out not in, nights more like black out shades. There are some other companies the make similar, not cheap but to me well worth it.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Deuceofspades
Explorer
Explorer
I agree... They now make DAY/NIGHT cellular blinds ๐Ÿ™‚ the best of both worlds hehehe

BurbMan wrote:
We have had both blinds and day/night pleated shades. Have also had cellular in the S&B.

Day/night shades are by far the best for light control. You can have daylight or total blackout for sleeping. The bad news if you boondock and like the windows open, they also block all airflow and breezes as well.

Miniblinds are barely adequate for light control, but allow decent airflow even when closed, so if you like a light breeze when sleeping, this is the best choice.

Cellular shades are best at insulating if you in a hot or cold climate. Because you only have one color per shade, you either pick a day color or night color. If insulation value is what you need, I would probably go dark in the bedroom and light in the living room.

Bottom line, there is no "best choice". Think about where you camp, and how you you feel about light control and air movement.
Faith, Kaya and Cody
Wells Cargo car trailer

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had both blinds and day/night pleated shades. Have also had cellular in the S&B.

Day/night shades are by far the best for light control. You can have daylight or total blackout for sleeping. The bad news if you boondock and like the windows open, they also block all airflow and breezes as well.

Miniblinds are barely adequate for light control, but allow decent airflow even when closed, so if you like a light breeze when sleeping, this is the best choice.

Cellular shades are best at insulating if you in a hot or cold climate. Because you only have one color per shade, you either pick a day color or night color. If insulation value is what you need, I would probably go dark in the bedroom and light in the living room.

Bottom line, there is no "best choice". Think about where you camp, and how you you feel about light control and air movement.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced the minis with cellular in my trailer. I replaced primarily for additional blocking of the morning sun. They have worked great and no issues going on 10 years. I don't have pets. I think it is 1" cell. I got the cheap ones at Lowes where they custom cut them to the width right in the store. Length is just standard and a bit extra is unnoticed. Never an issue with bugs. Mine still look new but then we are not full time. I kept the oem fabric covered cornice/valence. Had to be removed for the blind install then replaced. A couple had some difficulty with fitment of brackets but most were easy. No hold downs so they must shift in flight or sometimes if we remember we just put them all up.

Deuceofspades
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Had them in our last coach. Will likely install them in our new coach. I responded to your PM.

Got your great reply via PM bill and responded ๐Ÿ™‚

PS: You lost me a bit with the above post, I didn't understand it LOL.
Faith, Kaya and Cody
Wells Cargo car trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have them in our trailer -- they get a lot of abuse and have held up very well over 8 years of camping.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have them in my house. They are energy savers. The hold in the heat and block the sun.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had them in our last coach. Will likely install them in our new coach. I responded to your PM.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?