cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Junction to Steamboat Springs CO to Flaming Gorge UT

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Any problem taking 131 from I-70 up to Steamboat Springs with motorhome towing car? Grades, drop offs, curvy, passing lanes (or easy for others to pass anyway), a few pulloffs available? Any other preferred suggestion?

Then to Flaming Gorge. Need at least electric hookup. From Sedona, was going to stay on west side (Manila) until Steamboat Springs came into the picture (relative acquired land we want to visit). Dutch John RV Park seems to be the only campground with hookups on the east side, correct? So from SS, how is 40 west to 318 to 1364 to 191 then south to Dutch John?
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara
4 REPLIES 4

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Always nice to find a great repair shop!

Thanks for your good advice!
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Sorry to be confusing Busskipper. Thank you for your reply. I was originally planning to go to Flaming Gorge last summer, but didn't. Would have driven from home (Sedona) straight there via Salt Lake City over I-80 and into Manila. Stay at Manila KOA or Lucerne as you mentioned.

But now we might first go to our relative's land which is actually near Stagecoach SP. So wanted to know about 131.

After that stay, then on to FG. Was a little leery about driving 191 up from Vernal and especially about 44 over to the west side. I have driven all over the West...Oregon Coast, Wolf Creek Pass, etc. But still not crazy about switchbacks and cliffs and such. Anyway, so I wanted to know about that route off of 40...318/1364...that ends up at 191 north of Dutch John.

Hope that clarifies things ๐Ÿ™‚

Sort of added up - but when you threw Sedona and Manila in - just was not on the local map ๐Ÿ™‚

We've driven RT 44 a number of times and last year we were having Alternator problems which caused all sorts of additional issues - made it to Vernal and got lucky with a great service shop - so good that latter when we had issues with the Turbo I did a 500 detour to return to have it worked on and Repaired - Good Shop - https://www.cjs-diesel.com/ - took care of everything and still had money in my Pocket. ๐Ÿ™‚

RT 44 is honestly a Beautiful Drive - as I've always taken it I cannot comment on RT 191 around to the East as the only time I took it was like 40 years ago - :S

Stagecoach is a Great stop and the entire area is pretty Neat, Sounds like a great Trip.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to be confusing Busskipper. Thank you for your reply. I was originally planning to go to Flaming Gorge last summer, but didn't. Would have driven from home (Sedona) straight there via Salt Lake City over I-80 and into Manila. Stay at Manila KOA or Lucerne as you mentioned.

But now we might first go to our relative's land which is actually near Stagecoach SP. So wanted to know about 131.

After that stay, then on to FG. Was a little leery about driving 191 up from Vernal and especially about 44 over to the west side. I have driven all over the West...Oregon Coast, Wolf Creek Pass, etc. But still not crazy about switchbacks and cliffs and such. Anyway, so I wanted to know about that route off of 40...318/1364...that ends up at 191 north of Dutch John.

Hope that clarifies things ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Any problem taking 131 from I-70 up to Steamboat Springs with motorhome towing car? Grades, drop offs, curvy, passing lanes (or easy for others to pass anyway), a few pulloffs available? Any other preferred suggestion?

Then to Flaming Gorge. Need at least electric hookup. From Sedona, was going to stay on west side (Manila) until Steamboat Springs came into the picture (relative acquired land we want to visit). Dutch John RV Park seems to be the only campground with hookups on the east side, correct? So from SS, how is 40 west to 318 to 1364 to 191 then south to Dutch John?

Sorry - but where will this start and end I get lost just trying to follow your questions, might try to get the points of interest in order then just put them in as way points - RT 131 is fine to SS - if you don't mind a little drive you could stay in Stagecoach State Park along the way and drive into Steamboat - drive is pretty and not to bad (long). RT 40 is a good road - easy drive to Flaming Gorge on up RT 191.

We usually take RT 44 around to the West and stay there. RT 44 is a real drive may be a challenge for some. RT 146 down into the reservoir where I'd suggest you stay - all sorts of locations to look over in this area.

Have no idea if this is any help, We love the park and the water.

Best of Luck,

Link
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach