Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New F350 owner seeks TC information

F-350shortBed
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2000 F350, crew cab, shortbed in order to acquire a TC so that I can avoid the hour commute to and from work. I am an ICU nurse, things have been very busy lately so I have been picking up a lot of extra shifts. Also had a few mandated 16hour days and shifts.

I come seeking knowledge on selecting the appropriate camper which I would like to purchase used. I have been expanding my search since I recently learned a lot of people mount longer TC's on 1 ton shortbed trucks with airbags and beefier shocks/springs. This opens up my options, plus I have a family id like to take on the road someday and having more space would be nice.

The truck I bought has 6" lift, airbags, heavier springs, shocks, and lower gears. The guy i bought it from towed a 5th wheel with it. It also has a shift kit and it's a diesel.

I hope this topic isn't oppressively beat to death already, there are some dead posts I've read which still leave me with questions like:

How do i figure out the COG on certain models like: 2014 Arctic fox 811; 97' Bigfoot 3000 series; etc...?

Also, should I install tie down mounts now or after I find my TC? I kinda want to drive away with it the day I buy it, but who knows? I'm leaning towards torklift, i often camp down in Baja on 4x4 type roads (when there is no pandemic.)

And should I remove the tailgate now or wait? I guess i could leave it on then remove onsite if needed.

Thanks for reading this.
76 REPLIES 76

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
F-350shortBed wrote:
My rig is dope, it handles fine.

When Iโ€™m rolling down the Baja peninsula and all the haters be posting about raised trucks being death traps from the safety of a KOA campground, Iโ€™ll be even happier about my setup.

Go do a shakedown cruise on to the Carizzo Plain just south of you and have a blast.

https://www.blm.gov/programs/national-conservation-lands/california/carrizo-plain-national-monument
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
There is lifted truck and lifted truck.
Scrolling youtube, I found a guy who lifted his Ford and put wheels big enough to make it floating.
Speed was lousy, but the truck did float.
Could become handy in Baja.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
F-350shortBed wrote:

When Iโ€™m rolling down the Baja peninsula and all the haters be posting about raised trucks being death traps from the safety of a KOA campground, Iโ€™ll be even happier about my setup.

Truth!

Yep.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
F-350shortBed wrote:

Truth!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

F-350shortBed
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Lifting COG a foot definitely is not helping in hard cornering.
I never felt danger in hard cornering with my setup.

You know, a FOOT or 2" like the OP posted.
He don't care what the antagonists think. I'm sure he's happy with his setup no matter how much someone tries to talk down about it.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg and Noteven: Those are part of the point I was trying to make. Wasn't intended to slag off Charlie. Posting a link to a video without knowing what the actual cause was of the result is misleading, especially since the guy in the video obviously was talking out his backside.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Lifting COG a foot definitely is not helping in hard cornering.
I never felt danger in hard cornering with my setup.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
F-350shortBed wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:
Here is the problem with a short bed, SRW, raised truck hauling an excessive large truck camper. Real Life situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Y4ZjO8Lyw&feature=emb_logo

Also- I measured the height of bed of the stock 3/4 ton GMC pickup that carried the camper that I bought without the camper inside the bed. It was 3inches shorter than my bed, but the GMC had rails for a fifth wheel hitch so it sat on 1โ€ plywood.

So this camper sits 2โ€ s higher on after market stiffer 3600# springs, airbags AND itโ€™s in a ONE ton truck with E rated tires versus a stock suspension 3/4 ton truck. Which vehicle do you think could corner more safely, mine or the stock setup of the former owner ?

Nice looking setup!
And in regards to the above post, welcome to rvnet! The land of grumpy ole men who would probably find something to complain about while receiving a briefcase full of $100 bills while getting a __ from a supermodel!
Will be so nice to climb into your โ€œhomeโ€ after work. Looks like you found a great truck AND camper!

F-350shortBed
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
Here is the problem with a short bed, SRW, raised truck hauling an excessive large truck camper. Real Life situation.

Also- I measured the height of bed of the stock 3/4 ton GMC pickup that carried the camper that I bought without the camper inside the bed. It was 3inches shorter than my bed, but the GMC had rails for a fifth wheel hitch so it sat on 1โ€ plywood.

So this camper sits 2โ€ s higher on after market stiffer 3600# springs, airbags AND itโ€™s in a ONE ton truck with E rated tires versus a stock suspension 3/4 ton truck. Which vehicle do you think could corner more safely, mine or the stock setup of the former owner ?

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
PastorCharlie wrote:

There is no way one can specifically attribute this accident to the truck config. Driver error. Driver driving like an idiot. Something broke. Someone cut him off, forcing a catastrophic emergency maneuver. Truck capability is just one of many possibilities.
Not to be to harsh on you, but posting this as an example of fact is golf course locker room nonsense.
This guy is one of those dummies that hangs around, being a PITA to the cops. Acting like he's got something useful to contribute when all he wants is to get some sort of hero pat on the head.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice looking setup.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Yea!

Nice looking truck and camper! :W

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!