Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New F350 owner seeks TC information
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New F350 owner seeks TC information

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why buy used when you can buy a new 2021 Northstar Arrow for the same or less money?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To try to clarify a couple things now that you’ve been digesting the info for a while.
Getting camper on and off the truck which is presumably 7-8” higher than stock (lift and tire size). Doesn’t seem like much but you won’t get it without cribbing up under the camper jacks. So plan on that. It wouldn’t bother me, per se, but makes it more critical to have a stable relatively level spot to load and unload.
Height? Betting it will be over 12’ tall. TCs are already tall, but this will be taller. Consider whatever needs to be with that. Storage area height, access into camper etc.
Handling? I’m sure it won’t be the worst handling rig on the road, but that is subjective.
Some folks are afraid of their own shadow when towing/hauling and some aren’t. Decide where you are on that scale.

Test drive? Not a common scenario. The buyer for my last camper test drove it, but it wasn’t a “see if I like it” scenario, we had already traded titles on trucks and it was a tutorial run. Because he was a good guy.

Good luck searching. I see the occasional big TC on a lifted truck around here. I’m sure it just requires more caution to drive.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

Why buy used when you can buy a new 2021 Northstar Arrow for the same or less money?

Don’t like the floor plan, don’t like the resale value, don’t like the type of construction, etc.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbloof wrote:

While NL's are marketed for 3/4 and 1T trucks, the challenge here is if the camper can be lifted enough to get it on the bed.

Camper jacks don't extend forever. Considering that fully retracted the camper will sit ~1 foot (or less) off the ground, how much lift is needed to reach your trucks bed? (keep in mind that many want a few inches extra gap between the bed and the bottom of the camper when lifted)

What is the distance from the ground to the inside bed of your level truck?

- Mark0.
You bring up a good point.

OP's bed height is going to be critical.

At most, there's only 3-4 inches of jack travel remaining when we load our '19 NL 8-11 on our stock '16 Ram 3500 SRW under ideal, flat conditions. On a couple of occasions we've had to extend the one or more jacks to their max extension to load the camper on slightly unlevel ground.

Unless the stock bed height on the OP's 2000 F350 is significantly lower than our '16 Ram 3500, IMO the OP is not going to be able to *safely* load/unload most campers with his truck's 6" lift.

F-350shortBed

Natividad Medical Center

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These are all excellent points. I am considering brand new Northstars. Also, in terms of blocks to get the camper high enough, I was looking at these :

Camco FasTen 2x2 RV Leveling Block For Single Tir... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T36IQJO/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_D7N66G18D1VRNWF2RXPK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I was thinking that I could also use them in the parking lot at work for the truck tire level as well. In the meantime I cannot buy anything until the correct torklift tie down arrives in the mail and I install them.

F-350shortBed

Natividad Medical Center

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ground to bed is about 38.25”

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A phone call to Lance will clear up the c of g question.

A phone call to the jack oem will tell you the lift inches so you can measure the camper.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hedgehopper wrote:

Did we consider our popup “a nuisance”? Hardly. And if the OP’s camper is going to sit in a parking lot for days at a time, what difference would it make if it’s a popup?

Noise and light. if the OP is camping at a work parking lot Ie. hospital, there will be commings and going at all house so a hard side provides better noise insulation, and blocks more light. a soft side would "glow" when headlights shone on it. also if it is a climat where it can get cool, a hard side provides better insulation. soft sides have a place, keeping the camper light, reducing overall height when traveling, and better fule milage, but they have the reade offs as well besides the ones I already mentioned reduced storage was on issue in the ones I looked at. also if you live in a damp area then it has the same issues as a tent trailer with having to make sure you set it up as soon as you get home to let it dry.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F-350shortBed wrote:

These are all excellent points. I am considering brand new Northstars. Also, in terms of blocks to get the camper high enough, I was looking at these :

Camco FasTen 2x2 RV Leveling Block For Single Tir... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T36IQJO/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_D7N66G18D1VRNWF2RXPK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I was thinking that I could also use them in the parking lot at work for the truck tire level as well. In the meantime I cannot buy anything until the correct torklift tie down arrives in the mail and I install them.

dont waist money on thoes for loading and unloading they wont hold up to the weight of camper jacks on them. just figure out how much more hight you need then either use a cinder block with wood on top or just build good heavy duty wood blocks out of scrap 2x4's

Steve

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

F-350shortBed wrote:

dont waist money on thoes for loading and unloading they wont hold up to the weight of camper jacks on them. just figure out how much more hight you need then either use a cinder block with wood on top or just build good heavy duty wood blocks out of scrap 2x4's

Steve

Right. I don’t think OP plans to unload in the hospital parking lot?
Use the cinder blocks at home.
We seldom unload when using the TC, pretty much unload only at home.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New F350 owner seeks TC information
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.