Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: 5th Wheel Broken Stud Theory
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 5th Wheel Broken Stud Theory

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/21 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

Do your buddies use cordless impact or air impacts when installing their lug nuts? They could be over torquing the studs from the outset and the torque wrench is just a placebo. A torque wrench has to move the fastener to be accurate.
This is true. I was a Snap-on tool dealer for about 4 years. If you keep checking them without backing them off first you stretch the bolt a little each time.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/21 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

I was a Snap-on tool dealer for about 4 years. If you keep checking them without backing them off first you stretch the bolt a little each time.

Quite the opposite, if the bolt is checked and it didn't move, it can't stretch. If it did move, then you are just doing a proper torque.

zimmysurprise

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zimmysurprise wrote:

They say I'm smoking crack with that theory, but they can offer no explanation why. Please explain to me why this theory is wrong.

Thanks for all the responses, especially BB_TX and Old Biscuit who directly addressed my question. I think their explanations are valid, that vertical pressure of 3000# + pounding down the road and side loading torque are most likely at play.

I'm less convinced that the brand of torque wrench is the cause or that I know the only two guys who ever broke a wheel stud on their campers but thanks for your opinions.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Bird Freak wrote:

I was a Snap-on tool dealer for about 4 years. If you keep checking them without backing them off first you stretch the bolt a little each time.

Quite the opposite, if the bolt is checked and it didn't move, it can't stretch. If it did move, then you are just doing a proper torque.
But if the torque wrench clicks and the nut doesn't move, that doesn't mean the nut is at proper torque. A bolt/nut needs to be moving to get the torque correct. If the wrench clicks when the nut is stationary, you're looking at static friction, not necessarily proper torque setting. The bolt/nut has to be moving when the wrench clicks.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/21 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Bird Freak wrote:

Problem is most folks don't know how to properly use a torque wrench and will move it a bit.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if the failures the OP's friends had came from adjusting/checking Torque on HOT wheels, instead of waiting for them to cool to ambient temp? YES, CORRECT recheck of Torque requires you to loosen and THEN tighten and Torque. AND, following the correct Torque sequence. Which is almost 180 degree across each lug nut. Doug

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

Bird Freak wrote:

Problem is most folks don't know how to properly use a torque wrench and will move it a bit.
Well, that is the proper way to use a torque wrench. Using it on a stationary nut isn't correct. As you tighten the nut, when the wrench clicks, it's correct. Stopping and checking is not the way to do it.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/21 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

But if the torque wrench clicks and the nut doesn't move, that doesn't mean the nut is at proper torque. A bolt/nut needs to be moving to get the torque correct. If the wrench clicks when the nut is stationary, you're looking at static friction, not necessarily proper torque setting. The bolt/nut has to be moving when the wrench clicks.

That will give you the correct torque but the subject is broken studs. You aren't going to break studs by using a wrench and not moving anything.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But you also won't know if the nuts are torqued to spec. So if they actually know how to check the torque settings, they know the nut has to turn to check correctly. So it could very easily lead to over tightening and eventual breakage. Not that I've ever heard of many wheel stud breaking.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/21 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. Is it possible the Torque Wrench is way out of calibration?
2. Is it possible they are NOT using the CORRECT Torque?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 5th Wheel Broken Stud Theory
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.