cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you regret getting rid of your RV cornices?

Deuceofspades
Explorer
Explorer
RV cornices (aka valance - they go over the top of your curtains head rails and usually also cover the sides, framing your window blinds), not always a love story LOL. It's tempting to get rid of them when remodeling, and I saw TONS of internet posts showing "before and after" where, invariably, the owners got rid the cornices.

I'm debating myself if I should do the same.

But cornices may serve more than a "looking pretty - or trying to" purpose. For example I suspect they help further insulate leaks from the windows (cold air coming in, heat leaking out etc) AND also block light leaks, blocking sunlight out more than blinds alone would be able to, since light can still come in from top and sides of blinds.

So I wonder: DID YOU GET RID OF YOUR CORNICES and if, do you now regret it and if so why?

If you never looked back, are still glad they are gone, and they served no purpose let me know, cause then I might say goodbye to mine too LOL.

Thanks for the feedback.
Faith, Kaya and Cody
2006 Monaco Monarch - 30F
Wells Cargo car trailer
21 REPLIES 21

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
One positive comment on them is that they eliminate the ability of your neighbors who are parked next door - often VERY close by next door, from seeing into the trailer from the edges of the shades or curtains. Without them, it is very easy to look inside at night, even without trying.

In many campgrounds, the sites are very close together and people like to sit outside at night around a campfire. Can't help sometime seeing inside a persons trailer or motorhome because of the gap in the curtains edges.

Just thought I would bring this up since there are so many who are against the things and to answer the OP's question, NO, we did not get rid of ours mainly because of the reason I stated.
Barney

I made curtains for my windows, and set the rod brackets a few inches wider than the window. Makes the window look bigger, lets in more light when the curtains are pushed back, and blocks light and visibility when the curtains are closed.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
We removed the side valances on our KZ as soon as we got it. Left the top part on to hide the shades when they are up and put stuff on top of them like a shelf.

No regrets at all, would do it again in a heartbeat.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Mine in the bedroom was pretty simple. I was able to cut off the horrible draped print curtains and add a strip of maple veneer. I like a cleaner modern look.

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Valence, cornice, lambequin, I believe Deuce is talking about these things that go around the windows:

These are invariably upholstered with the ugliest fabric available. In a previous trailer, I removed them and replaced them with ones I made from oak and stained. If you have miniblinds, they are function in the sense that they keep the blinds from bouncing around when in transit.

If you have pleated shades, they don't do much to keep the shades in place (since the shades are tethered) but visually they do hide the top bar, and as was noted, offer some light protection on the sides.

I removed them in our latest truck camper project and never looking back!

The picture shows exactly what was in my motorhome. They are gone (out with the garbage) and so are the blinds they covered. I put up regular house curtain rods and curtains. No regrets. Now I can change curtains at will.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
One positive comment on them is that they eliminate the ability of your neighbors who are parked next door - often VERY close by next door, from seeing into the trailer from the edges of the shades or curtains. Without them, it is very easy to look inside at night, even without trying.

In many campgrounds, the sites are very close together and people like to sit outside at night around a campfire. Can't help sometime seeing inside a persons trailer or motorhome because of the gap in the curtains edges.

Just thought I would bring this up since there are so many who are against the things and to answer the OP's question, NO, we did not get rid of ours mainly because of the reason I stated.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

ForkNRoad
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't done this yet (we are a few months from actually owning an RV) but I plan to. I see them as unsightly, unnecessary, and simply not worth the weight or dust gathering. FWIW and all.

Foggy
Explorer
Explorer
I removed ours last fall. They interfered with fully opening closet doors. Will see if they are missed this camping season. I doubt it. Bedroom is brighter without them. Cannot put them up again because they were destroyed getting 'em off.
Happy-Trails
Foggy

Deuceofspades
Explorer
Explorer
I am back, sorry or any confusion, yes valance / cornices, frame your windows inside the RV basically. So now that we have identified them :), I'd love to hear from more people, please chime in if you have removed them: did you notice any difference, light and insulation wise?
Faith, Kaya and Cody
2006 Monaco Monarch - 30F
Wells Cargo car trailer

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
frankwp wrote:
We removed ours for a cleaner look. RV designers seem to think that the inside of an RV should look like a bordello.

This.

I would never ever have that type of cornice in my house, and don't like it in the RV.

I removed the cornice and ugly shades. Replaced them with some curtains that I made, on rods.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
We removed ours for a cleaner look. RV designers seem to think that the inside of an RV should look like a bordello.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
We removed all of ours and like the 'clean' look. It also made it a heck of a lot easier when it came time to repair the blinds.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Well now, I've learned TWO things this week.

Cornices are NOT the moldings around the edge of roof and wall, like I thought google description was saying.

But, they are what I think most people refer to as valances.

The word can be applied to either one, actually. The decorative molding around a ceiling or at the top edge of an (outside) wall may properly be called a cornice. A box-like ornamental thing around the top edge of a window may also be called a cornice, as can a molding around the top of a piece of furniture. It's a general term for any horizontally projecting ornamental bit at the top of something.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well now, I've learned TWO things this week.

Cornices are NOT the moldings around the edge of roof and wall, like I thought google description was saying.

But, they are what I think most people refer to as valances.

Learned more this week than I have in a while.

I'll still call them valances though....

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Valence, cornice, lambequin, I believe Deuce is talking about these things that go around the windows:

These are invariably upholstered with the ugliest fabric available. In a previous trailer, I removed them and replaced them with ones I made from oak and stained. If you have miniblinds, they are function in the sense that they keep the blinds from bouncing around when in transit.

If you have pleated shades, they don't do much to keep the shades in place (since the shades are tethered) but visually they do hide the top bar, and as was noted, offer some light protection on the sides.

I removed them in our latest truck camper project and never looking back!