Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often to disconnect from shore power

Sir_Traveller
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone…

I have a 2003 Ford F-53 RV

I have questions regarding charging house & chassis batteries, How often to disconnect from shore power

I usually stay hooked up to shore power for 6 months, then leave the RV in storage for the other 6 months … So after 3 years of this schedule the chassis battery died even though I was hooked up for months , and now the deep cycle batteries are leaking .. (I did replace the starting battery )

What are my options in this case to increase the longevity of both the starting and house batteries? (Since the charging system is built in) disconnect from the shore power for few minutes every day? For few hours every week? Should I remove the negative terminal from the starting battery even when hooked to shore power? If so then how often?
Take into consideration that my fridge and microwave work only when connected to shore power… I do not know much about how electric systems work so that is why I ask all these details to make sure I get it right
25 REPLIES 25

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
When plugged in the chassis battery does not get charged, only the house batteries.

Careful about oversimplifying - our Tiffin came from the factory with a trickle-charger connected to the starting batteries, so they definitely DO get charged whenever the bus is on shore power.

Electrical systems vary all over the place from brand to brand, and model to model. It's hard sometimes to make blanket statements that apply to them all for some aspects of their design and capabilities.
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

Sir_Traveller
Explorer
Explorer
many thanks to all who participated, your suggestions and ideas have been very helpful

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine stays plugged in if not on the road.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this is practical in your situation but take the batteries with you and keep them on a trickle charger.

You need a good 3 stage converter in the RV to prevent overcharging when on shore power.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a lot of ways people use to maintain batteries. What I do during the camping season I wait until my batteries self discharge to 80%SOC then fully recharge them. In the winter storage season I fully charge when I winterize, disconnect the negative cables and the batteries are good until spring. Most batteries fail from under charging when sulfation builds up on the plates, but I think plates last longer(less lead shedding) if not left to charge constantly.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Battery disconnect or pull the batts.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sir Traveller wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Add solar, or charge once every 30 days while in storage.

When in use--make sure the converter is smart enough to drop to a float voltage. Overcharging is just as bad as undercharging.

I'll be moving to SiO2 batteries next summer as they can tolerate a LOT of abuse.

Get a tric-l-start for the chassis battery.

thank you
I have no access to the RV while in storage as I will be out of state ( I live in south California , so hot dry weather most of the year... if that is a factor )

There are timers that work over a seven day period. Or you could invest in a solar charging system, if the storage is outdoors.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
the answer depends on the converter a 2003... Well I'd hope it has either a very well regulated like a Dang can't recall the company name 7300 is the model (Google is my friend Parallex) or better yet a porper 3-stage (Progressive Dynamics with charge wizard either built in or plugged in)

Unplug before moving to a new location.

Older Magnetek (Parallex bought 'em out) 6300 series. UPGRADE (Progressive Dynamics 4600 is the upgrade. use same fuses and breakers. new "Guts")
9200 for deck mounts..

But that's the difference. My batteries made it 9 years for the first set. 2nd set... Well they went with the Rv after the semi hit it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sir_Traveller
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
If in storage, why do you need the Fridge or microwave to work??

that is only when hooked to shore power of course, when in storage obviously fridge will be off and empty, my questions are regarding the best ways to keep both batteries charged. and if I disconnect from shore power ( for few minutes a day or few hours a week ) to put a load on the house batteries

Sir_Traveller
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
1. When plugged into Shore Power for that 6 months, you need to start the chassis engine weekly for about 15 minutes.
2. When plugged into Shore Power for that 6 months you need to check the COACH battery water weekly
3. When in Storage, DISCONNECT the Negative of the Chassis battery
4. For 6 months in storage, I would also disconnect the Negatives from the COACH batteries.
5. DO WHAT EVERY RV OWNER SHOULD DO----TAKE GOOD PICS OF THE VARIOUS CABLES CONNECTED TO BOTH BATTERY BANKS AND ALSO MAKE A EASY TO READ DIAGRAM OF THOSE CABLES AND WHERE THEY GO. IT WILL PAY YOU BACK WHEN YOU HAVE TO MESS WITH THE BATTERY CABLES OR REPLACE THE BATTERIES.
6. Last, Chassis batteries are short burst of energy batteries. They do not take kindly to being slowly depleted and go dead. This kills a Chassis type battery, RV or Automobile. Doug

thank you very much for the detailed reply, this is very helpful

Sir_Traveller
Explorer
Explorer
I just want to add that I have no access to the RV while in storage as I would be out of state that is why I am asking all these questions above ... also, just in case that is a factor , I live in south California , so hot dry weather most of the year. I usually hook the RV between November and May, then leave it in storage from June to October, every year, for the last three years and counting.

Sir_Traveller
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Add solar, or charge once every 30 days while in storage.

When in use--make sure the converter is smart enough to drop to a float voltage. Overcharging is just as bad as undercharging.

I'll be moving to SiO2 batteries next summer as they can tolerate a LOT of abuse.

Get a tric-l-start for the chassis battery.

thank you
I have no access to the RV while in storage as I will be out of state ( I live in south California , so hot dry weather most of the year... if that is a factor )

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sir Traveller wrote:

thank you... what is the best way to routinely place a load on the batteries? disconnecting the RV from the shore power for an hour every week ( for example) will get the job done? or should I disconnect it more or less often than that?

It would be better to unplug for six days and plug in for one day. Or even plug in for two consecutive days once per month.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Sir_Traveller
Explorer
Explorer
If in storage, why do you need the Fridge or microwave to work??

that is only when hooked to shore power of course... my questions are regarding the best ways to keep both batteries charged. and if I disconnect from shore power ( for few minutes a day or few hours a week ) to put a load on the house batteries