cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinion on Truck Reliability

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
I upgraded travel trailer last year and the new trailer weighs approximately 8000lbs. I've been towing with a 2017 3.5l ecoboost. The power has been great....no issues there but I have felt uncomfortable on the highway. The trailer throws the truck around.

3/4 tonne is the answer but I don't have brand new 3/4 tonne kind of money right now.

I am looking at a 2017 Ram Laramie Cummins which I can get after trade for about 20k more. Any insight into this truck. It has 110,000 KM (70,000 miles). Is this truck and engine reliable? It is a well equipped Laramie.

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.
41 REPLIES 41

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
blt2ski wrote:

Yes, my new used chebby looks like a typical chebby????????

Marty

Hey Marty...do you know how to post a pic of said truck?

Jerry

Look on page 3 and 4 of this post.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
blt2ski wrote:

Marty

Hey Marty...do you know how to post a pic of said truck?

Jerry

blt2ski
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Congrats on the new rig

What??? No mentioning that it looks like a "JEWEL" :B

Sorry Ron
Looks like a typical Dog-de!

????????????

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Congrats on the new rig

What??? No mentioning that it looks like a "JEWEL" :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats on the new rig
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
Loving the truck so far. Won't be towing trailer until May timeframe, but I did tow my two place snowmobile trailer last weekend which is about 2000 pounds fully loaded and I couldn't even tell it was there ๐Ÿ™‚

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
mtofell1 wrote:
If budget is an issue you're sure spending a lot of money for a diesel that you don't need to pull around an 8K travel trailer. Of course, all trucks are complicated these days but I think a diesel has more that can go wrong than a gasser.

While you don't need a diesel you REALLY don't need a 3500 for that travel trailer. I understand all the arguments but, for whatever reason, SRW 3500 trucks are pretty hard to find. Also, with Ram the coil spring rear suspension is a noticeable improvement daily driving to the jarring leaf springs in the 3500. This difference is less noticeable with Ford/Chevy where both are leaf springs.

If you're thinking of upgrading your trailer get the diesel and consider a 3500. For the trailer you have now a 2500 gasser is a great truck. The money you save going gas should get you into something newer... maybe even new.

If budget is an issue, then consider, finding out why the current F150 is having stability issues. It should work with that TT unless it is really long.
If you are looking at moving up, then don't think about what you are currently towing, but think ahead to what you might want in three to four years.
You are currently towing with a turbo charged engine, it you go back to a NA gas engine you will notice it.
If you get a newer 3500 SRW your GVWR will range between 11,500# to 12,300#, which will handle a 5er up to about 15,000#.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome looking truck - hook up your camper, then come back and tell us how you really feel!

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I donโ€™t remember touting Anything. Most likely was a cost savings change.

Exactly. CP4 was already well known as being problematic by 2019, yet Ram used them. And all the Dodge boys were like WT F? And all the Chevy guys were like โ€œeven GM is smarter than that and got rid of them 2 years ago!โ€
And all the Ford fans were like โ€œDodge is trying to bee like us now! All they have to do is make it so you need to remove the cab to work on the engine and theyโ€™ll be almost as good as Fords!โ€ LOL
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
rexlion wrote:
Before spending money on a different truck, I'd say to figure out why the current rig is giving you handling problems.

It's an F150 (1/2 ton). That's the problem right there.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I donโ€™t remember touting Anything. Most likely was a cost savings change.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I think in 2019 the Cummins went to a CP4 pump which is hot garbage. However I think they dropped it in 2021 and went back to a CP3 unit, which is what 2018 and earlier had. The 2017 you are looking at would be good to go and a huge step up from your F150.

I have a 2015 with 70,000+ miles on it and I had a water pump failure (which was later recalled) and a back-end NOX sensor failed which I replaced myself (I think the part was about $200 on Amazon). Otherwise it's been a solid truck and I plan to keep it a lot more years.

If you are buying used I would absolutely ignore the 2500 vs SRW 3500 distinction for this vintage Ram. Your used market is limited and they're the same truck from a capability standpoint, maybe with a $200 investment in Timbrens or airbags on the 2500 (and it wouldn't be necessary at all for your current trailer).

Hah, went back to the CP3 huh. I remember them touting that new pump like greatest thing since sliced bread. The CP3 is proven. Going back to it says something about the CP4...

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
HydrogenCyanide wrote:
I think I figured it out. Here she is

https://imgur.com/9Gbm2b3

Congrats, should serve you well!!

Jerry

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful looking truck, OP! You're going to love your next towing experience! :C
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes