Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Opinion on Truck Reliability
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Opinion on Truck Reliability

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
MikeRP

Westerville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/21 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume that’s 21K Canadian? I pay $72 for an oil change, I think $250 maybe a bit more for an oil changes and fuel filters on my 2018. Not sure on the new one but it should be the same.

I agree on prices are high for work. My dealer says run it like you stole it. Problem is with most RVers we aren’t using the truck hard enough.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before spending money on a different truck, I'd say to figure out why the current rig is giving you handling problems.
1. Look at the truck's payload and other ratings, and figure if you are overloaded or not. Have you weighed your trailer tongue when you are loaded for camping?
2. If not overloaded, is the tongue weight inappropriate? It should be 10% to 15% of total trailer weight.
3. If hitch weight is ok, how long is the trailer? And are you using any anti-sway device? If not, trying a WD hitch with built in sway control is much cheaper than another truck.
4. Are you running LT tires or P tires on the truck? If the latter, switching to LT tires with a shorter sidewall could help alleviate the problem.

There may be other things to look at and try besides these, but you get the idea.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If budget is an issue you're sure spending a lot of money for a diesel that you don't need to pull around an 8K travel trailer. Of course, all trucks are complicated these days but I think a diesel has more that can go wrong than a gasser.

While you don't need a diesel you REALLY don't need a 3500 for that travel trailer. I understand all the arguments but, for whatever reason, SRW 3500 trucks are pretty hard to find. Also, with Ram the coil spring rear suspension is a noticeable improvement daily driving to the jarring leaf springs in the 3500. This difference is less noticeable with Ford/Chevy where both are leaf springs.

If you're thinking of upgrading your trailer get the diesel and consider a 3500. For the trailer you have now a 2500 gasser is a great truck. The money you save going gas should get you into something newer... maybe even new.

HydrogenCyanide

Fort Erie

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m leaving now to go drive it. Thanks for everyone’s input. I definitely do not need a 3500 for what I use it for and I have no plans to upgrade in the future.

The part I struggle with is paying $20k more for a truck that is same year and same mileage as existing truck. I do get that I am getting a much more capable truck. The Chevy/GMV around here are impossible to find and usually any extra $15k more than the dodge.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Late to the party.

Since the used truck market is hot right now, I think a decent used trade in plus $20K ought to get you a new sightly more basic 3/4 ton unit.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MikeRP wrote:

They are great trucks, 500,000 miles truck at least. But gives us some more data. Take pics of the GVWR sticker, and the tire sticker (which includes the payload) and give us the data. No doubt it will handle your trailer but also give us the stickers on that, which are unloaded vehicle weight and the GVWR. Also model of trailer.

If you want to future proof yourself, get the same truck but a 3500.

Awesome getting a new truck! Always.

Why the fascination with info that is basically the same across the board. A Ram 2500 has a 10k gvw (if you believe that) and all the crew cab 4wd diesels weigh within about 500lbs of each other.
Aside from the fact that this is debated daily here and has zero relevance to the OPs query.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Very reliable truck but what is it’s payload capacity?

Who ______ing cares??? Not part of the equation nor relevant to the thread.....

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, that truck is one of the most reliable packages on the road. The only downside compared to the other 2 mfgs imo is the trans is behind the times for shift quality and programming/integration. That said it’s a solid bulletproof trans.
If it’s in great condition and verifiably well maintained then don’t hesitate if that’s the truck you want. And with those miles, it hasn’t needed any maintenance aside from a few oil and fuel filter changes. However if it hasn’t had diffs, t case and trans service, it’s time. So figure in that cost into initial maintenance. Brakes should be still very good. If they’re not, truck was driven by an idiot, which is a turnoff.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD and I have virtually the same truck you’re headed to look at. His analysis is spot on IMO.
Like most “men” I believe that part of your motivation is to have a bad @ss truck. Because your current rig does or can handle your trailer virtually flawlessly. That said, your $ your truck and you’ll likely be very impressed even enamored with the new one.
Don’t test drive it unless you’re ready to take the plunge!! Lol
Presume we will be seeing pics of the new whip later today??

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/21 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent point, Boomer.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Opinion on Truck Reliability
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.