Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fiber glassing question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
kartsahd

Altus, Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Carolina Skiff boat that I want to attach a grab bar to the floor. It is about 36' high by 12". I do not want to drill holes into the deck to keep away from water intrusion and I do not think the floor is thick enough to hold. The grab bar has an aluminum base of about 3" by 14". I plan on getting a piece of oak or poplar about that size, putting some bolts through it, making a putty of cab o sil and maybe some mat and gluing the board down with that. Then fiber glassing a few sheets of glass over that. Then I have a nice solid base to bolt to. What I need to know is this a good plan? I looked into just using JB weld or 3m5200 but I do not think it can take the strain. Any ideas? Thanks

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/21 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can certainly glass the board down.... but you might want to try 5200 first. That stuff is really strong .

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeH wrote:

You can certainly glass the board down.... but you might want to try 5200 first. That stuff is really strong .

x2
bumpy

prichardson

Lafayette, La

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a grab bar, your plan is next best compared to thru bolting. I would not trust any adhesive in that application. Make sure the deck is squeaky clean before doing the glass work.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/21 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The simplest way if you are going to use FG it to abrade the area where the grab bar will attach, solvent wipe with acetone, and lay 3 to 4 layers of woven glass over the flange of grab bar over lapping 3-4 ins on the deck itself. An 8 harness satin weave is easier to form around the bar than a square weave. I would use an good epoxy resin with the FG cloth maintaining a 60-40% cloth to resin ratio. If you go with a wood board and an adhesive like 5200 the adhesive wont fail but the wood bond line may if you bang it or put enough load on it. If you bond the board flat to the floor the wood fibers are very weak in that direction. Think how easy it is to split wood in that direction. Cab o sil is good for thickening the resin and works well for making a filet but adds nothing for strength. I would not be afraid of through bolts leaking if sealed with the 5200 or 4200 and would be the strongest solution. I am guessing your hull is at least 1/4 in thick.

* This post was edited 02/06/21 12:20pm by Gjac *

QCMan

Independent Republic of Horry

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you thought of glassing a board to the floor and attaching to that? Seems like the way a boat builder would do it.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If that is for a person to grab on to, the amount of force that is applied at 36" is greatly magnified at the base. How is the base constructed. If it does not have multiple gussets it will fail.

The strongest wood for the job is white oak. Much better than red oak or poplar.

Thickened epoxy works well for attaching the wood to the floor, but start by applying un-thickened epoxy to the bottom of your board. Wait until it starts to cure before attaching to the floor.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

I would not be afraid of through bolts leaking if sealed with the 5200 or 4200 and would be the strongest solution.

Both will leak over time. They really are not meant for below the surface bonding.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/21 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Gjac wrote:

I would not be afraid of through bolts leaking if sealed with the 5200 or 4200 and would be the strongest solution.

Both will leak over time. They really are not meant for below the surface bonding.

Actually they both are rated for below the water line and frequently used for that purpose.

That said, a good epoxy fiberglass job will look better and be stronger. I would steer away from methods that incorporate wood.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

kartsahd

Altus, Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tis is what I plan to do. [image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.