cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuel tank electrolosis rust removal

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
On my 93 Toyota the gas tank is very rusty inside as noted replacing fuel pump. Outside is rust free. There are replacement tanks available but have a litany of poor quality complaints. One person is on their 5th after market replacement tank. There are no new OE tanks available. I can have a tank fabricated for $600, which I am told is a bargain!

So I have been looking at my options and interested in electrolysis. I have looked at many videos and read numerous articles about this and find one part confusing. When treating metal,say a tool, after the rust is removed a wire brush is used to remove the remaining black residue that is left on the metal. When using the process on gas tanks there is no mention of the black residue.

Why no mention of the residue inside tanks????
7 REPLIES 7

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
F

When I got the tank off it was so rusty inside (outside looked good) That I was unsure if it was salvageable. I thought it was ok, but not sure. Asked at the local NAPA who redid tanks and they recommended a AC/radiator place in Cape Coral. Took it there and they assured me the tank was worth saving, chemically cleaned and lined inside of tank for $245. They had the tank for 10 days.

I am 73 with a bad back, hip and shoulder, the idea of doing the tank myself quickly lost its luster. I did remove and replace the tank myself.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Darcie123
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure it's worth a shot. Did it work out? I usually let everything in the hands of professionals, but I agree that sometimes it's worth a shot to do it by yourself. I had some issues with a really awful increase in the gas consumption on my rav4 and when I had it looked at and checked, the mechanic said there was this big issue, I don't even remember exactly what he tried to sell me, but I know it was super expensive and definitely not worth it for a 2001 model. Either way, I went home and did some more research and actually discovered in the end that I just needed a ***Link Removed*** and the car was running just as new.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the responses. The sump has 2 small channels under it, which I assume it to keep fuel from rapidly leaving the sump. I believe I can clean the channels with compressed air before the tank sealer sets??

There is a 1/4" line exiting the tank which I believe goes to the charcoal canister, inside the tank it is connected to an odd thingy. What is it, will tank sealer plug it? I do not have large hands but I cannot reach it.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I've done motorcycle tanks using POR-15. It's a bit of work but I see they also have an auto/truck kit.

https://www.por15.com/por-15-fuel-tank-repair-kit
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
U can have a radiator shop clean & coat your fuel tank or ifโ€™s youโ€™re inclined you can get โ€œ gas tank coating โ€œ on Amazon or elsewhere. I urge you to clean your tank TWICE according to the instructions! If you donโ€™t get the tank completely cleaned & completely dry before you coat your tank the coating can come off and you will have a major headache.... I used to clean fuel tanks for a living.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
You might give this a try. It worked well for me on a 1986 Dolphin/Toyota Class C fuel tank some years ago.

Gold Standard Tank Sealer
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate