cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Jacks Lubricant

gb76087
Explorer
Explorer
What is everyone using to lube their electric jacks? Mine tend to bind/stick after sitting for a couple of months.
2007 Fleeteood TERRA LX 34N
F53, 362hp V10
9 REPLIES 9

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
dcmac214 wrote:
NO! Not WD-40! 1st it's not a lubricant. More important, it'll dry and turn sticky in the process, collecting dust, dirt and whatever, leaving you with a mess to clean off. My go-to is dry silicone spray.

You're right about WD-40, which is always among the recommendations each time this subject comes up. The "WD" in WD-40 stands for "water displacement"; it was never intended as a lubricant, although it's widely MIS-used for that.

Not to hi-jack the OP's thread, but our coach has HWH hydraulic jacks installed from the factory, and HWH's position on lubricating their jacks is "DON'T". Just keep 'em clean. Any build-up of any kind of lubricant on the moving parts of the jacks is a dirt-magnet, and the grit on the jacks can destroy the seals over time. HWH says if jacks need repeated lubrication to get them to retract, there's likely to be a problem somewhere - weak retraction springs, etc.
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

gb76087
Explorer
Explorer
My brake is bad on left rear jack. I did a google search on 3010001428(brake kit) and didn't get any hits. Anybody know of a source for a replacement?
2007 Fleeteood TERRA LX 34N
F53, 362hp V10

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Dry silicone is what BigFoot Levelers recommends. I spray the jacks with the silicone and wipe them clean and respray again with a light film and leave it like that.

Bruce_Brown
I think most of you guys are talking about hydraulic jacks. The OP was asking about electric jacks. Big difference.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
C20 wrote:
Wipe them down with Windex and the spray them with WD40 about once a year and they will work perfect

NO! Not WD-40! 1st it's not a lubricant. More important, it'll dry and turn sticky in the process, collecting dust, dirt and whatever, leaving you with a mess to clean off. My go-to is dry silicone spray.

C20
Explorer
Explorer
Wipe them down with Windex and the spray them with WD40 about once a year and they will work perfect
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have cylinder like pistons use silicone spray.

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
I have electric jacks on my 2007 Discovery and they were nothing but trouble.The problem was the brakes we getting corroded on the jacks. Power gear had a updated seal kit which I installed. After installing the seal kit and cycling the jack every 30 days I have zero problems.

Bruce_Brown
Based on the year I assume they're Atwood Level Legs? If so, there really isn't much you can do without disassembling them. The gearsets are grease lubed, as is the screw part, to some degree.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910