cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuel mileage

Harrydavidson
Explorer
Explorer
We where in the market to buy a class A diesel pusher within the next 6 mos. But with the new leadership in DC I’m afraid of the fuel cost going nuts. Therefore we have been thinking about buying a new DIESEL1 ton DRW pickup and going the 5th Wh route.
Curious as to what’s the typical fuel mileage pulling a 5er with a diesel pickup.
PS. Anyone have experience on towing a tag V 5er with the same vehicle and comparing mileage?
93 REPLIES 93

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did a 300 mile highway, round trip yesterday with maybe 5% city driving mixed in. The truck did a regen during the trip and I drove about 70 mph when on the highway. Very little wind and flat ground. I averaged 19.2 mpg (US).
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

justme
Explorer
Explorer
When people post the fuel miles, they should include speed, wind, weight, elevation, type of roads, fuel type and etc. to get a better idea of their experience. Remember, friction increase by the square of the speed which makes speed and winds more important as well as weight.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"What is your typical mileage at say 65 mph on a calm day?
Is your Ram mileage meter accurate?
Can you change a calibration constant within the DIC to increase the accuracy of the Ram meter?"

That was my 2011 RAM HO pulling a Mobile Suites at 29k combined with 3.42 gears.

I normally towed at 62 with that ruck and would "AVERAGE" West Coast 9.5mpg.

It was fairly accurate at lower mileage and be off plus by .4 mpg at 9.5.

No adjustments possible.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I completed my first trip towing a tandem dually gooseneck with my 2021 F350. 1100 km round trip. Got about 12 mpg one way with the deck empty and 6.9 mpg loaded coming back. (US gallons)

Hope you had a headwind and running 70 to get 6.9.

There was a stretch where I had a bit of a wind coming at me at about a 45 degree angle .... I was getting just over 5 mpg then. Thankfully most of the trip didn't have much wind. Probably averaged about 65 mph.

Yea wind does matter! I was Westbound on Hwy 40 trying to get the HE!! outa OK as it was COLD with a 40mph head wind. One point my fuel economy was 5mpg.

What is your typical mileage at say 65 mph on a calm day?
Is your Ram mileage meter accurate?
Can you change a calibration constant within the DIC to increase the accuracy of the Ram meter?
B&W Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I completed my first trip towing a tandem dually gooseneck with my 2021 F350. 1100 km round trip. Got about 12 mpg one way with the deck empty and 6.9 mpg loaded coming back. (US gallons)

There was a stretch where I had a bit of a wind coming at me at about a 45 degree angle .... I was getting just over 5 mpg then. Thankfully most of the trip didn't have much wind. Probably averaged about 65 mph.

Yea wind does matter! I was Westbound on Hwy 40 trying to get the HE!! outa OK as it was COLD with a 40mph head wind. One point my fuel economy was 5mpg.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

B&W Companion

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Exactly. My mileage and power all dropped coming home from FL. Guess you would just deal with it and drive on with fuel prices escalating? Took it in and it was more than just the filters. $160 fixed it though.

When I was on the road towing for a living we watched our mpg every tank. Every truck had a clip board and a pencil on a string for figuring mpgs/other needs. This was years before the computer in trucks.

Today I watch mostly EGTs and boost levels on the Cummins/ Westach but still check every other tank mpgs.

My vehicles fuel mpgs is important to me....for several reasons already talked about.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Exactly. My mileage and power all dropped coming home from FL. Guess you would just deal with it and drive on with fuel prices escalating? Took it in and it was more than just the filters. $160 fixed it though.

Exactly what?
Traveling from a warm state to where winter fuel is sold, one can expect a drop in mileage.
What did you buy for $160? "Took it in" means what or where?

Exactly. 🙂
B&W Companion

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:

Exactly what?
Traveling from a warm state to where winter fuel is sold, one can expect a drop in mileage.
What did you buy for $160? "Took it in" means what or where?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
B&W Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelle.S wrote:
I don't fret over my MPG, but I do monitor it because a sudden drop can indicate a problem that might be resolved before becoming something serious.

My guess is if you are concerned about fuel economy for the reason you say, it will more likely cost you money than save you. It’s very unlikely that you will ever have anything serious go wrong with your engine. The chance of something happening to it that will cause the mileage to drop off significantly before causing something serious to happen is almost zero. The chance of seeing your mileage vary on the other hand is not that unlikely. So what are you going to do if suddenly your mileage drops 15% and you can’t come up with an explanation? Bring it to the dealer so they can change your air and fuel filters, tell you everything checks out and charge you $500.
B&W Companion

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't fret over my MPG, but I do monitor it because a sudden drop can indicate a problem that might be resolved before becoming something serious.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint