cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mega Cam Ram 3500 and towing fifth wheel

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about getting a Ram and trying to decide if the 3500 mega cab is a good choice for towing a fifth wheel. By my measurements my 2017 F350 and the dodge mega cab have within 1/2 inch or identical distance from the back of the cab to the goose neck ball.

It would appear the Mega cab will work... my new to me 5ver is 14500 empty and also want to know the difference between the 3500 and 2500 ram. Is it the springs... axel size what is the difference.

Thoughts are welcome....I don't regret getting the f350 .. but never had a F250 so hard to tell..

Thanks for input.
2017 Ford 350 SRW
Grand Design Solitude 375RES
may switch to a Ram
29 REPLIES 29

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
What is the wheelbase on a MC and LB Quad Cab?

The MC being 11.1 inches shorter then yours , I would imagine there can't be much difference in the quad cab. I didn't think they even made the quad anymore, I'll have to look .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:

The big deciding factor for me was the CC long box DRW was too long to fit in my garage where the Megacab DRW does. I don't like it sitting outside in the weather!

I don't have that problem , my garage is deep enough for either . Checking lengths the megacab is 11.1" shorter then the long bed crew cab . The crew cab short bed is 10.9 inches shorter then the megacab . The difference between the long ,and short bed crew cabs is 20"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the wheelbase on a MC and LB Quad Cab?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
blofgren wrote:
The Megacab DRW is a sweet truck; we love ours!

As said you have the best of two worlds , DRW if needed ,and a "SHORT BED" which many prefer. I started out with towing a fifth wheel with a short bed ,when it was time for a new truck ,the choice was still a short bed , and if I would have needed DRW ,then it would have been the Megacab.

I am sure , you are like many ,you don't want a long bed , if you did you would have one .

The big deciding factor for me was the CC long box DRW was too long to fit in my garage where the Megacab DRW does. I don't like it sitting outside in the weather!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:

As said you have the best of two worlds , DRW if needed ,and a "SHORT BED" which many prefer. I started out with towing a fifth wheel with a short bed ,when it was time for a new truck ,the choice was still a short bed , and if I would have needed DRW ,then it would have been the Megacab.

I am sure , you are like many ,you don't want a long bed , if you did you would have one .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I don't have to worry about any clearance issues....CHECK

I have a DRW.....CHECK

I have lots of back seat space.....CHECK

I have room for a 30" front to back toolbox and plenty of other room.....CHECK

How is this possible??? Simple, I have a LongBed.....CHECK :B

Do you have the Megacab, converted to a long bed 🙂 That is the subject here ,towing with a Megacab, nothing mentioned about a long bed that I read . I think by now if someone is after a long bed ,they would certainly get one, its not like they don't have a choice here. I have had several long beds over the years . I don't want one ,don't need one , don't like them ,and will NEVER own another long bed . I suspect many feel the same way, or they wouldn't get a short bed ,we all would be driving long beds .

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Njmurvin wrote:
With the Andersen, if you try to max out the offset from the cab (both hitch and adapter locations) you need to confirm you have clearance from the back of your pinbox to the sides and tailgate. You can gain over 9" clearance if the back of your pinbox won't make contact with the sides on extreme turns or tailgate when driving straight. In the Andersen installation instructions, they take you through some some measurements to determine if you're going to clear. I have a pretty short pinbox that allows me the maximum offset.

It cleared just fine with my 2014 Ram 3500 , with my Montana fifth wheel hitch to rearward position as well as the adapter , with this new fifth wheel it was further from my cab, with the pin box being a bit further out, so I turned the adapter around ,putting it 8" closer to the cab. Turning the adapter is an 8" swing each way . The hole in the adapter to mount to the kingpin, and the hole that goes on the ball has a 4" center .

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
With the Andersen, if you try to max out the offset from the cab (both hitch and adapter locations) you need to confirm you have clearance from the back of your pinbox to the sides and tailgate. You can gain over 9" clearance if the back of your pinbox won't make contact with the sides on extreme turns or tailgate when driving straight. In the Andersen installation instructions, they take you through some some measurements to determine if you're going to clear. I have a pretty short pinbox that allows me the maximum offset.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't have to worry about any clearance issues....CHECK

I have a DRW.....CHECK

I have lots of back seat space.....CHECK

I have room for a 30" front to back toolbox and plenty of other room.....CHECK

How is this possible??? Simple, I have a LongBed.....CHECK :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
I assume you (OP) ... hmmm, was the OP the one who said they're towing with the Andersen? If so, then I'll continue - I assume you know that the Andersen gives you 4 distinct offsets from cab to 5er, depending on your positioning of the Andersen base and kingpin block ... I've posted them elsewhere on this forum and can't recall exactly where. But, you can get those measurements off the Andersen site as well.

Of course a lot depends on the corners of the fifth wheel, but the newer ones as said are pretty rounded ,and also the placement of the pin box, some are further out then others.

He's towing with the Andersen ,pretty sure he's aware that he has those four positions. I actually run the adapter putting the fifth wheel closer to my cab ,and the hitch in rearward position. With where my pin box is positioned ,and the rounded corners ,no issues with clearance, no I can't get 90 degrees nor do I want too. Wouldn't back that tight if I could.

You are saying getting measurements from Andersen, they are certainly a reference , but as said other factors determine the clearance. I had to run my previous fifth wheel with the adapter putting the fifth wheel further from the cab, pretty simple the difference in the corners of the fifth wheel, and the placement of the pin box.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you (OP) ... hmmm, was the OP the one who said they're towing with the Andersen? If so, then I'll continue - I assume you know that the Andersen gives you 4 distinct offsets from cab to 5er, depending on your positioning of the Andersen base and kingpin block ... I've posted them elsewhere on this forum and can't recall exactly where. But, you can get those measurements off the Andersen site as well.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Ya'll are talking about 37" or so to the back window. Typical 5er is 8 foot wide, so half of that is 48" so the trailer will impact the cab before it is turned a full 90 degrees. Our trailer is 100" wide so, half og that is 50".

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The numbers that I remember from a while back, not current models, are Ram 6.4 bed 38 inches, Ford 6.9 bed 41 inches, and GM 6.5 bed at 43 inches, axle center to cab rear. A few extra inches makes quite a difference.

I do think I could be at 38"s with my FW, and still not have much worry.

Jerry