Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV roof sealing project

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
RV roof sealing project

I finally got around to my RV roof sealing project. This is for a 2015 Thor Majestic 28a (Cruise America purchase). The roof itself didn’t really seem like it needed to be resealed, but all the vents and seams in front, back, and the sides were starting to have some cracking. I actually had several gallons of Dicor Roof Sealant (and the Step 1 agitator) so I decided to do the complete job. I’m also planning on putting up some solar panels on this RV soon, so I figured now was a good time to redo the roof so that I wouldn’t need to worry about it for a very long time (and would likely never need to remove the solar panels later).

Note: The small solar panel on top of the AC is a trickle charger, but it is disconnected. I'll be adding 500w soon.

Here are some “before” pictures…

I started with Step 1 in the Dicor process…the cleaner/agitator. I thought this was going to be a PITA to do properly (taping off and plastic around the entire RV), but it ended up not being too bad. I actually did this at a local self-serve car wash with their high pressure sprayer. Took me about 2 hours to complete.

The cleaner/agitator and the pressure washer did a great job.

There were a few days in between cleaning/agitating and when I could actually apply the roof sealant, but the RV was covered during that time. When I finally had time (and the weather cooperated), I taped off the edges of the RV and got started. I called and spoke with someone at Dicor to ask if I should first use lap sealant to cover the cracks. They told me that the roof coating will fill in all the cracks nicely (it is kind of like a thick paint) and if the final result looked good then no additional lap sealant would be needed.

I first put a thick coat around all the edges and existing Dicor on the vents/etc.

Then I applied the Dicor to the entire roof with a roller. I let it dry to the touch (about 1.5 hours) and then I put on a 2nd coat, and then eventually a 3rd coat. In the end, it came out really nicely and I feel completely confident that the cracks are 100% sealed and my roof is good to go. Here are some “after” pics.

I was trying to lay it on pretty thick, but the total job only used 2 gallons of roof sealant. I even had a little left over so I touched up all my vents/etc on another RV that I have with one coat just for extra protection.

There is something strangely satisfying to have a “new” white, clean roof. It will make installing the solar more enjoyable too.

Happy RVing!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs
4 REPLIES 4

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Well done! You’ll like solar too. Hardest part is the wiring. Go big on wire size.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Proper preparation (cleaning) is ALWAYS required for a long lasting result !

Good job !!

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I did exactly the same thing and my roof wasn't as bad as yours but was tan. Tan held more heat than white. How did I know? We just bought the fver and hadn't sold the TT. The TT was coated with Dicor and I was freshening it up for the sale. Climbing up the ladder on the fver tan roof was noticeably hotter than the white roof of the TT. We dry camp as such do not use AC so anyway to cut the heat down was paramount. I used the Dicor Cool Beads coating. When done inside was a full 15 degrees cooler than before. We also use HVAC insulation in the windows. Bought a roll at home t and cut to fit. Just install on sunny side and take down when the sun passes. Big difference and a good product.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent article. :C