cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Existing air line for RV braking system

rvroamerrandy
Explorer
Explorer
Any help on locating an existing RV brake on my coach? I have an air line connection at the rear of my coach but unable to figure out the manufacturer and location of this system. I know it here just cant find it.

2011 Class A Journey 40U
Randy
15 REPLIES 15

rvroamerrandy
Explorer
Explorer
I will take a look and see if I can figure out what size fitting it requires and I will try and locate it on Amazon.

Thanks,
Randy

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might also want to consider using DOT approved air lines. While I'm aware that some use whatever hose, clamps and fittings this could be a libiality issue.

Also be aware that the Air Force 1 controller requires 3 lines. One is a supply line that fills the aux air tank. The second is the metered brake line that controls a valve to release the aux air tank air to the third line to the towed vehicle. This setup is required to meet federal guidelines.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
rvroamerrandy wrote:
That's great advice. I appreciate that. I will work on getting the air fitting along with the gauge. Keep you posted.
Lets assume it is connected to aux brake, back in the past (2011, 2012)I was told it might just be an connection to a brake line without any additional systems on it (smi, Roadmaster etc.?) can this be true? Because I am having a heck of a time locating any systems down there?
Those "hard to find" air fitting might be DOT approved and Amazon has some.

Of course it might be a direct line to the brake system. Plus installed by the mfg gives the salesman bragging rights about the RV being set up for air brakes for the trailer or toad. Seems unlikely to me that they would install a SMI controller for example with the additional cost when they have no idea what the owner would want if any - an argument you could also apply to just an air line.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

rvroamerrandy
Explorer
Explorer
That's great advice. I appreciate that. I will work on getting the air fitting along with the gauge. Keep you posted.
Lets assume it is connected to aux brake, back in the past (2011, 2012)I was told it might just be an connection to a brake line without any additional systems on it (smi, Roadmaster etc.?) can this be true? Because I am having a heck of a time locating any systems down there?

Thanks again for your great advice!

Randy
2011 Winnebago Journey 40U
2016 Jeep

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
Make up an air gauge screwed to a male disconnect. Put it in the fitting. If it is a aux brake system line it will not have pressure. Now press the brakes and see if you register pressure. You should see anywhere crom 30 to 90 psi depending on how firm your helper presses the pedal.

If you get pressure without pressing the brake pedal it is NOT an auxialliary brake line.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I was not able to find the correct fitting locally for the slightly used air brake system that I bought from a friend who no longer had the Motorhome!

I just had a standard air chuck installed on the rear of my coach which is tied into the coaches braking system.

I made up a new coach to toad connection hose using the right ends to adapt !

It has worked fine for the last five years and we travel 8 to 10 thousand each year!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
You need a modulated air supply and should probably contact the chassis manufacturer for guidance.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The connection to the air brake line is generic and not specific to the braking system. M&G, Air Force 1 or Blue Ox versions of air brake system will all be able to use your existing connection.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
If you know what a regular air hose coupler looks like, the thing you would use
to couple an air impact wrench to. My Brake Master coupler on the coach
is about half that size. I think other systems use the same coupler, even if
it is different it will be easy to change.

rvroamerrandy
Explorer
Explorer
well I sure appreciate all of your help and responses. Again, I can see the air line but since I am in the market for a new system I was thinking about going with SMI Air Force 1. I hope this will make that install that much easier. I am towing a 2020 Chevy Trail Boss and I want to make sure I have done everything I can to protect my Investment!

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
The ones I have seen are pretty generic just a small air coupling not special
for any particular brake system.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
It'l probably be SMI , M&G or Roadmaster. Hunt for a tank/compressor.
-jbh-

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There isn't too many air brake units. This is one,
SMI Brake
Would connect near the rear brakes for connection

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rvroamerrandy
Explorer
Explorer
I will set the jacks and start looking around. I appreciate your advice. Keep you posted