cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

taking your RV on a boat down the Mississipi to New Orleans

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Need information and names of boat companies that will take your RV on a barge/boat down the Mississipi River down to new orleans.
9 REPLIES 9

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
If they were letting more than six people per barge travel that way, they would be afoul of Coast Guard regs.
Vessels having more than six passengers are required to meet a long list of additional regs. This is why small fishing charters are always advertised for 6 or fewer.

This is the real issue. Up to 6 passengers, it's the most basic captains license required and the vessel doesn't have to be inspected. Helps keep the cost down for someone setting up a charter business.

Above that a host of rules come into play that would be difficult to impossible meet on a typical barge.

I was following a blog a few years back where they took a Class C on the Amazon via a barge (part of driving the Pan American Highway). They diverted to Manaus and then to a barge down to Belem. Of course, the rules there were much more loosey goosey.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
The reason they shut that down was the thought of a large RV loaded with Ammonium Nitrate/Fuel Oil exploding under a major bridge. Think of the Oklahoma City bombing.

DW and I were visiting New Orleans in 1998 (before we had an RV) and saw a barge loaded with RVs. After buying our first RV in 2007, we decided to do that barge thing. We discovered that it was no longer available.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always wanted to do that and the RV canyon train trip thru Mexico. Both shut down before I retired.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
There are tons of barges and tow boats in this area that could be used for this purpose. Liability issues and regulations is what brought this business to It's knees. Since we have plenty of car and truck ferries it is not impossible to overcome the so called 6 person limit. By the time the total investment was made few if any wanted to pay the bill. Tow boats have to sTay busy to make money.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If they were letting more than six people per barge travel that way, they would be afoul of Coast Guard regs.
Vessels having more than six passengers are required to meet a long list of additional regs. This is why small fishing charters are always advertised for 6 or fewer.
Additionally, most barges with a solid (non opening) upper deck are bulk liquid carriers, The most common bulk liquid?
Oil, or petroleum products with another set of regs including no open flames or sources of ignition.
There are some used for non petroleum liquids, molasses, and soybean oil as an example, but even then you still have the 6 passenger max issue.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sounds fun! And very befitting post for someone with the handle Mark Twain.
I believe regs prohibit it. Weโ€™ve ferried with a RV and itโ€™s strictly no acess to the RV and all systems shut down. Safety hazard of potentially someoneโ€™s ill maintained or rigged systems burning the ship down.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I saw it one time years ago on the Tennessee River when I was a boater. When we switched to an RV, I looked for info in it, and it seems they have all shut down, rumor has it the Coast Guard added some regulations and made it to difficult to make money.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
The US Coast Guard shut them down in late 90's or very early 2000's.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
That might be fun !
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD