Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 6 liter V8 Chevy Vortec question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> 6 liter V8 Chevy Vortec question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
obie311

Aux Arcs

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm considering downsizing from a 8 ton GVWR 35' 4 season 5'er and a Duramax crewcab dually to a Forest River Sunseeker LE 2250SLE w/6 liter V8 Chevy Vortec for a number of reasons.

I have rented a 32' Class C previously with a Ford V10 in it and absolutely hated it. It was gutless, sounded like it was going to blow up in Haul mode going up grades, and got 6-8 mpg on average.

I love gas Chevy V8's but is that enough engine and torque to propel this Class C to my standards. My 5'er is not fast but the rig will pull the load with decent (usually) fuel consumption (8-10 mpg).

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on what your standards are.I have owned A Ford V-10 and found it to be strong, reliable and averaged 8.5 MPG over a 40K mile period. Sure it howls when pulling a

grade but when the fan kicks on when my Duramax is pulling a grade I tend to look for low flying aircraft because that what it sounds like. I doubt the Chevy is going to get

any better mileage than the Ford and a few miles per gallon isn't worth my time however they are both very reliable and easy to maintain. Motorhomes are fuel consumers.

Some run to the MB models for fuel savings only to end up with a sad face come maintenance /repair time.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure how this compares, but I pull an 8k lb travel trailer with one. Get used to it turning 3k rpms regularly. The power on mine comes in around 2500,2800 rpms, and pulls to 5000rpms. The slightest grade and it will downshift. We pulled into a headwind for like 8hrs, in 3rd gear at 3200rpms and it did not complain.
It is an incredibly reliable engine. I've got 250k miles, and it has been troublefree.
Hopefull some of this is helpfull to your situation.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to a dealer and take one for a text drive. I don't think you should expect it to perform better than the Ford but it might sound different.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/21 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you can see in my signature I own a RV on a Chevy Chassis

Looking at the specs on the Forest River Sunseeker LE 2250SLE that you mentioned it looks like they are pretty much the same as mine.With the GCWR being a bit more,meaning you can carry more than mine.

Fully loaded with all food and supplies, water,for a 2 week trip,I take a lot of stuff along, I am still way under the GVWR.

During my search for this RV I drove more than a dozen others, all on Ford Chassis they were all as you described,gutless and I thought they were going to blow up.The ride on a Ford was harsh and I noticed that the one on a Chevy Chassis was much more smooth and comfortable and a lot quieter.

When I drove the same one built on a Chevy Chassis I was impressed with how quiet it was under acceleration and the response was quick.

Over the years I have had it the fuel mileage has been between 9.2 and 9.7 depending on wind and terrain,with the newer transmission I would think mileage would be better.

Also my RV is a Former Rental and now has over 118000 miles on it,there was a small leak in the transmission tail shaft seal that was replaced at the 100000 mile checkup,other than that it has performed well and been trouble free.

I looked at and drove the Sunseeker LE 2250 at a RV show and if I were in the market for a new one,this would be it.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran a 2004 6.0 gasser with a tc all loaded was approx 10,700 and had zero issues hauling up hills and that was a 4 spd tranny. The newer 6.0 has more hp, more tranny gears and a 4.56 rear.
I towed 2500# utility trailer and that was fine too. Expect it to rev high going up steep grades, that 6.0 is built to scream, you wont hurt it.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My sister bought that same coach but on the Ford chassis, because they offer it on the E450. So it effectively doubles the carrying capacity vs the Chevy 3500. At the time none were built on the Chevy 4500.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

MDKMDK

Lockdown Gulag

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

Depends on what your standards are.I have owned A Ford V-10 and found it to be strong, reliable and averaged 8.5 MPG over a 40K mile period. Sure it howls when pulling a

grade but when the fan kicks on when my Duramax is pulling a grade I tend to look for low flying aircraft because that what it sounds like. I doubt the Chevy is going to get

any better mileage than the Ford and a few miles per gallon isn't worth my time however they are both very reliable and easy to maintain. Motorhomes are fuel consumers.

Some run to the MB models for fuel savings only to end up with a sad face come maintenance /repair time.

Nothing but miles of smiles in my 15mpg diesel Navion. [emoticon]

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK smiles & miles only till you need normal service or repairs. It is great you love it.

All I know is my 2013 4500 chassis with its long wheelbase and a 6.0 engine is a great driving rig that is all stock. Great ride and the best wind handling class C I have had. My first class C was on a F350 chassis V10. I won’t go there for this discussion.

I have to listen for downshifts. I can get my size 13 shoes past the dog house with no problem. My only issue is the 4500 chassis is several inches taller. So being an old geezer I have to have to put out a step to comfortably get into the rig.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 4500 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You only need one step? Gee lol

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> 6 liter V8 Chevy Vortec question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.