Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Windows 10 Laptop Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Windows 10 Laptop Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
hypoxia

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/21 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks like the RAID 1 will do what I need. The laptop has Thunderbolt 3 /USB C 3.2. A two drive enclosure would be convenient. I'll have to do some more reading about NAS and RAID, you have me pointed in the right direction.

Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then I would look at the Thunderbolt RAID 1 enclosure if you want to build your own. Fairly straightforward.

ralphnjoann

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/21 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of these times when the computer doesn't recognize it, go into Disk Management and make sure it has a drive letter assigned. Solved my problem.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ralphnjoann wrote:

One of these times when the computer doesn't recognize it, go into Disk Management and make sure it has a drive letter assigned. Solved my problem.

NEVER assign a removable "drive" a drive letter..

Forcing drive letters can get tricky especially if you assign two different removable devices with same letter and insert both at the same time..

Always best to allow OS dynamically assign a letter to removable drives..

Generally if a removable drive does not show up with a letter, the drive is either unreadable (corrupt) for some reason or OS is busy doing higher priority items and all you have to do is wait a couple of minutes..

As always if a USB drive or SD card fails to work, try it in a different port, different PC, different reader..

Sometimes OS may want to you to FORMAT the drive if it thinks it is corrupt.. try it in a different PC before doing that, formating erases your data making it difficult to impossible to retrieve..

I have also run into the dirty dismount issues, especially on USB drives were folks just pull them out of the port.. OS will insist on "fixing" the errors due to improper drive removal.. Always use the eject for USB drives.

SD cards, especially the built in readers, you do not need to or want to eject the card in the OS, ejecting in this case removes the reader and the only way to get the reader back on internal built in ones is a reboot..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Windows 10 Laptop Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.