Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Leaving Illinois, going full time.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Leaving Illinois, going full time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Moving-on

mobile

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/21 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks! Very helpful. The plan was to use tx. I hadn't thought about inspections, since we don't have them here. And no Medicare. We're mid 40s

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/21 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then look hard at Escapees, mail forwarding, domicile change assistance, membership gets discounts at some campgrounds including some they own.

Moving-on

mobile

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/21 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife found one near porter,/humble but I don't know the name. I'll have to ask her about it. They offered mail forwarding, and help setting up a domicile.

Yep, escapees was it..

* This post was edited 02/09/21 07:28pm by Moving-on *

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/21 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FL is much less expensive to register your vehicles and no inspections are required. We chose TX before FL was available but should likely move to FL for the savings. You do not have to pay the FL sales tax to register it in FL if you have owned it for more than 6 months. Of course, no State sales tax and I believe they have removed the personal tax on savings (or something) as I have not checked in years.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wiskeyVI

All Over

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in the same type of area her in S.Illinois. We plan on spending winters in AZ or TX...Hopefully next winter now,,,,

Moving-on

mobile

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We may not be too far apart..

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do have a couple of cautionary financial notes:

First of all make sure that you will not have to pay capital gains on the sales profit on your home. I don't know what the limit is in your state, but in some it's lower than the Federal limit. The Federal limit is $500k profit on a couple.

Without the RV option, you would immediately be re-investing your home $$ in another home. At some point, you will be past RVing and want a traditional home. But if you have spent a big whack of your home profits, you won't have $$ on hand to buy another one. You also can't sink those profits into a RV/truck combo, because those are DEPRECIATING assets. The smart thing is to invest most of your home sale funds in something fairly conservative, but with some growth, so you will be able to keep up with home prices and buy one when you need it. Something like a conservative growth mutual fund is a good option. I've read of a few people being caught with nowhere to go and it's not pretty.

Another big consideration is medical insurance. It's not trivial. One option is a health-share ministry, the drawback being that it won't cover pre-existing conditions for a year.

Sounds like you have a great plan and ability to earn a living almost anywhere you go.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 01:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moving-on wrote:

Folks. Please, I didn't come here to talk about what I could have done differently.

You came to the wrong place then LOL.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

your experience is exactly the one I didn't want to live... so, we sold B&M before heading out for weeks on end.

Our landing base is a park model in a campground in the middle of nowhere, with security and a gate. Perfect solution, no, but it beats where the house was located. I can travel and be secure in knowing our stuff is relatively safe.

Rice

Wandering

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/21 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

South Dakota does have one odd positive, no annual inspection on your truck emmissions or otherwise, Texas will allow you 30 days after returning to the state before its required.

If you self-certify that your vehicle is out of state when you renew the registration, you have 3 days, not 30 days, to get it inspected after returning to the state.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Leaving Illinois, going full time.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.