Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Leaving Illinois, going full time.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Leaving Illinois, going full time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Moving-on

mobile

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all, new member here. My wife and I have had an interesting year. Its a long story, but the point is after being burglarized and loosing alot of possessions we decided there was no time like now to just finish what the thieves started, finish selling things, and hit the road. We already had a flagstaff 8528ikws 5th wheel, which we spent 2 months in instead of going home. That ended Christmas morning on the second day of 8 degrees. Our fresh water line from the tank to the pump finally froze up, forcing us to go back home. While there was some discomfort, it was nice to go that cold while not on the road. We learned a lot about what the rig can take. We have family in TX, and soon Wyoming. Both are rural with water/power/sewer. And friends in illinois with the same. I'm winding down on selling whats left, and the house will go next. Then we plan to travel between the family locations, and sight see in between. We'll have a bit of a cusion after the sale of our "dream home", and plan to work, as is needed and convenient along the way. We can stay "free" at either location for as long as needed to recoup. I'm up for advice, well wishes, and somebody looking for a beautiful house in rural illinois. I have future plans for solar (I'm an electrician), and a mini split. But think I'm going to leave well enough alone for now. With maybe just a battery upgrade and a decent inverter. Fire away..

* This post was edited 02/08/21 03:44pm by Moving-on *

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're selling your house and going full time because of being burglarized and losing a lot of possessions?
But, you want someone to buy your house?
That's not a very good sales pitch. [emoticon]

Have fun and enjoy your travels.

Moving-on

mobile

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a standing offer for considerably more than I gave for it. And I believe its a bit low. It was a feeble attempt at humor. We have the humble distinction of being the only people to have been burglarized 3 times in the same week. Once these guys saw what was here, they just couldn't stay away. It was kind of a perfect storm, since we live so far from anyone that there is no way to keep an eye on the place. I had cameras, but due to poor internet, I didn't have it connected and had hoped to just use them as a deterrent. Worked great, right up till it didn't. They stole my entire security dvr. A mistake I won't repeat. It's generally a very low crime area.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was just pulling your chain. It wasn't a personal attack. [emoticon]
Seriously, enjoy your travels.

Moving-on

mobile

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. I'm sure that it wasn't. But I'll admit it's a slightly touchy nerve.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/21 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would visit those relatives in the warmer months of the year and spend winters in areas that are a lot warmer in the Winter. You have an Rv, travel, and enjoy it.

Moving-on

mobile

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is the idea. I've spent my life working out in the hot and cold. I'm ready to get away from that for awhile. Summers in Wyoming, winters in Texas. And I want to see the southwest,and a few other places. Somewhere along the way I hope to find a semi permanent home.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

You're selling your house and going full time because of being burglarized and losing a lot of possessions?
But, you want someone to buy your house?
That's not a very good sales pitch. [emoticon]

Have fun and enjoy your travels.

Have you considered a good home security system that is connected to your local police dept. and a comprehensive home insurance policy?

Moving-on

mobile

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Folks. Please, I didn't come here to talk about what I could have done differently. I came to talk about full time rv living.
But to humor you, were I live is so rural, there are no land line phones, only sketchy cell service. And the local pd is 4-5 guys spread over 3-4 shifts based 30 miles away from my house. There are things that I could have done, but they would have been far above and beyond the local norm. And that's about all I have ever to say about that.

* This post was edited 02/08/21 07:27pm by Moving-on *

Moving-on

mobile

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And I have excellent insurance.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Leaving Illinois, going full time.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.