cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I69 to 288 Houston

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Going to Freeport Tx area in March. We usually go Bolivar /Crystal Beach so we avoid Houston. We live North of Tyler.
Trip Planner shows shortest way for me is to come thru Houston on I69 then go 288. Is this no big deal on a Saturday or should I cut over to 45 and go Madisonville to Navasota then down to Sealy on to Freeport ? This adds about 2 1/2 hrs
7 REPLIES 7

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
We've been going to the Med Center often here lately. Since the 288 toll road construction seems complete, the traffic has gotten much better. We usually hit it anywhere from 6am to 8am and again mid day going home. In the past I have even gotten off the freeway and driven through downtown.
I would just go for it. You have just as much a chance of getting in a jam on 59/69 inbound. You only have to move over 1 lane to the left around George Brown Convention Center then take the 288 exit.
But I've driven in Houston traffic since I got my license...1965.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Explorer II
Explorer II
"I bet they will mail you a bill." - They will

I69 south through town to 288 on a Saturday isn't too bad these days. Weekdays would certainly be bad. Northbound 288 to I69 exchange is still a mess any day of the week.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
The I69 to 288 is not good but it's not as bad as it was before covid. There is the usual congestion at Minute Maid stadium & George Brown Center but it clears up before the 288 exit. Just take a deep breath and dive in.
How are you wanting to get to the Houston area from Tyler?
I would consider I59 to 99 to 6 to 288, or 36. 99 is toll with no booths. I bet they will mail you a bill.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider this for your trip to Freeport from Tyler. It will avoid downtown Houston:

* Get to I-10 in the Baytown area by way of your preferred route from Tyler.
* Take the TX-146 exit south from I-10 right after the Old & Lost River/Trinity bridges. There's a few lights, then you reenter a freeway.
* Take TX-146 across the Houston Ship Channel bridge, then exit TX-225 west on past the San Jacinto monument.
* Take the I-610 south/west exit to loop around downtown to the TX-288 south in the Reliant Stadium area (the key phrase here is "around downtown.")
* There is some construction at the 610/288 interchange, but another earlier post has said it is complete now.

TX-288 is a freeway several miles south of the 610 interchange.

I like the High Island/Bolivar/San Luis Pass/Surfside route, but this will give you a change of scenery without as much traffic and hassle as going through downtown Houston.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Per Trip Planner the Madisonville route adds 2 1/2 hrs to our destination of Bluewater RV Park. We will be going that way home as we are stopping in Sealy to visit my Wife's Sister.
I'm not afraid of driving in heavy traffic . I just prefer to avoid it if at all possible when towing our 5er.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
All the 288 construction is over. Traffic flows really well.
The only bottle neck is at the 69/ 288 exit. Usually a couple minute delay.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
It won't add that much time for your dually and 5er, but the cross country route is easier. Just a bit of stopping.

Personally, I don't like 288 from downtown Houston out to Almeda-Genoa Road, but it is up to you. I've done Madisonville to Sealy several times, and other than a bit slow, it is a good road.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT