cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air ride suspension or not?

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a F350 towing a Solitude 375RES. and don't have air ride suspension.

Looking at a new Ram 3500 do I get it or not? What do you like about your air ride ?
2017 Ford 350 SRW
Grand Design Solitude 375RES
may switch to a Ram
23 REPLIES 23

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dudes, no bad....
Itโ€™s all good. Track bar vs trac (traction) bar. You guys understand, some donโ€™t
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
And by track bar, 12V means traction bar (aka ladder bars for the old school guys!) not track bar as in keeps the axle located transversely. In this case the leafs do that

Sorry Tonto I did not mention track bar. Looks like Russ is the guilty one. :B

Hand up, my bad!:S
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
And by track bar, 12V means traction bar (aka ladder bars for the old school guys!) not track bar as in keeps the axle located transversely. In this case the leafs do that

Sorry Tonto I did not mention track bar. Looks like Russ is the guilty one. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
fowlthing wrote:
I currently have a F350 towing a Solitude 375RES. and don't have air ride suspension.

Looking at a new Ram 3500 do I get it or not? What do you like about your air ride ?

It's not air ride, it's air assist. Similar to adding bags to a normal leaf sprung truck, except on the Ram, the bags do more of the work and they're integrated for ride height.

True DAT!!!

dodge guy wrote:
The Ram 3500 air ride is more than just add on air bags. the leaf it has is just to locate the axle, the airbag is there to support the weight. the leaf springs alone cannot support the empty weight of the truck.

Definitely get it. I would also recommend some type of air supported hitch!

Air Ride or Air assisted ride, it still depends on the Air Bags to support the load.

The early version had upper Track Bars and a single leaf spring. The current version has two leafs, and a third lower heavy leaf which is actually the Track Bar. I think the current design doesn't require an additional bracket for the Track Bar.

Yes, the early design was to eliminate axle wrap. the current design does the same while providing some support in the event of a system failure.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
If I was buying a new Ram Iโ€™d get it. If I could add it to my Ford I wouldnโ€™t be willing to pay the 1500 Ram wants for it. Because itโ€™s a factory option on Ram I think youโ€™re apt to get something back on the resale so you might just as well get it. Have you test drive one with and one without? I wonder if you can notice the difference?

I can't tell any difference between my sons 2016 3500 crew cab short bed with factory air ,and my 2014 3500 Megacab without, they both ride a bit rough, mines not bad with the rear tires down around 45 psi unloaded .

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I was buying a new Ram Iโ€™d get it. If I could add it to my Ford I wouldnโ€™t be willing to pay the 1500 Ram wants for it. Because itโ€™s a factory option on Ram I think youโ€™re apt to get something back on the resale so you might just as well get it. Have you test drive one with and one without? I wonder if you can notice the difference?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Top pic is what they advertised leading up to the release for 2015. When I looked under my Factory ordered truck when it came in to the Dealer I was surprised to see pic two. I told the Manager I was not happy. He said if you don't like it bring it back. I liked it!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
fowlthing wrote:

It's not air ride, it's air assist. Similar to adding bags to a normal leaf sprung truck, except on the Ram, the bags do more of the work and they're integrated for ride height.

True DAT!!!

dodge guy wrote:
The Ram 3500 air ride is more than just add on air bags. the leaf it has is just to locate the axle, the airbag is there to support the weight. the leaf springs alone cannot support the empty weight of the truck.

Air Ride or Air assisted ride, it still depends on the Air Bags to support the load.

The early version had upper Track Bars and a single leaf spring. The current version has two leafs, and a third lower heavy leaf which is actually the Track Bar. I think the current design doesn't require an additional bracket for the Track Bar.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
fowlthing wrote:
SRW

You should be considering a DRW with that large of 5er. You will likely use most of your payload just on pin weight.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarneyS wrote:
Don't know about the 3500 but when I was driving my 2500 with the air ride, it was the most comfortable truck to drive I have ever had - both towing and not.
Barney

I can say for comparison my ride with 35psi In rear tires was better than a friends GMC 3500 SRW SB 4x4.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
fowlthing wrote:

True DAT!!!

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
SRW
2017 Ford 350 SRW
Grand Design Solitude 375RES
may switch to a Ram