Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Battery Meter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our most of our RVs we have kept it simple and used the plug in DC socket type on both interior and exterior of rig, a quick glance and we would have battery voltage and/or which phase our converter was currently charging in. We purchased a better quality unit that displayed battery voltage same as our Fluke, cheaper units were always a few tenths off which could be the difference between bulk and absorption phases. They use such a miniscule amount of power that we never had a need to unplug them, although it was easy peasy to do so.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you need any additional USB outlets?
Do you plan to get solar in the future?

I have something similar to this. It gives you USB ports, cig lighter, and voltage on a switch.

Dont buy the model i posted. The 2.1A USB is really old. The last USB port i bought was 3.0a and does fast charging. There might even be a newer style.

https://www.amazon.com/Kohree-Charger-Waterproof-Cigarette-Automotive/dp/B07T9HC65T/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=12v+power+panel&qid=1612998095&sr=8-6

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used one of the inexpensive ebay meters in my previous 5er, and put the BMV-702 in this one and I like the Victron MUCH better.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Victron Battery Monitor. Several different models, some with Bluetooth. Not cheap, but probably the best one out there.

Ditto. It's the BMV-712.
Best one available in my opinion.

Here's mine

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/21 04:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tri Metric 2030RV. Ive been using it for more than a decade to monotr my Trojan 125's flooded wet cells. %charge, Amps, Voltage, works great. My batts are $900 for the 4 so its a worthy investment.

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/21 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doclocke,

I have this discussion with owners all the time.

You can get a 3-1/2 display that will tell you the Terminal Voltage of t the bank and not much else. Or, you can install a real battery monitor like Bogart or Victron and know what is really happening.

The entire existence of a 12V bank is between 11.9 and 12.8 VDC. If it gets outside of those, there is something wrong and a the voltage tells you is how much trouble you are in at this moment.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Ditto. It's the BMV-712.
Best one available in my opinion.

Here's a giant screen I installed over the weekend to read the BMV-712 data via the Bluetooth Victron Connect app

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This tells me all I need to know:

[image]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

jrloucks

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/21 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was considering a nice flush mounted voltmeter to monitor the house battery. I even bought one which didn't work (got my money back). I eventually bought a portable cigarette lighter voltage monitor to plug into a cigarette lighter connected to the house battery.

[image]

The advantage of this unit is it's portable, and can be removed if the plug needs to be used to power something else. It doesn't require modifying the Systems Monitor, or cutting a hole to mount a more permanent meter. It can also be plugged into the dash cigarette lighter to check the chassis battery charge/status.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.