cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AZ hwy 88

turbopilot51
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know what AZ hwy 88 looks like for towing a large fifth wheel?
6 REPLIES 6

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Did that road south to north all the way to 188 and Roosevelt Lake a few years ago in a pick-up. Did get a surprise seeing a tour bus going south while on the gravel portion

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 drove it a few times in a truck. its no place for a rv. just think about it,two big class A,s on a tight turn, there is no place to go. could be hours backing up to let some one pass. but the view is great. go around threw globe to roosevelt lake longer but just as fast.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
As Janss linked, check the Open/Close status prior to any trip for the road section you plan to travel as various things can cause a closure. The paved section is doable in a large RV so long as you're aware that some section may require you to take up the whole width due to turns.

As for the unpaved sections, it's mostly doable but common for RV's (any tall vehicle) heading to Roosevelt Lake from AJ to get up and personal with the rockface from time to time. And if rutted, you're in for a jolting ride. Prior to the fire, it wasn't uncommon to find souvenirs from RVs along the rockface or even articles that were shaken loose from an RV. Also, along some stretches, the cliff side has no room to pull over so those on the rockside are expected to yield to them. That adds to the chances of scrapping the rocks in narrow lanes and turns.

I would say, once passed the towers (Fish and Game) and certainly ADOT, you may want to consider turning around even if the road is open.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Apache Trail status

From Apache Junction to Tortilla Flat, it is paved, open and would be okay for RVs. Just take it easy on the curves. I was on this paved portion couple years ago. I think they did some upgrades since then.

Looks like east of Tortilla Flat to Roosevelt dam/lake, it is closed. That whole stretch is a dirt road and I will barely take a car on it, definitely not a large RV. Haven't been on it in years though. Click on "images" tab on that website. There are a couple photos of paved section and a couple of dirt section.

From where to where are you trying to go?
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
We did it once with the truck only. It was 20+ miles of potholes, huge potholes. The second time was a year later and we turn back after a mile or two. The truck could take it but not us, no fun at all.
Of course this was a few years ago, things change.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Generally not advised, though I've certainly seen them on there.
Not sure if it is even open all the way eastbound yet -- somebody from there will be along soon to advise.