cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear Deck System Worth It?

ndanecker
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a GD 353g or 395m toy hauler and questioning if the rear deck system is worth the cost along with the sliding 3 season doors. Don't plan much boondocking so concerned about overall length in campsites and having enough space to keep the ramp door/patio open when parked. Considering it shouldn't be kept open during rain I'd probably keep the ramp door closed most of the time also so questioning if the 3 season doors are worth it also. Curious how others use this space and what their thoughts are. In theory I'm sure its a great place to hang but do people really use it, or is it more of a novelty that wears off after time? Space isn't that large either and we're family of 4 (not couples).
35 REPLIES 35

3TV
Explorer
Explorer
ndanecker wrote:
Looking at a GD 353g or 395m toy hauler and questioning if the rear deck system is worth the cost along with the sliding 3 season doors. Don't plan much boondocking so concerned about overall length in campsites and having enough space to keep the ramp door/patio open when parked. Considering it shouldn't be kept open during rain I'd probably keep the ramp door closed most of the time also so questioning if the 3 season doors are worth it also. Curious how others use this space and what their thoughts are. In theory I'm sure its a great place to hang but do people really use it, or is it more of a novelty that wears off after time? Space isn't that large either and we're family of 4 (not couples).

After reading this post it is apparent that the different RV manufacturers build their deck systems differently. Many of the comments in this thread do not apply to the Grand Design toy haulers you are looking at. Some people have reported that the deck system mounts to the ramp door and it makes opening and closing the door difficult because of the added weight, or because of the deck system sticking against the edges of the door opening, and they had to go inside and push the door open that way, instead of opening it from the outside. I don't know if you have looked at the Grand Design deck system, or opened one at a dealership yet, but it mounts to the door opening, and not the ramp door itself. It is a simple system to use, and only add another 30 seconds or so to the time needed to load a toy in the back of the toy hauler. With its design I can't see how it could get stuck.

Anyway, we are happy with the deck system on our Grand design, and are glad the trailer came with it. We don't need to use it every trip to be happy we have it on the trips we do use it. The only negative is that it subtracts about 6" of garage space. That isn't a problem with our 350G, which has plenty of garage space for our UTV.

I tried to find a picture of the Grand Design deck system. This is the best I could do. I hope you can see what I am talking about.

2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie SWB 4x4
2020 Lance 825
2021 Grand Design Momentum 350G

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes when I've camped at the beach I'll drag over a picnic bench and open the door on to the seat of the bench for a little patio it's not really level but it works and didn't cost a dime.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Hap_Hazard
Explorer
Explorer
Wow!

Back to the personal attacks. I recall when this site had a lot of users and the information exchange was fun and helpful. Then for a period of time it seemed like every other post was some kind of argument. I noticed a significant drop in active posters. Today it seems like we're a shadow of our former group.

I post and comment rarely anymore because of the negative feedback. I still follow the site but don't feel the pride and sense of sharing that was once here.

To the original post, I built my own cable system for my 2006 WW and have never regretted it. When the time is right we use it. When its not appropriate we don't. Doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

When I want it I'm glade its there.

Decide for yourself and don't worry about others. You've gotten a lot of feed back from both sides so I hope it has helped your decision making.

Hap

Tinbangertom
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 29G momentum, we added the 3season door can't wait to try it,Tom
:h Tom
:Z Laura
2020 Momentum 29G
2015 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
wow that went south in a hurry :B

letting bugs in, to long for some campsites, getting vd out on the deck, hopefully after dark :B (not exactly what was said but i find it funny) lol, all valid points to consider. plus the extra work of setting it up and putting it away, may be a hassle for some. i'll have an east west couch that will be down and in the way, which is why i opted for a side deck, with a 30" rv door rather than a sliding door. they installed a dog door in wall beside the door for one customer, which was a nice option. i will install a screen room for mine that i know i will use atleast 3 of our trips per year.

the railings eat up apprx 6" of garage space so for some with toys that only fit by a few inches that may not be usable.

i do like the tent/screen room option that atc offers for there rear ramp door. people with shorter toyhaulers and kids or pets may get use out of that option. does appear to be easier with 2 people. moryde has an inflatable room that i personally wouldn't buy as i would be afraid of puncturing it.
https://youtu.be/GpmQ9gyj6c0

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
What you folks are missing is that Everyone must agree with Everyone else or then you are Wrong and/or a Drooling Idiot. I think this is some kind of rule in the terms of service for the Inturweb or something.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
VD? What year is this?

And according to the ship's log. This marks the first argument over ramp patios on this forum.
VD, the gift that keeps on giving. ๐Ÿ™‚ Although to be fair, I guess it's STD now.

Woo hoo, a new record.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dedmiston
VD? What year is this?

And according to the ship's log. This marks the first argument over ramp patios on this forum.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
For a long time I had the same opinion about Smart phones as you do about Ramp patios. Then about 2 years ago, I finally got one. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

You don't know, what you don't know.

Happy camping.
Well, I've never had VD, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it, and have no intention of getting it just to confirm that opinion. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sometimes you know what you know.
I don't think anyone wants a disease.

Some minds are just closed longer than others.
So someone who doesn't agree with you has a closed mind? We'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm glad you like what you like and you aren't the final arbiter of what everyone likes.
Never said I was the final arbiter..... Your disease anaolgy was totally not applicable though. Just stating the obvious.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
For a long time I had the same opinion about Smart phones as you do about Ramp patios. Then about 2 years ago, I finally got one. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Happy camping.
Well, I've never had VD, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it, and have no intention of getting it just to confirm that opinion. ๐Ÿ™‚

So someone who doesn't agree with you has a closed mind? We'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm glad you like what you like and you aren't the final arbiter of what everyone likes.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
lamopar wrote:
This is something I spent a lot of time thinking about as well. I thought it would be nice but I don't want bugs in the toy hauler so keeping it open would not work. There are many places in state parks that it will not fit. I wouldn't use it at the coast as the sand will blow inside and it is enough getting the ATVs clean before leaving. I wouldn't use it in the high desert with the dust blowing in and I definitely can't use it ski camping. In the summer it doesn't have an awning to cover me from the sun or drizzle. My grill attaches in front of the entry door so it doesn't line up with cooking. I guess I could put my fire ring on there but I often burn the grass under it so I would be worried about damaging the door from the heat. The one positive thing I could imagine is keeping the dog up there but the leash works just fine. Therefor in the end we have not added this option to our newest toy hauler.

I have an awning for mine. I think most can be had that way nowadays.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Huntindog wrote:

Happy camping.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:

Happy camping.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
This is something I spent a lot of time thinking about as well. I thought it would be nice but I don't want bugs in the toy hauler so keeping it open would not work. There are many places in state parks that it will not fit. I wouldn't use it at the coast as the sand will blow inside and it is enough getting the ATVs clean before leaving. I wouldn't use it in the high desert with the dust blowing in and I definitely can't use it ski camping. In the summer it doesn't have an awning to cover me from the sun or drizzle. My grill attaches in front of the entry door so it doesn't line up with cooking. I guess I could put my fire ring on there but I often burn the grass under it so I would be worried about damaging the door from the heat. The one positive thing I could imagine is keeping the dog up there but the leash works just fine. Therefor in the end we have not added this option to our newest toy hauler.