Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Rear Deck System Worth It?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Rear Deck System Worth It?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
MikeDupont

TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you folks are missing is that Everyone must agree with Everyone else or then you are Wrong and/or a Drooling Idiot. I think this is some kind of rule in the terms of service for the Inturweb or something.

dsrace

home

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wow that went south in a hurry [emoticon]

letting bugs in, to long for some campsites, getting vd out on the deck, hopefully after dark [emoticon] (not exactly what was said but i find it funny) lol, all valid points to consider. plus the extra work of setting it up and putting it away, may be a hassle for some. i'll have an east west couch that will be down and in the way, which is why i opted for a side deck, with a 30" rv door rather than a sliding door. they installed a dog door in wall beside the door for one customer, which was a nice option. i will install a screen room for mine that i know i will use atleast 3 of our trips per year.

the railings eat up apprx 6" of garage space so for some with toys that only fit by a few inches that may not be usable.

i do like the tent/screen room option that atc offers for there rear ramp door. people with shorter toyhaulers and kids or pets may get use out of that option. does appear to be easier with 2 people. moryde has an inflatable room that i personally wouldn't buy as i would be afraid of puncturing it.
https://youtu.be/GpmQ9gyj6c0

[image]

* This post was edited 02/20/21 04:19pm by dsrace *

Tinbangertom

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/21 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased a 29G momentum, we added the 3season door can't wait to try it,Tom

"> Tom
"> Laura
2020 Momentum 29G
2015 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Hap Hazard

Mammoth Lakes

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/21 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow!

Back to the personal attacks. I recall when this site had a lot of users and the information exchange was fun and helpful. Then for a period of time it seemed like every other post was some kind of argument. I noticed a significant drop in active posters. Today it seems like we're a shadow of our former group.

I post and comment rarely anymore because of the negative feedback. I still follow the site but don't feel the pride and sense of sharing that was once here.

To the original post, I built my own cable system for my 2006 WW and have never regretted it. When the time is right we use it. When its not appropriate we don't. Doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

When I want it I'm glade its there.

Decide for yourself and don't worry about others. You've gotten a lot of feed back from both sides so I hope it has helped your decision making.

Hap

Dirtclods

Newport Beach

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes when I've camped at the beach I'll drag over a picnic bench and open the door on to the seat of the bench for a little patio it's not really level but it works and didn't cost a dime.

3TV

Rocky Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/21 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ndanecker wrote:

Looking at a GD 353g or 395m toy hauler and questioning if the rear deck system is worth the cost along with the sliding 3 season doors. Don't plan much boondocking so concerned about overall length in campsites and having enough space to keep the ramp door/patio open when parked. Considering it shouldn't be kept open during rain I'd probably keep the ramp door closed most of the time also so questioning if the 3 season doors are worth it also. Curious how others use this space and what their thoughts are. In theory I'm sure its a great place to hang but do people really use it, or is it more of a novelty that wears off after time? Space isn't that large either and we're family of 4 (not couples).

After reading this post it is apparent that the different RV manufacturers build their deck systems differently. Many of the comments in this thread do not apply to the Grand Design toy haulers you are looking at. Some people have reported that the deck system mounts to the ramp door and it makes opening and closing the door difficult because of the added weight, or because of the deck system sticking against the edges of the door opening, and they had to go inside and push the door open that way, instead of opening it from the outside. I don't know if you have looked at the Grand Design deck system, or opened one at a dealership yet, but it mounts to the door opening, and not the ramp door itself. It is a simple system to use, and only add another 30 seconds or so to the time needed to load a toy in the back of the toy hauler. With its design I can't see how it could get stuck.

Anyway, we are happy with the deck system on our Grand design, and are glad the trailer came with it. We don't need to use it every trip to be happy we have it on the trips we do use it. The only negative is that it subtracts about 6" of garage space. That isn't a problem with our 350G, which has plenty of garage space for our UTV.

I tried to find a picture of the Grand Design deck system. This is the best I could do. I hope you can see what I am talking about.

[image]

2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie SWB 4x4
2020 Lance 825
2021 Grand Design Momentum 350G

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Rear Deck System Worth It?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.