Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need Help Deciding which feature for trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Need Help Deciding which feature for trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
blaczero

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the biggest advantages of the outdoor kitchen is the fridge outside while you're traveling. We stock the fridge with our meals and drinks for travel day, then every gas stop we can let them eat. When we are on site, it's a nice storage area for more food, since we have 3 kids.

I do agree however, it's nice to have LP hookups around the rig so you can put your grill where you want.

The only other point is re-sale-ability. The outdoor kitchen is desirable generally.

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/21 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot depends on how you plan to use the trailer. The outside fridge is nice if you are plugged into shore power, but useless if you are not. The main fridge runs off of propane when you are boondocking, the bar fridge in the outside kitchen is 120v only.

The outside door to the lav is in theory a good idea to keep the little ones from tracking through the trailer, but I wouldn't want to have a door there if I was camping in cooler temps, those doors are not insulated that well. If it was a big trailer with 1.5 baths, I could see an outdoor entry to the half bath.

The hardest part of buying the first trailer is visualizing how you will use it, i.e., the type of camping you will do. Buy what you think you will like, and go from there.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/21 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When considering an outside kitchen, ask how that outside refrigerator is powered and how you will make that happen. Don't accept the idea that you can travel with it off, a cooler it is not. Ask if the stove is always connected and is it large enough to be useful. Ask where the waste water is captured and what to do with it.

Personally I would want the refrigerator inside close to the door accessible at all times, and a bathroom easily accessible with the slide in or out.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO in most situations, an outside kitchen is eye candy. sort of like a fake fireplace, J couch, etc. the refrigerator is too small for drinks and a small igloo cooler more practical.
bumpy

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never thought the kitchen was good unless you had kids then they stay outside and is a better deal for keeping trailer clean. The first thing I do is have the Jayco place move the gas line to the forward side of the trailer just under the awning then my grill sits on its own stand dry and away from the trailer enough to grill in its own spot. Also we spent winter in Fl at our own site and have a shed with a nice refrig. Life is good if you can plan it.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not a fan of outdoor kitchens. They steal too much interior space.

If you want a grill outside, get an extra table. They make some really good compressor "cooler" style refrigerators that will hold a lot more drinks AND at a colder temperature.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the outdoor kitchens I've seen have the cheapest junk for cooking. Some of the grills look worthless. Sinks don't always drain into the RV's grey tank. If it has a fridge it needs 120V.
The other issue is some outdoor kitchens are located at the rear side of the RV past the awning. If it's really hot out or raining then there's no cover while cooking.
We prefer a simple table with a Weber Q.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any married man knows the correct thing to do is ask your wife what she wants.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Most of the outdoor kitchens I've seen have the cheapest junk for cooking. Some of the grills look worthless. Sinks don't always drain into the RV's grey tank. If it has a fridge it needs 120V.
The other issue is some outdoor kitchens are located at the rear side of the RV past the awning. If it's really hot out or raining then there's no cover while cooking.
We prefer a simple table with a Weber Q.

X2 the Weber is the most sought after RV grill.......... never get a grill for home or otherwise without a cast iron grate !!!

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our latest trailer, we originally sought a unit with outdoor kitchen but then found a floorplan that trumped that desire.

It's just the wife and I now and we much prefer cooking with charcoal or even an open fire so carry a small grill and table each trip.

Regarding 2 doors vs 1......a bedroom door was a must for us and would have been a deal breaker had our unit not had 2 doors.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Need Help Deciding which feature for trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.