Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Website ??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Website ??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Directly pasting the full web addresses into the top browser bar (not the search engine bar) takes me right to your websites..

Entering the same full web addresses in the search engine bar (which is set to Google search engine) only gets results for the billdelory website.

No results for wildlife website (although I didn't scroll through the all the pages of results).

Using Dogpile I get same results as Google..

So, your websites ARE up and running and available, the downside is they may not have been indexed yet by the search engine web spiders or not had enough traffic to get noticed and indexed by search engine spiders. Lack of traffic can be an issue on getting up the list but regardless since I used the entire web address, it should have matched that address in my searches..

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's what I can't grasp. IF I do a search, that's one thing. But if I write out a website address, it should only go direct to that website. I'm not using search terms, I'm using a web address in the search bar.

Maybe searches don't work the way I think. Following up, if I paste a link in FB or other SM, the link works. All point to the personal website, for now. It will eventually have its own - but for now, its just pointing as we develop the website and the NPO. Thanks for all your help guys ... it makes me less bummed about the connection. Will probably work out eventually as we get organized and change it over. Probably months away still.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you are seeing is the search engines are looking for already "weighted" indexed "key word searches".

In a nutshell, websites with high traffic loads within the keywords gives a set of results showing all of the higher ranked (and busy websites) results at the top of the list.

Yours just may not have enough "hits" to make it on the search engines index list yet..

For instance if I enter the entire RV.net address into the google search bar, it will return results with the entire RV.net address at the top of the list.. Long established website with a lot of traffic gets to the top of search engine lists..

It is why it is important to remove those spammer posts from the forum.. The more places they can post their websites, the higher they get on the index lists as the web spiders find those posted spammer websites on other legit websites like RV.net.

Takes time to get a freshly minted legit website to get noticed in search engines indexing lists..

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mac here with Firefox & Chrome. Both got me right there.

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both links open fine for me with Firefox.
Silly question but you mentioned the search bar twice in your posts. Are you making sure to type the address into the top and not into the search bar in the middle of the screen? I ask because I've made that same mistake a few times in the past
[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Both links open fine for me with Firefox.
Silly question but you mentioned the search bar twice in your posts. Are you making sure to type the address into the top and not into the search bar in the middle of the screen? I ask because I've made that same mistake a few times in the past
[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

OP is trying it in the "middle screen" search box and it is not finding their website..

And yes, it doesn't work correctly for me as I have tried it..

The address bar works fine, it is a search engine issue..

I suspect since search engine uses keywords more so than web addresses it isn't finding the website partly due to it being low on KEYWORD indexing which is how search engines work..

Try the OPs full web addresses in the middle search engine, I suspect you will have the same result I have..

Generally you can put a full web address into the search bar and it will find the website and place near the top of the list IF it is well established and has been found and indexed by the search engines..

I have done this many times over the yrs to avoid accidentally entering a bad URL and potentially hitting a bad website..

Try a known FULL website address like Home Depot or Lowes, those WILL show up using the search engine box in the middle of the screen..

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer - you are correct, middle search box. But I thought it also searched a website if you type it in ... looks like that's my mistake - when I make a link, or type it in header box, it's always worked properly. But I could not figure out why a search engine would not bring it up with just the address ... now I understand it a bit better.

Altho, the middle box does bring it up as an address but not near the top ... it's down the page link list a ways. SO, I have learned a lesson today ... thanks again all for your assistance -- M44 Stay safe, and happy camping.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/21 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

Gdetrailer - you are correct, middle search box. But I thought it also searched a website if you type it in ... looks like that's my mistake - when I make a link, or type it in header box, it's always worked properly. But I could not figure out why a search engine would not bring it up with just the address ... now I understand it a bit better.

Altho, the middle box does bring it up as an address but not near the top ... it's down the page link list a ways. SO, I have learned a lesson today ... thanks again all for your assistance -- M44 Stay safe, and happy camping.

Confusing for sure but top address bar will not only take you directly to the website but OPEN that website, no prompts, no warnings.

Using the search bar under the big Firefox logo in the middle of the screen launches a search engine and generally when you type in or copy and paste a full address will search and find any site on the web and show the search results without opening a website.

Since search engines list their results using keywords, the website you are wanting to find sometimes may be low on the results list.. Has to do with how many times the keywords have been found on the web..

I honestly like using a web search when accessing a site address that I am not familiar with. This allows me to find the website and then read the "description" that the search engine gives..

Here is a snip of a search in Dogpile for Lowes using their full web address..

[image]

Notice the text under the website that shows, that is a description of the website.. I read that description before entering the website to make sure I am reaching the intended website.

In this case, I would choose the top one since I am sure that is the official website, otherwise I look down the search list to find the real website.

Scammers and spoofers will often get web addresses that are very similar to the business they are targeting, often they mangle the address by one letter or a number..

Learned this trick way back when AOL started the "unlimited" Internet service.. All it takes is accidentally miss spelling the web address and you can land on a forged look alike website..

I only use the top address bar IF I know it is legit or the chances of misspelling is not a big factor or potential issue..

Even address links in emails makes me suspicious so I use a search engine before I even think of opening those..

This simple action has kept my PCs virus free for yrs..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Website ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.