Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1977 Dodge Sportsman RV

Ashton1012
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone

I’m working on my 1977 Dodge Sportsman RV with the 360 engine. I have the fuel tank out to clean it, and need to replace the fuel sending unit. Problem I’m having is I can’t seem to find the right one. None of the pictures look similar, and I don’t want to order the wrong one. Anyone able to help me out? I can’t figure out how to attach a picture but I could email one.
9 REPLIES 9

Old_timer_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
If you still want to find the original manual for this motorhome you can find one for two week free rental from the internet archives.

Tip on cleaning the sender unit if that is the cause of you problems, get a spray can of electrical contact cleaner and spray inside the electrical compartment. Exercise the sender a few times and spray again. repeat as needed. then take a Ohme meter to the contact and ground to see if you have a variance in reading.

I don't know if you got the stalling at stop lights and signs sorted out, I would presume after heavy braking. But I would be checking for a "DASHPOT" or anti-stall solenoid. Obviously have the mechanic re torque the carb etc.

I own 1978 empress on a Dodge MB300 chassis so at times have the same problem.
dfhslm@telus.net
Dodge user

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
What comes to mind is the size of the fuel tank.I would look up other Dodge trucks with the same size tank and maybe gain some information from that. I had a K-5 Blazer

once and had a difficult time getting motor mounts. Finally a sharp parts counter guy said that during that model year they built that vehicle AND certain catering truck type

vehicles on the same chassis, so next time i ordered parts i ordered them using that information....who knew...

I mention this because sometimes we need to look a little past what we have. A motorhome starts with a bare chassis, drivable, so there's a fuel tank on it. What else could

they use that chassis for, maybe a shuttle bus? That may give you another idea of what to look up.........

Ashton1012
Explorer
Explorer
Good find!! I made a post on there. Thank you

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a long running thread on Dodge based Motorhomes,a post over there might get some good answers.

Dodge Based RV
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Ashton1012
Explorer
Explorer
My next best option is to take it into a parts store to see if they can help me out. Haven’t had time to do that yet so wanted to check on here first

Ashton1012
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip!! Here’s a picture

I’ve tried rock auto. The problem is the closest vehicle I can search is a dodge b300. They came with different sized fuel tanks so idk if the suggested sending units would work. There isn’t really identifying markers on the old one to help either 😕

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Or, service/parts at an FCA dealership? They may not have one, but may be able to help locate one.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Did you try Rockauto ?

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
to attach a photo, use this
photo posting